Monterey

mrsihopes

We drove to Monterey on Wednesday the 13th to spend a couple of days.    Saw a Princess ship leaving on the morning of the 13th, it was about 9 or so in the morning.    They could not tender into the port as it was windy.   Does this happen often for the Monterey port.   We are taking a coastal cruise in October so was wondering about that.   

Live in San Francisco Bay area... windy weather on the coast more common in winter/spring... October weather is great... we have what we call Indian Summer on the California coast in September and October.  I have lived here 72 years, the fall is my favorite time of year... so think you will enjoy it.    I am doing a 7 day coast cruise leave on March 30, out of San Francisco, did one in the fall a few years back... great weather.  On the cruise this year, I know weather is anyone's guess, we have been having a wet and windy winter, still raining in the spring here, last week was the windiest I have seen.    So I will keep my fingers crossed for the first week in April, we enjoy the ship anyway... only port I plan to get off at is Santa Barbara weather permitting.   Enjoy your cruise. 

I used to live in Monterey.   actually, failures to tender due to winds was pretty rare as the bay is  well protected.   that being said,  port calls  by and of themselves are pretty rare.  

there really is too much to do  that a land trip would be better.  even a long weekend offers more opportunities.  

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

never knew ships went to Monterrey,very interesting.

Oldest son lives in Monterey. So far his godfather and our neighbors have visited him while their ships were in port. 

The last few weeks haven't been very nice weather-wise - rain and wind. Son is looking forward to nicer (golfing) weather.

16 hours ago, mrsihopes said:

We drove to Monterey on Wednesday the 13th to spend a couple of days.    Saw a Princess ship leaving on the morning of the 13th, it was about 9 or so in the morning.    They could not tender into the port as it was windy.   Does this happen often for the Monterey port.   We are taking a coastal cruise in October so was wondering about that.   

I live in California and it was extremely windy that day, in fact for several days.  So I would say that is not the norm.