Cell phones on ship.

fred549

Hello,

Will cell phones work on board for only contacting other members of our party? We don't need the internet. And if so, is there a cost?

We will be on the Carnival Pride.

Thank you,

Fred.

1 hour ago, fred549 said:

Saint Greg,

My wife and I are both dinosaurs when it comes to phones. We both have basic flip phones. So no apps for us.

Thanks for the reply though.

Buy some 2 way radios. That is what we did. 

2 hours ago, fred549 said:

Will cell phones work on board for only contacting other members of our party? We don't need the internet. And if so, is there a cost?

Yes, as others said, cell phones will work, but will be very expensive. Keep in mind that you call is not going from one phone to another, but being bounced from one phone, to the ships antenna to a satellite, back down to the antenna and to the other phone. If you need to contact each other on board, in your case with your flip phones, I would definitely look into a pair of inexpensive two way walkie talkies.

On one of our early cruises, my daughter was texting back & forth with her boyfriend back home (unbeknownst to us).  There was no charge for the texts she received, but we were charged 50 cents for every text she sent.  They had to pay us back for the charges.  Anyway, that was over 10 years ago.  I suggest you check with your cell carrier & see what kind of charges would be incurred.

We also have walkie talkies, but we don't always hear them if we are in a noisy place.  They have come in handy on excursions when half of us are on one and the other half are on a different one.  Then we can let each other know when we are back at port & where to meet.  

Cell phones can communicate in two ways. 1. Cell service, 2. Through internet (WiFi or data). Many people on the ship Who you will see using their phone have bought the WiFi package. If you have a flip phone cell service is probably you only option. You will not be connected to your network so you will pay roaming rates to use. On the ship it will be through cellular at sea and on land it will be through a local carrier. You’ll pay a per minute fee for phone calls and a per text fee (usually to send and receive although sending is generally more expensive). And assuming you are texting between yourselves you’ll pay double since you are paying for both phones. The charges would rack up fast to use them like you would at home although you could do an occasional text here and there and probably keep it under $20. Not completely up on current rates but pretty sure w Verizon it was in the neighborhood of 50 cents to send and 10 cents to receive. So a text and response back from two people on the ship would cost around $1.20.

Edited by sanger727

I am traveling on Carnival Splendor next week. If you get the WiFi for ~$7/day, then you can download 'WhatsApp' and text all you want... texts are through the app, no additional cost from your carrier.

This app also has call feature, but not sure if it will work on the ship (will find out and report results in 2 weeks)

Edited by corlyf
typo

If you just have basic flip phones, shut them off and leave them in the safe.

Unfortunately, there won't be a way to communicate with each other for no charge. 

With regards to 2 way radioes, please do a search on the whole board first. They don't work very well.

Get some post-it notes or a magnetic dry erase board. Let each other know where you are going, and if that changes, just leave a note for the other person. Also, there are phones all over the ship that will call your cabin, if one of you happens to be there.

18 hours ago, fred549 said:

Saint Greg,

My wife and I are both dinosaurs when it comes to phones. We both have basic flip phones. So no apps for us.

Thanks for the reply though.

I think "dinosaurs" have it right.  God knows how much time I've wasted with my so-called smart phone.  Anyway, I'm willing to bet that your phones are not going to work for you on the ship.  I'd go the walkie-talkie route, albeit not perfect itself.  Good luck