A Singleton in a Balcony cabin worth it?

Judyrem

I know I should probably post this on the solo board, but I would like your input on my idea.

I am a widow turning 70 YIKES!:classic_ohmy:   I want to go on a  week long HAL Neiuw Statendam cruise over my birthday  unfortunately all of my friends and relatives can't go because it is too close to Thanksgiving.

I know about supplements for a balcony cabin it will be an average of 400$ for everything.  I don't think it is too expensive.

Thoughts? 

Only you can decide how important having a balcony is.  If you feel that not having one is a deal breaker for your cruise, then by all means, pay the supplement.  If you can happily do without a balcony, why pay the extra?  I've sailed in every category cabin HA offers, except for PS, and personally, I've enjoyed and used my balcony when I can afford it.  You should also consider your itinerary.  Is it an itinerary where the views are all important, such as the vistas in Alaska?  Since it's close to Thanksgiving,  you must be sailing the Caribbean, right?  $400 supplement on top of a regular fare isn't much, IMO.  I'm booked for Christmas week this year in a balcony and was charged another total fare, $1300 for the cabin.  That's $2600 before taxes and fees.  From my perspective, you have a bargain!  I'd go for it, if I were you.  But again, only you can decide if it's worth the extra money.  Did this help at all? 

Absolutely get the balcony.  There may be times when you just want some peace and quiet and want to kick off your shoes, sit and enjoy the serenity of the ocean.  There's plenty of time for socializing if you like, but just being able to get away is wonderful!  

Worth it - I think you will enjoy the breathing room private space on the balcony a lot. I tried an inside as a "solo" once and never again, even though it was in a very good location and cabin was very nice. I just needed the connection to the outside.

Others do love insides, particularly for the solo cost savings and one can easily be only a few steps from an outside deck. But for me not having the privacy and natural daylight and fresh air of the balcony was too much to lose.  However, should I be faced with more double-costs for a solo or no cruising, I suspect I will quickly find a way to be very happy with an inside.

Like this cruise industry trend to be adding intentionally solo-priced cabins in various categories..

• Like 1

I love all your upbeat positive responses makes me feel better!  THANKS!

I LOVE my  Mother ocean and everything about it. I am/was a diver and I love to snorkel. I can afford it but I don't like to be a spendthrift.

Yet, this a milestone birthday and I want to do it.

I am waiting to hear from my sister in law, she is mulling it over.  If she can't come, then I am going solo.

• Like 3

Really it's a highly personal decision. You know yourself much better than we do. Have you cruised before?  What category room?  If in a balcony, did you spend a lot of time there?

I am a solo cruiser and I am fine in any cabin. I tend to not spend much time in my cabin, and in fact I'd rather be out and about on the ship. (So for me, finding a place on an outside deck to sit and read or watch the water is more enticing than sitting on my balcony....)

At any rate, think about what you want and can afford and then decide!

Depending on the ship, you could consider a retreat cabana instead of the balcony. We had balcony for a Christmas cruise and hardly used it because we had the cabana which was wonderful with the lounges, could be in the sun or not, stewards, iced water, (on the Nieuw Statendam had a hot tub), etc.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

I love all your upbeat positive responses makes me feel better!  THANKS!

I LOVE my  Mother ocean and everything about it. I am/was a diver and I love to snorkel. I can afford it but I don't like to be a spendthrift.

Yet, this a milestone birthday and I want to do it.

I am waiting to hear from my sister in law, she is mulling it over.  If she can't come, then I am going solo.

If you love the ocean, then you do want the balcony. You don't want to spend your birthday in an OV cabin wishing you could have that connection with the ocean. Plus, NS doesn't have loungers on the promenade deck.

Enjoy!!

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Yes, my DH and I were on a Mediterranean cruise and an Alaska cruise with a big group and we did have a balcony.

I also like to just stare at the water.  Maybe have room service on my balcony one evening.  

I miss my husband desperately and he died two years ago.  We traveled everywhere.

Edited by Judyrem
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

Yes, my DH and I were on a Mediterranean cruise and an Alaska cruse with a big group and we did have a balcony.

I also like to just stare at the water.  Maybe have room service on my balcony one evening.  

I miss my husband desperately and he died two years ago.  We traveled everywhere.

If this is your first solo cruise, definitely get the balcony cabin. I'm more recently widowed, and I've cruised solo twice. HAL doesn't offer much to do during the day, so I found it nice to sit on my balcony rather than deal with poolside chair hogs or not having someone to "watch my stuff" while I went to get a snack at the Lido. You may find times when you need your cabin and balcony as a refuge from "feeling alone in a crowd." 

I don't like to eat alone, so I did the traditional dining at a large table in order to have the same waiters and dining companions each night. I found that easier than doing the introductions each night. 

Check out the roll call for your cruise. The roll call for my recent cruise was good, and in two ports I did tours with people I "met" in the roll call. 

• Like 4

Excellent advice 3rdGen.  I was wondering about eating in the MDR and I think it makes sense to sit at a large table.  I like people and have no trouble getting acquainted

I actually did the pricing on a big box TA and all together it was 2683$.  I think that is very reasonable for an aft balcony cabin!

13 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

Excellent advice 3rdGen.  I was wondering about eating in the MDR and I think it makes sense to sit at a large table.  I like people and have no trouble getting acquainted

I actually did the pricing on a big box TA and all together it was 2683$.  I think that is very reasonable for an aft balcony cabin!

Ohhh, an aft balcony! Grab it! 

1 hour ago, VennDiagram said:

If you want it, and can afford it, do it 🙂     Remember: "Drink the wine, buy the shoes, eat dessert"  Enjoy what you want, while you can ❤️

Totaly  agree.....you can always get more money ...you can not get more time !!!     Money is a too, don't treat as a possession.

• Like 1

From another solo traveler and aft stateroom officienado, do grab an aft stateroom and enjoy your ocean.  The sound of the wake and the amazing panorama views for photographs are well worth it.  We have a number of solos on my two roll calls on the Nieuw Statendam in December.

I have been cruising solo for coming on 20 years now, mainly in an inside cabin. But I have had a balcony cabin a couple of times. I recommend treating yourself, especially for this milestone birthday cruise. Who knows if you will be able to do it for the next milestone birthday! It's not a commitment to a balcony cabin for every cruise hereafter, don't ya know. If you don't treat yourself well, who is going to do it for you?

The first cruise after becoming a widow is tough. It will be nice to have a place to escape to when you need it. As time goes on, and you cruise solo more and more, it gets easier.

Have a great time!

• Like 5

As a solo cruiser most of the time, I would not hesitate to book a veranda stateroom.  When the price has been right, I have even booked a Signature Suite as well as a Neptune Suite.

It's very pleasant to sit on one's veranda and enjoy the sights and sounds of the sea without other distractions.  And, on a clear night, God's handiwork in the heavens can best be viewed from one's veranda since so many of the exterior decks are so brightly lit.

• Like 1

I've been cruising solo and have usually booked a balcony.  My last cruise was a Transatlantic and decided I wouldn't be sitting outside that much, so booked an Oceanview.  I really missed that balcony.  I love sitting out watching the sunrise and sunset, listening to the ocean and breathing the fresh air.  If you can afford it, GO FOR IT!!!!

6 hours ago, oceanmom said:

Depending on the ship, you could consider a retreat cabana instead of the balcony. We had balcony for a Christmas cruise and hardly used it because we had the cabana which was wonderful with the lounges, could be in the sun or not, stewards, iced water, (on the Nieuw Statendam had a hot tub), etc.

This is what I was going to suggest - spend the $400 on a Retreat Cabana rather than the balcony.

LANAI CABIN

If I were solo passenger and knowing I will pay double , I would also consider a Lanai cabin if they are available on the ship you are considering.

Nice ocean views, easy outdoor access, slightly cheaper than a balcony and the "world" comes by your doorstep if you enjoy people watching and meeting and greeting your row of fellow lanai cabin mates. Personally I think Lanai cabins are small for two people, but they could be ideal for just one.

The "world" being those who regularly do the 360 promenade deck walk, who you will get to know in time. Nice people.

Edited by OlsSalt