Mini instant beach tent

sydbarrett

15 minutes ago, agibeault said:

Just bought a mini pop-up beach tent (folds into a circle, 18" diameter) that I plan to carry on the plane and use at beaches in port. Has anyone tried this? It will either be a major regret or a game changer :classic_biggrin:

If that 18" circle can't fold in half, it may be considered oversized for a carry-on item since it won't fit in the sizing box at the gate agent's stand.

8 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If that 18" circle can't fold in half, it may be considered oversized for a carry-on item since it won't fit in the sizing box at the gate agent's stand.

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't think of that! I've never been measured in Canada but one time in Mexico...and there's a chance I may fly United so that could be an issue. I wonder how it will look tucked under my shirt...

45 minutes ago, agibeault said:

Just bought a mini pop-up beach tent (folds into a circle, 18" diameter) that I plan to carry on the plane and use at beaches in port. Has anyone tried this? It will either be a major regret or a game changer :classic_biggrin:

Hi

I used one of those a number of times for my wife when we went to beaches I knew had no shade. My wife couldn't stay in the sun like that. I also had one of those roll up beach mats for her to lay on. She was short enough that she was able to lie down using the towels for pillows an was able to read comfortably. 

While it did work for the purpose intended,  I wouldn't call it a game changer. While in there, you get little air flow. So, if it is hot out, you will be even hotter in there. If it too windy, you just won't be able to use it. I brought more robust pegs than the ones supplied. You don't get much holding power in sand, and it doesn't take much wind to make it awkward to put up. Also, I would suggest a little practice, before you go to the beach, both putting up and taking down.

I would say...only if you really need it.

have a great cruise

2 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Of course you may bring it.  Go ahead.  It's not that onerous to carry it...so do it!

Perhaps you are unclear on the concept. At 18" diameter (and unfoldable), that collapsible disc may meet the 22" airline carry-on length limit but it exceeds the 14" width limit. It could fit in most overhead storage units but definitely not under the seat. 

Whether the gate agent would turn it away is an unknown. But, increasingly they do often say no to oversized items, particularly on full flights.

6 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Perhaps you are unclear on the concept. At 18" diameter (and unfoldable), that collapsible disc may meet the 22" airline carry-on length limit but it exceeds the 14" width limit. It could fit in most overhead storage units but definitely not under the seat. 

Whether the gate agent would turn it away is an unknown. But, increasingly they do often say no to oversized items, particularly on full flights.

That poster is unclear about MOST concepts.

Just put them on your "ignored user" list and don't bother trying to teach them anything -- they never come back and respond, they just go around sprinkling their version of truth wherever they please.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

I used one of those a number of times for my wife when we went to beaches I knew had no shade. My wife couldn't stay in the sun like that. I also had one of those roll up beach mats for her to lay on. She was short enough that she was able to lie down using the towels for pillows an was able to read comfortably. 

While it did work for the purpose intended,  I wouldn't call it a game changer. While in there, you get little air flow. So, if it is hot out, you will be even hotter in there. If it too windy, you just won't be able to use it. I brought more robust pegs than the ones supplied. You don't get much holding power in sand, and it doesn't take much wind to make it awkward to put up. Also, I would suggest a little practice, before you go to the beach, both putting up and taking down.

I would say...only if you really need it.

have a great cruise

I agree with a good part of this. We brought one too, and it worked out decently. Saved a ton of money too. Not a game-changer though.

On 3/17/2019 at 3:00 PM, agibeault said:

Problem solved - put in your checked bag.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zqvol said:

Problem solved - put in your checked bag.

I think this sounds like the best option! Just found out I have a free checked bag so it's worth a try. If it doesn't work out, the tent was only $20. I won't even try using it in Aruba.

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

Where did you buy it?

Aliexpress - if  you don't mind waiting for it to come in the mail a month or two later, you can get some really good deals! A lot of the stuff you see from Amazon originates from there. I got the Keumer one, but there are others. Probably not a bad place to get a snorkel or a mini waterproof camera either.

20 hours ago, agibeault said:

Aliexpress - if  you don't mind waiting for it to come in the mail a month or two later, you can get some really good deals! A lot of the stuff you see from Amazon originates from there. I got the Keumer one, but there are others. Probably not a bad place to get a snorkel or a mini waterproof camera either.

Thank you agibeault. Very responsive and Very clear.    :classic_wink: