This is why you should not stay in Downtown Seattle

chewap

The documentary "Seattle is dying" is a true picture of downtown Seattle.   Most people in Seattle and surrounding communities do not go to downtown Seattle.  This  documentary is one of the reasons to stay out of Seattle.  Stay at Sea Tac, Bellevue, Edmonds, or any close cities that are close to

the cruise terminal, where the hotels are considerably cheaper.   

https://komonews.com/news/local/komo-news-special-seattle-is-dying

Edited by chewap
spelling
  • Like 1

I disagree.  I live in Seattle and have lived here my entire life, aside from college.   I go downtown frequently, as do my friends & the people I worked with.  I worked near downtown in the first hill area for decades.   There are issues with homeless in the downtown area, and there is the same in the other areas of town like queen anne, ballard, northgate, it's everywhere.   Along with Sea Tac and the suburbs.  

Way over dramatic. Yes, there are homeless, unfortunately like many cities. Does that mean the city is dying? Absolutely not.

Have stayed in many city downtowns, including Seattle several times (and a visit coming up in June). Yes, the homeless problem exists and it is very annoying. But this is so overcooked.

By the way, this is not a news story. It is an editorial. It should not be taken as a news story.

• Like 1

Another Seattle resident here who thinks this was a bit of serious muckraking on KOMO's part, consistent with their new out-of-town ownership's political views.  Their diagnoses and proposed solutions all sound reasonable, that is until you know anything about Washington law or pay any attention to constitutional rights.  Then, not so much.

Seattle is a big American city with big-city issues, but the piece made it sound like the city is wall-to-wall junkies and drunks.  It isn't.  Crime against tourists is extremely rare in the city, and your pre- or post-cruise visit is going to be terrific.  

• Like 2

'Most' seems a bit unlikely - especially considering that 'most' of those communities around Seattle would be a tiny fraction of their size if it were not for folks with jobs in Seattle choosing to live there and commute!!! But I guess working there doesn't count as 'going there'...? I guess literally every single person I know from WA is among the minority🙄

Folks who travel are aware that this is a Big City problem in general and a Left Coast problem more specifically down to the simple fact that a milder climate makes homelessness more survivable - this is not a Seattle problem. While personally I'd choose Vancouver or Portland over Seattle that in no way detracts from Seattle's position as one of the best US cities for both tourism and general day-to-day quality of life - googling 'best places to live' or 'best places to visit' you'll find it's always up there in the top 10 for the country.

Seattle is one of my favorite cities in the United States.  All cities, regardless of where they are or their size, have issues.  The city where I live has been declared dying (or dead) more than once in the 5+ decades I have lived here.  We are still here and "another corner has been turned"' and we are currently in an up-swing of the community's fortunes.  That will be Seattle's experience as well.

Seattle is a great tourist destination!

So, basically you should avoid any people who are less fortunate than you because it will ruin your vacation? I live just east of Seattle and I rent hotels in Downtown Seattle all the time. Seattle is not dying! We have a fantastic art scene, nightlife and music industry all in downtown Seattle. The shopping is top notch. The food in downtown is unbelievably diverse and delicious and don't even get me started on our small breweries and local whiskeys. They are fantastic. Downtown Seattle is anything but dead. It is amazing and it shouldn't be missed if you have a chance

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peckishpixie said:

So, basically you should avoid any people who are less fortunate than you because it will ruin your vacation? I live just east of Seattle and I rent hotels in Downtown Seattle all the time. Seattle is not dying! We have a fantastic art scene, nightlife and music industry all in downtown Seattle. The shopping is top notch. The food in downtown is unbelievably diverse and delicious and don't even get me started on our small breweries and local whiskeys. They are fantastic. Downtown Seattle is anything but dead. It is amazing and it shouldn't be missed if you have a chance

Thank you for sharing.  I was worried about my layover.  

Glad the video "Seattle is dying" was posted. Eric Johnson is a longtime TV anchor in Seattle and his picture of Seattle is very thought provoking. As a Seattle native who now lives SE of the city it breaks my heart to see what has happened to such a beautiful place. Our daughter lives near the UW campus so we travel into the city often but we rarely go downtown because of the traffic as well as the homeless problems on the streets. If you go into the city be aware that there are many homeless tents, trash and drug users near the tourist areas. Please be safe!

This is the most classist thread I have ever read. Statistically, crime is likelier to go down than up in neighborhoods that host city-sanctioned encampments. Some people are not lucky enough to go on cruises, in fact they cant even live in  home. Being poor is not criminal. Statistically, the district with the highest violent crime is actually Fremont, a neighborhood in North Seattle, and crime rates in downtown and south seattle have seen a 35% DROP in 10 years. Its true. Downtown you might bump in to homeless people. My recommendation is that you smile and say hi, maybe even buy them a cup of coffee. Our crime rate is lower than most cities and that includes our citizens that are homeless 

• Like 1

Thank you all for posting..I have lived in several cities from Boston to LA to Las Vegas to name a few.  I have also been homeless in many cities. Being homeless is not crime, drugs; and alcohol as well as mental illness all play a part...I have had a beautiful life for 43 yrs. 

I was last in Seattle for cruise in 2001 and looking forward to our cruise this year.

We are staying in an AirBnB in Seattle near the port post cruise and I have read much about your fine city. The Positive and the Negative..i dont see it as any different than any city  i have ever been in.

Life is what you make it...stay positive.

ERICR    I agree.with you. I volunteer with an organization that works with homeless and needy people in the Seattle area -- helping them with utility bills and food. I have offered food to people on the street and they have refused saying they want money instead. Wonder what they would use it for?! Seattle is beginning a new homeless initiative with other cities in the county, there have been several initiatives since the 1990's to solve the problem and they have not been effective. Hope this one works so our beautiful city can continue to be a welcoming place for visitors to enjoy!

Every major city in America has its share of homeless...its a sad commentary on society, but to those who are visiting Seattle for a day or two I suspect you won’t feel it’s effects any more than you would at home (if you also live in a large city). For those who don’t....Seattle is a jewel in this country which is often missed on the bucket list of US “must do’s” unless you are taking an Alaska Cruise...please don’t waste your valuable time commuting from outlying areas like the Eastside or the airport because someone told you Seattle was dangerous...use your common sense, and once you feast your eyes on the puget sound and the gorgeous mountains and you will thank me.

17 hours ago, chefchick said:

once you feast your eyes on the puget sound and the gorgeous mountains and you will thank me.

:classic_biggrin:Yes!:classic_biggrin:

And, if one enjoys fresh, delicious seafood:  your taste buds and tummy will be well pleased as well.

5 hours ago, cruisinteach2 said:

But be aware you will see some other not so beautiful sights in downtown Seattle

Especially if you are seeking it out.  I walk almost daily from Belltown to the downtown core area. There are certainly homeless along the way although those little tent cities just don't exist in the area I walk.  But, if you want to see those not so beautiful areas, you'll find them. If that's what you want to see.