Viking Sky position, adrift off Norway Coast and evacuating Passengers & Crew

CCWineLover

Ah... it seems from MarineTraffic that the Ocean Response - the tug pulling Viking Sky - seems to have peeled off.

Is Viking Sky now totally under own power?

The water would be much calmer, but is the power "stable"?

Those remaining passengers are going to be mighty relieved to be on terra firma again!

GC

1 hour ago, flamingos said:

To the person who is posting the ship's tracking - I would love to see the track of the 180 turn back to Molde.  How wide an arc would they have to take?

See attached.

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 7.24.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 7.26.27 AM.png

Edited by Outerdog
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

LOL, a good question.  Perhaps the fact that it is called the Northern Lights Cruise will give folks a hint 🙂   And yes, they actually did see the Northern Lights on this particular cruise .

Hank

Tracking this event has made every sad.  We did the Northern Lights cruise Feb 6 and had a wonderful time (we didn’t see the lights but that's another story).  The Viking Sky is a beautiful ship and the captain and crew were great.  It’s a tragedy that this happened but it sounds like everyone is safe and relatively unharmed.  Based on my experience with several Viking ocean and river cruises, I’m sure they did everything possible to make the passengers comfortable.  We are very much looking forward to our next cruise with Viking in 2020. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Frenchberet said:

Tracking this event has made every sad.  We did the Northern Lights cruise Feb 6 and had a wonderful time (we didn’t see the lights but that's another story).  The Viking Sky is a beautiful ship and the captain and crew were great.  It’s a tragedy that this happened but it sounds like everyone is safe and relatively unharmed.  Based on my experience with several Viking ocean and river cruises, I’m sure they did everything possible to make the passengers comfortable.  We are very much looking forward to our next cruise with Viking in 2020. 

We are looking forward to our cruise that leaves next week though I am worried what my DMIL is going to say/do when she hears about this...since we haven’t gotten a call, she must not have heard yet so please keep it mum 😂

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, buggins0402 said:

With regards to Antarctica,  another question arises.  Could Argentina or Chile pull off a rescue of a large passenger ship, given the remoteness of the area?  An expedition ship, might be within the resource capabilities, but what about the size ships that HAL and Celebrity sail to Antarctica.  We just sailed around the horn on a mass market and it did cross my mind that if we lost power in rough seas that rescue would be difficult. 

Norway rescue teams and emergency response teams should be given kudos for their very capable response.

When heading to Antarctica you are in a very remote place. A passenger died on board 2nd night and he had to make the 14 day trip with us until we returned to S. America. Norway is civilization and was able to handle this. I am done with expedition cruising 😬

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I wasn’t the original poster, their link didn’t work for me so I search YouTube for Molde Harbor Cam.  Here is what I’m watching:

thanks. Looks like smooth sailing in there...beautiful place...not on the itinerary (I think).

Edited by kathy49
more

I’ve been following this thread since last night and I’m so glad they’re almost there! Hats off to all the rescue and ship personnel who took part in the rescue operation. I hope the remaining passengers on board are all in good health and spirits after their ordeal and everyone injured recovers quickly.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, buggins0402 said:

With regards to Antarctica,  another question arises.  Could Argentina or Chile pull off a rescue of a large passenger ship, given the remoteness of the area?  An expedition ship, might be within the resource capabilities, but what about the size ships that HAL and Celebrity sail to Antarctica.  We just sailed around the horn on a mass market and it did cross my mind that if we lost power in rough seas that rescue would be difficult. 

Norway rescue teams and emergency response teams should be given kudos for their very capable response.

The days of mass market cruise ships going to Antartica are coming to the end.  They have up'ed the "durability" rating of what ships can sail to Antartica, and no mass market cruise has ships that meet the new standard, and I imagine they won't build a ship that does.  Since it is such a limited market and they have only been offering a few of them each year.

I am not sure of the exact date when this goes into effect.

• Like 2