Viking Sky position, adrift off Norway Coast and evacuating Passengers & Crew

CCWineLover

4 minutes ago, senior lady said:

You had better check with your travel agent, Viking has announced that the next cruise is cancelled

next cruise was to be March 27 and it was cancelled. I would think if the engine situation is complex should be out more than that...the interior stuff goes fast...but they may get it back for the next one after March 27th. I assume they are well equipped to do the work in Norway.

2 minutes ago, powerdog said:

I imagine it takes a long time to repair a ship. Weeks or months?

I think there are three repair issues:  1, All the superficial damage to things being tossed about, falling, etc.

2, Damage needing restoration such as broken windows, doors, carpet and anything water damaged.

3, Whatever caused the engine failure and if there is anything needing engineers and parts.

I can imagine a scenario that puts the ship back in service in a week but it feels more likely to be a few weeks from what we've seen and heard.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, portofinoitaly said:

When heading to Antarctica you are in a very remote place. A passenger died on board 2nd night and he had to make the 14 day trip with us until we returned to S. America. Norway is civilization and was able to handle this. I am done with expedition cruising 😬

I'm with you....nice hotel stay in a place like Portofino and watch the ships come and go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So relieved to see Sky almost there in Molde on the webcam. I am raising a glass of Prosecco to her as I didn't have any Champagne! 

Well done to all the crew. Sounds like they were amazing.

Now Viking must make it right for the passengers who went through this ordeal and I'm sure they will.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, notladjr said:

This is so absurd not really worthy of answer.  If you don't want to take the minuscule risk that your ship might have mechanical or electrical issues then stay home.  You can expect the cruise line to maintain their vessels and not to unnecessarily place you danger. You cannot expect them to never have an issue beyond their control. 

Wow. Condoning that blackouts are now fine to be accepted, and meanwhile ignoring evidence to the contrary, that even the cruiselines don't expect passengers to accept that. That's the absurdity.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Outerdog said:

YouTube can handle a lot more than 1,750 viewers.

Should, but it was pausing and re-syncing a few times.  There are performance limits and it may be that Youtube dynamically reallocates resources when it detects a heavy increase in load.  It would need to spawn more sources.  Network and load balancing will handle the rest.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Wow. Condoning that blackouts are now fine to be accepted, and meanwhile ignoring evidence to the contrary, that even the cruiselines don't expect passengers to accept that. That's the absurdity.

Sorry, but I agree with  notladjr.   You have far more danger driving to the grocery store than you do getting on a cruise ship (or airplane, or train) While no one is expecting you (or anyone) to "accept that",  to obsess over an exceedingly rare (and bizarre) incident is what is absurd.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Should, but it was pausing and re-syncing a few times.  There are performance limits and it may be that Youtube dynamically reallocates resources when it detects a heavy increase in load.  It would need to spawn more sources.  Network and load balancing will handle the rest.

Looks like they may have reallocated.  Better now 

6 minutes ago, Lottie A said:

Seems like they have held Sky up to allow the small Fjord ferry in first. 

I think this is one time when she should have had priority! 

Do you have more knowledge of the situation than those making these decisions?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lottie A said:

Seems like they have held Sky up to allow the small Fjord ferry in first. 

I think this is one time when she should have had priority! 

I can tell you with near 100 percent certainty that they would not delay the rescue simply to allow for ferry traffic. 

• Like 3