Viking Sky position, adrift off Norway Coast and evacuating Passengers & Crew

CCWineLover

Just now, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Was I just slapped on the wrist for NOT having technical knowledge?  If so...I can accept that. But can venture my opinions anyway. Alot of "armchair quarterbacking" going on here anyway. Think I'll just follow this from now on instead of posting. I lived through it and have pics and videos to document all of it for my own keepsake...the rest I will leave up to the experts AND those with technical knowledge.....

Please don't stop posting.  Ignore those who seem to lack a clue.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

I see your point and, being one of the passengers who spent a decent amount of time in the Explorer Lounge during part of early Saturday afternoon, I must admit to thereby probably falling under your designation of being an "idiot"; however, one likes to think that the ship is safe even under such conditions especially since up until that moment it for the most part seemed like just going through high seas and wind. I don't think anyone expected any impending danger. All that being said, once I heard the increasing roar of plates, etc. crashing and the chairs sliding around WITH people in them (obvious at least in the video I took), I knew it was time to get out of there. I will say this....the crew member referred to who was telling folks to move back was basically ignored (I have that on video too). In retrospect, I think the lounge should have been evacuated completely and the doors shut. Heard from one of the passengers who remained on the ship that the lounge piano came unbolted from the floor and is in bad shape. I briefly took a peek up on Deck 7 once I and the rest of the evacuees were allowed back on the ship in Molde  and saw the lounge was closed off. Things on the pool grill side looked pretty disastrous so can only imagine it's not much better in the lounge.

Now, your comment..  "The sea the Sky was facing was nothing comparing what we had encountered in our multiple TATL crossings (we have done 12 or 13 or 14 of such, lost count). "  struck me a bit . I have no way of knowing what you've actually faced during your rocky sea journeys, but I can't help but wonder if your statement somewhat smacks of how the caught fish always gets bigger with each retelling. I think perhaps your having not been on the Sky on Saturday afternoon, I might hazard to suggest that you may not be completely correct. Let me ask this....in the "much worse" conditions you refer to ...was there damage taking place in the vessel, let alone a general alarm sounded?  Please know I'm not trying to gainsay you, but I feel your statement may be a bit presumptuous. Just my take on it having lived through this. I suppose every situation is different. As you say, you refer to deeper water than we were in. Then, too, much depends on how much wind is present and what direction it comes from . We had WSW pushing the Sky towards a rocky lee shore. And, the area we were in is apparently noted for the types of conditions we experienced. I don't think it's quite comparable to other "high sea" incidents since, based on what has been stated in this very long thread, we were sailing through a "bomb cyclone". Ultimately doesn't matter. Guess your statement just got under my skin a bit since the terrifying experience of hanging over the water in a hoist is still pretty fresh in my mind. 

First of all, I feel for you and all the passengers that have gone thru that horrifying experience - hanging on their dear lives.

The point is, this should NOT have happened,  because the ship should be able to handle that weather conditions - even the Norwegian officials said that.  Even the avid retired seafarers said that.  Then why would the situation turned into an almost life and death situation?  Dont you feel there are a lot of questions need answers?   Dont you feel the ship's management / company's management have some decision making process went wrong?  I were you I would question this, instead of one-sided praising the captain for doing a great job.  The great job that has never got done is, NOT to lead your passengers thru such horrifying journey!

The lounge should be closed and off limit to the passengers with those glass walls.  I understand you and other passengers had the false sense of being safe, because you would think the ship should be able to handle such,  being a ship only 2 years old,  and your captain decided to sail into the rough water that has been forecasted.   However even the water did not break the glass walls,  the flying furniture should be obvious to anyone that this was truly dangerous - it is so obvious that one can easily be hit and suffer a broken bone or have open wound...  I seriously dont understand why passengers ignored the crew's plead to retreat to a safer location...

About the sea conditions - on a few northern crossings  when weather forecasts show there would be rough patches in front of the original planned course, our captains often change course to stay away from the forecasted conditions often taking a more southern routes that made us missed ports or delayed next port's arrival.  Happened a couple times we missed 2 ports at Ponta Delgada on HAL's ships,  once on a Princess ship.

Captains often announced these changes well ahead of time when we were still at relatively calm sea, during their noon updates. 

By the way, on one Southern crossing, the Atlantic remained calm - it was after we entered Med the weather turned rough, with 30 ft sea for some stretch.

We have seen 30 to 40ft water a few times but the important thing is, our ships did not lose power - both stabilizers were deployed - we saw the horizon going up and down dramatically but we could still walk albeit like a bit drunk.  In fact during one of such occasions an elderly gentleman with walker refused my assistance to help him when we navigated the cabin corridor back to the stateroom. 

Not just in TATL, at the Caribbeans you could run into high sea during hurricane season.  Happened.

The things that the mass market lines operate differently, at least comparing to what Sky is operated, is that all precautions were taken LONG BEFORE really bad sea - from the warnings the captains gave during the noon updates and updates as needed thru out the bad weather.

All the doors to the outside were secured, swimming pools drained with nets on them,  we were advised not to use the pool deck to go across but use the cabin corridor to go to the restaurant at the stern because of the high wind and slippery decks.  Captains updated the conditions relatively frequently... 

BTW, those captains of the mass market lines all are company's direct employees, most work for years with the line before moving up to the staff captain and captain positions,  Only the service sides crews, like the room attendants and the wait staff, the bar tenders, the kitchen staff, the laundry staff and basic maintenance staff, are contracted employees supplied by contractors.  But the people responsible the sailing of the ship, are all directly employed by the lines and worked their way up.  I personally think this makes some difference.  Of course the apologists here would not agree.

Basically during all such bad weathers our ships sailed normally thanks to stay in full power and deployment of the stabilizers but everyone is told to take precaution, stayed away from doors to the promenade deck and use handrails whenever possible.

Shops actually also took precautions by putting away the objects that would easily fly loose or crashing down.  Plates normally on the counter of the outdoor grills were taken away.  We heard they had some stuff broken in the kitchen / galley and dining rooms according to the captains but nothing anywhere near what were shown in those videos. 

The guy(s) want to know why a 2 years new ship would completely lose power got run off by the apologists on this thread.  Personally I want to know that too -  we are just passengers who care for our own safety, no need to understand how things work, just expect they should work, especially on such a new ship and such a "luxury line".  

Edited by nho9504
Add more comments
  • Like 2

Sorry....there has been so much info on this thread....now I do recall that repairs are being done there. So, no, was not joking...especially the part about preferring not to be part of the sailing. Perhaps some other time. 
Nearly 1200 posts, and you've been through quite an ordeal, so perfectly understandable.

Though I'm sure you are probably not interested in jumping right on another cruise ship, if you're willing to share, I'm curious your thoughts on cruising in the future? With Viking?

Glad you're safe.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Was I just slapped on the wrist for NOT having technical knowledge?  If so...I can accept that. But can venture my opinions anyway. Alot of "armchair quarterbacking" going on here anyway. Think I'll just follow this from now on instead of posting. I lived through it and have pics and videos to document all of it for my own keepsake...the rest I will leave up to the experts AND those with technical knowledge.....
Wow. That was uncalled for. You have nothing to apologize for.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, nho9504 said:

The lounge should be closed and off limit to the passengers with those glass walls.  I understand you and other passengers had the false sense of being safe, because you would think the ship should be able to handle such,  being a ship only 2 years old,  and your captain decided to sail into the rough water that has been forecasted.   However even the water did not break the glass walls,  the flying furniture should be obvious to anyone that this was truly dangerous - it is so obvious that one can easily be hit and suffer a broken bone or have open wound...  I seriously dont understand why passengers ignored the crew's plead to retreat to a safer location...

About the sea conditions - on a few northern crossings  when weather forecasts show there would be rough patches in front of the original planned course, our captains often change course to stay away from the forecasted conditions often taking a more southern routes that made us missed ports or delayed next port's arrival.  Happened a couple times we missed 2 ports at Ponta Delgada on HAL's ships,  once on a Princess ship.

Captains often announced these changes well ahead of time when we were still at relatively calm sea, during their noon updates.

We have seen 30 to 40ft water a couple times but our ships did not lose power - both stabilizers were deployed - we saw the horizon going up and down dramatically but we could still walk albeit like a bit drunk.  In fact during one of such occasions an elderly gentleman with walker refused my assistance to help him when we navigated the cabin corridor back to the stateroom.  All the doors to the outside were secured, swimming pools drained with nets on them,  we were advised not to use the pool deck to go across but use the cabin corridor to go to the restaurant at the stern because of the high wind and slippery decks.  Captains updated the conditions relatively frequently...  Basically the ships sailed normally thanks to stay in full power and deployment of the stabilizers but everyone is told to take precaution, stayed away from doors to the promenade deck and use handrails whenever possible.

Shops actually also took precautions by putting away the objects that would easily fly loose or crashing down.  Plates normally on the counter of the outdoor grills were taken away.  We heard they had some stuff broken in the kitchen / galley and dining rooms according to the captains but nothing anywhere near what were shown in those videos. 

The guy(s) want to know why a 2 years new ship would completely lose power got run off by the apologists on this thread.  Personally I want to know that too -  we are just passengers who care for our own safety, no need to understand how things work, just expect they should work, especially on such a new ship and such a "luxury line". 

Good points.  Thank you for sharing your experience and perspective.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nho9504 said:

And I expect Viking want to know , after all their ship is  quite new and cost them plenty.. I'm sure there will be a proper report made , but it will take time . 

regards

John

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

And I expect Viking want to know , after all their ship is  quite new and cost them plenty.. I'm sure there will be a proper report made , but it will take time . 

regards

John

Does anyone know who receives a copy of the investigation report?  I don't imagine it's public?

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Does anyone know who receives a copy of the investigation report?  I don't imagine it's public?

Yes reports will be public issued by Norways authorities   there is a link I posted somewhere on the thread 

Regards

John

26 minutes ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

I most sincerely apologize. I was very wrong in that response. I ask that you please accept my apology. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, it is.  The Captain of the Allure was found to be completely vindicated for his decision to sail into the storm off the East coast by following RCI's ISM procedures, and RCI decided to revise their ISM policies, but the Captain was a few months later quietly transferred to another ship.  I think it was a HAL ship that had an incident entering Alexandria a few years back, where the Captain was again vindicated, but ended up retiring due to the poor press from the incident.

FWIW -  When the Captain and Chief Engineer came out to talk to pax on Sun am  they were given a standing ovation. 

• Like 1

Hi Folks

Most of us are here because we have curiosity about this event , many of us have some knowledge of ships and the sea and our interest is genuine

Unfortunately there are many these days that just see $$$ signs when things don't go exactly as they expect 

Perhaps they should be aware of the truth about men and the sea, cruising is a delightful thing to be able to do.. BUT turn your back on the sea and she will kill you without a thought.

Kipling says 

What is a woman that you forsake her,
And the hearth-fire and the home-acre,
To go with the old grey Widow-maker?

And of course we have been warned

Psalm 107:23-31 King James Version (KJV)

23 They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters;

24 These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep.

25 For he commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereof.

26 They mount up to the heaven, they go down again to the depths: their soul is melted because of trouble.

27 They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wit's end.

28 Then they cry unto the Lord in their trouble, and he bringeth them out of their distresses.

29 He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still.

30 Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven.

31 Oh that men would praise the Lord for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!

In other words , man is mortal things dont always go our way ...this is the natural state of things...

Lets just relax a little and enjoy the ride 

A Bad days cruise is better than a Good day at the office  🙂

Regards

John

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Here is an example of a report , this when Norwegian Jewel lost all power off Cape Liptrap in Australia and drifted for a couple of days before being towed back to Melbourne

https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/5774327/329-mo-2017-003-final.pdf

Its a good example of a report expect something similar in this case

Regards

John

Edited by VK3DQ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, just_dont said:

Nearly 1200 posts, and you've been through quite an ordeal, so perfectly understandable.

Though I'm sure you are probably not interested in jumping right on another cruise ship, if you're willing to share, I'm curious your thoughts on cruising in the future? With Viking?

Glad you're safe.

Just_Don't....thank you for your kind words. No problem sharing my thoughts (as if that isn't already obvious by now..lol) on future cruising. Currently have 2 cruises booked (both done well before this one...but neither are with Viking). As to doing more with Viking, I'm sure I will. I really enjoyed the Sky and, up to the unfortunate incident of Saturday, loved this cruise. The scenery and experiences it offered were fantastic. I really like the less crowded feel to the smaller ship. It seems quieter. Really don't miss having kids on the ships. Love the open seating dinner time - no formal nights or pictures - the relaxed feel in general.

So, yeah, I'd say I'm up for more - even on the Sky. Would have no problems going on her again and am saddened to have lost the rest of the itinerary plus the London extension. I liken this to the example where sometimes if one has an auto accident, it can be very easy to not want to get back behind the wheel. Cruising is something I've been enjoying over the years, and so won't let this stop me.

That being said, I know I'll never look at a muster drill the same way again and will probably always get a bit more anxious than usual whenever a good deal of rolling / pitching / rough weather occurs. I do think this experience is a life changing event and feel that a bit of PTSD is very likely to be the result. Several times over the past few days I'll just suddenly tear up - undoubtedly a release of the recent stress over all of it. 

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4

I guess I was too optimistic that the Chief and Captains had chased away the pearl-clutchers, as now we have a new batch of them.  So I'm checking out of this thread.  But based on everything I have read so far (meaning ALL the posts here, and none of the 'fake news' press), I will not hesitate to sail with Viking Ocean again.  Bon Voyage all...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Just_Don't....thank you for your kind words. No problem sharing my thoughts (as if that isn't already obvious by now..lol) on future cruising. Currently have 2 cruises booked (both done well before this one...but neither are with Viking). As to doing more with Viking, I'm sure I will. I really enjoyed the Sky and, up to the unfortunate incident of Saturday, loved this cruise. The scenery and experiences it offered were fantastic. I really like the less crowded feel to the smaller ship. It seems quieter. Really don't miss having kids on the ships. Love the open seating dinner time - no formal nights or pictures - the relaxed feel in general. So, yeah, I'd say I'm up for more - even on the Sky. Would have no problems going on her again. I liken this to the situation where sometimes if one has an auto accident, it can be very easy to not want to get back behind the wheel. Cruising is something I've been enjoying over the years, and so won't let this stop me. That being said, I'll never look at a muster drill the same way again and will probably always get a bit more anxious than usual whenever a good deal of rolling / pitching occurs. I do think this experience is a life changing event and feel that a bit of PTSD is very likely to be the result. Several times over the past few days I tear up - undoubtedly a release of the recent stress over all of it. 

Well Said!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards

John

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

Here is an example of a report , this when Norwegian Jewel lost all power off Cape Liptrap in Australia and drifted for a couple of days before being towed back to Melbourne

https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/5774327/329-mo-2017-003-final.pdf

Its a good example of a report expect something similar in this case

Regards

John

Minor nitpick: It was the Norwegian Star, not the Jewel. 

1 hour ago, Pratique said:

I've seen similar actions to provide privacy to injured guests being taken off the ship on several of my cruises. It's hard to do when dozens of people are hanging over their balconies out of curiosity.

I also noticed all the people gathered at the port in Molde to greet the ship. I didn't realize that some were guests who had been evacuated, but there were also some locals who I presume were there out of the best intentions to be friendly and supportive. But it did seem a bit crowded. At one point they parked several ambulances to provide some more privacy on the pier. I'm not certain but I believe the police had asked locals to steer clear of town so as not to create traffic congestion. I presume there were many curious to see the ship arrive.

some of t hose people at the port were family members of the crew.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

Is anyone able provide insight about sea trials and whether they put a ship through conditions similar to what the Sky experienced in the Hustadvika?

Sea trials as such are generally a demonstration that the ship will perform to its design specifications , its quite extensive and the Buyer will normally not sign for the ship until they are satisfied , they dont do destructive crashes like when you build a new car ... 

There are a couple of utube videos of QM2 doing her sea trials and how they ironed out  some minor issues

Regards

John

Just_Don't....thank you for your kind words. No problem sharing my thoughts (as if that isn't already obvious by now..lol) on future cruising. Currently have 2 cruises booked (both done well before this one...but neither are with Viking). As to doing more with Viking, I'm sure I will. I really enjoyed the Sky and, up to the unfortunate incident of Saturday, loved this cruise. The scenery and experiences it offered were fantastic. I really like the less crowded feel to the smaller ship. It seems quieter. Really don't miss having kids on the ships. Love the open seating dinner time - no formal nights or pictures - the relaxed feel in general.

So, yeah, I'd say I'm up for more - even on the Sky. Would have no problems going on her again and am saddened to have lost the rest of the itinerary plus the London extension. I liken this to the example where sometimes if one has an auto accident, it can be very easy to not want to get back behind the wheel. Cruising is something I've been enjoying over the years, and so won't let this stop me.

That being said, I know I'll never look at a muster drill the same way again and will probably always get a bit more anxious than usual whenever a good deal of rolling / pitching / rough weather occurs. I do think this experience is a life changing event and feel that a bit of PTSD is very likely to be the result. Several times over the past few days I'll just suddenly tear up - undoubtedly a release of the recent stress over all of it. 
Very glad to hear this. My DW and I are taking the Midnight Sun cruise on Viking Jupiter this June, sailing the same waters you were just on. We were both quite anxious for you all and very relieved at how everything worked out for you (all). Although, your event hasn't dampened our excitement and anticipation of our cruise one bit. Attitude is everything, and it seems the vast majority of Viking passengers share that positive, adventurous attitude. And we completely agree with your sentiments of the Viking product.
Cheers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nho9504 said:

First of all, I feel for you and all the passengers that have gone thru that horrifying experience - hanging on their dear lives.

The point is, this should NOT have happened,  because the ship should be able to handle that weather conditions - even the Norwegian officials said that.  Even the avid retired seafarers said that.  Then why would the situation turned into an almost life and death situation?  Dont you feel there are a lot of questions need answers?   Dont you feel the ship's management / company's management have some decision making process went wrong?  I were you I would question this, instead of one-sided praising the captain for doing a great job.  The great job that has never got done is, NOT to lead your passengers thru such horrifying journey!

By the way, on one Southern crossing, the Atlantic remained calm - it was after we entered Med the weather turned rough, with 30 ft sea for some stretch.

We have seen 30 to 40ft water a few times but the important thing is, our ships did not lose power - both stabilizers were deployed - we saw the horizon going up and down dramatically but we could still walk albeit like a bit drunk.  In fact during one of such occasions an elderly gentleman with walker refused my assistance to help him when we navigated the cabin corridor back to the stateroom. 

Not just in TATL, at the Caribbeans you could run into high sea during hurricane season.  Happened.

The things that the mass market lines operate differently, at least comparing to what Sky is operated, is that all precautions were taken LONG BEFORE really bad sea - from the warnings the captains gave during the noon updates and updates as needed thru out the bad weather.

All the doors to the outside were secured, swimming pools drained with nets on them,  we were advised not to use the pool deck to go across but use the cabin corridor to go to the restaurant at the stern because of the high wind and slippery decks.  Captains updated the conditions relatively frequently... 

BTW, those captains of the mass market lines all are company's direct employees, most work for years with the line before moving up to the staff captain and captain positions,  Only the service sides crews, like the room attendants and the wait staff, the bar tenders, the kitchen staff, the laundry staff and basic maintenance staff, are contracted employees supplied by contractors.  But the people responsible the sailing of the ship, are all directly employed by the lines and worked their way up.  I personally think this makes some difference.  Of course the apologists here would not agree.

Basically during all such bad weathers our ships sailed normally thanks to stay in full power and deployment of the stabilizers but everyone is told to take precaution, stayed away from doors to the promenade deck and use handrails whenever possible.

I'm thinking that since you know that you are not a maritime or technical expert that perhaps you should sit back, relax and wait for the experts to do their work like the rest of us.   Of course there are questions that need to be answered but how can they be a couple of days after the incident?  Speculating or pretending to know doesn't do anyone a bit of good.   Your cruise(s) certainly could be different and comparing to this voyage is wrong.  No one has the full knowledge yet.  Wait for the reports.   I've been on a cruise (not Viking) where a hurricane changed its path in the middle of the night and we had to ride it out.  I don't need to compare this to that nor does it make me a pro.  Different storm, different ship, different locality.   Just wait for the report.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So I've been following this thread with interest (thanks to all the experienced people who've explained everything for us), and for future cruises, I plan to make sure everything I'd need to grab in an emergency will be in one compact package instead of lying around the cabin. With an LED light attached to it. 

(I was wakened at about 2:00 am on a recent cruise by a "report to muster stations" phone call, and it didn't take long to get everything together... but only because it was early in the cruise. As I was leaving the cabin, an officer came down the hall to tell me -- and how many others? -- that it was a false alarm. A plate of chocolates and an apology were delivered the next day. )

Edited by C1nnabar
  • Like 1

So I've been following this thread with interest (thanks to all the experienced people who've explained everything for us), and for future cruises, I plan to make sure everything I'd need to grab in an emergency will be in one compact package instead of lying around the cabin. With an LED light attached to it. 

... maybe in a dry bag. [emoji6]

Edit: Hah! This was post #1200! I think I was #1100, too. [emoji16]