Viking Sky position, adrift off Norway Coast and evacuating Passengers & Crew

CCWineLover

Viking Sky today tried to send pictures but exceeding file size. But everything in the explorers lounge as normal including the piano.  Just one window panel is a picture hiding the window.

will try to reduce  file size

B2126050-E7C6-408C-88F8-1B5D7A0EB522.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Wow, thanks for posting those pics, I knew they would do a good job for you all. We saw the state of the wooden floor in the explorers lounge and it looked beyond easy repair.

We were on the top floor of the explorers lounge when all kicked off and one of the massive glass ship cabinets fell and exploded whilst we were up there. It very luckily just missed some passengers sitting there. A table also toppled down one of the glass staircases whilst the glass panels on the other had come loose and were swinging wildly. We were forced to exit by the eighth floor corridor when the siren went off. What does it look like up there now?

1 hour ago, just_dont said:

Wow, quite an impressive turnaround.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Agreed.  I wonder how they repaired all the water damage.  Wet vac and a big fan I suppose.  How long to dry everything?

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Agreed.  I wonder how they repaired all the water damage.  Wet vac and a big fan I suppose.  How long to dry everything?

Most of the flooring, carpet or wood, would be torn up and renewed.   The problem with mold in totally soaked carpet is something they don't want to deal with.  With more ships on order, IIRC, they probably robbed the building ships for materials to repair the Sky.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks LongRiver, what a difference since we last saw it!. They must have lost two of the cabinets then. We pushed some sofas against them in the hope of saving them after the first smashed over. Shame!

Well all looks wonderful for you, enjoy your trip. 😀

Interesting. Glad I didn't know at the time just how close we had come to the shore. 

DGHOC - you refer to pushing sofas against cabinets up in the mezzanine level? When were you up there? By the time I got to the lounge around probably 2:00 or so, the stairs going up there were already sealed off. 

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, DGHOC said:

Thanks LongRiver, what a difference since we last saw it!. They must have lost two of the cabinets then. We pushed some sofas against them in the hope of saving them after the first smashed over. Shame!

Well all looks wonderful for you, enjoy your trip. 😀

Wow, I’m the midst of all that you were kind enough to try protect Vikings furnishings. Winner. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Most of the flooring, carpet or wood, would be torn up and renewed.   The problem with mold in totally soaked carpet is something they don't want to deal with.  With more ships on order, IIRC, they probably robbed the building ships for materials to repair the Sky.

So very perceptive of you, Chengkp75. And thanks for continuing to share your thoughts.

Edited by OceanPatter

17 hours ago, Pratique said:

A new story about the rescue operation, including some video from the helicopter and a more detailed map of the ship's location.

https://www.nrk.no/mr/xl/den-enorme-redningsaksjonen-1.14494045

Google translated link. Seems not a bad rendering but not quite as good as for some languages. I guess that is due to the number of documents available in the particular language pair.

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&tab=wT&sl=no&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nrk.no%2Fmr%2Fxl%2Fden-enorme-redningsaksjonen-1.14494045

Edited by Spring Ford

On 3/24/2019 at 2:45 PM, Jammy Bun said:

Several cruise lines sail from the UK to Norway during the winter months on 'Northern Lights' itineraries - P&O, Cunard and Fred Olsen.  We sailed from Southampton to northern Norway (and back) on Fred Olsen's Boudicca in February 2012.  It was one of my favourite cruises and I am hoping to repeat the experience in the future on a Viking ship.

Your 2012 Boudicca blog was both entertaining and informative - we referred to it often for clothing tips and smiles as we prepared for the 14 March sailing. Thanks for introducing us to the Buff, one of the great cold weather accessories.

• Like 1