TA or book direct.

Shawnob815

Hi and sorry if this has been asked a million times before.  I am new at cruising,  and am not sure if I should book direct with a cruise line,  or go through an agency. 

I know that there may be perks, and an agency can do all the leg work,  but should I,  or just call the 800 number. 

Any and all help would be appreciated.  This is for an Alaskan cruise on NCL, August 2020.

TIA.

12 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Its really a personal decision.

Exactly.  I personally like to book directly with the cruise line as I have total control of the reservation.  Others prefer to use a TA for some additional perks and backup if they have any problems.  It really comes down to what you're comfortable with.

A TA, but just not any TA.  Not always the one with the best rebates back or OBC either....I have read too many reviews of cruise lines/ships, where the people had no clue what to expect, and ended up being very disappointed, because their expectations far exceeded actuality, then came back and wrote a negative review, when all they needed to do was ask someone familiar for advice. 

You need to utilize a TA either in person, or over the internet that is familiar with the line and ship you plan on cruising on.    Ask questions of them...ie., have YOU personally sailed with this line, and on this ship or a sister ship?   Ask them about setting your expectations concerning what is important to you.  CC is a wonderful tool, but should not be the only one in your toolbox.   An experienced TA makes a big difference, especially when sailing on a new line, or ship or for the first time.   Years ago cruising was simplistic.  Where do you want to go, and for how long.   Today...there are too many variables.  

Edited by Cruseforme

1 hour ago, Shawnob815 said:

Hi and sorry if this has been asked a million times before.  I am new at cruising,  and am not sure if I should book direct with a cruise line,  or go through an agency. 

I know that there may be perks, and an agency can do all the leg work,  but should I,  or just call the 800 number. 

Any and all help would be appreciated.  This is for an Alaskan cruise on NCL, August 2020.

TIA.

Yes- asked and answered on CC at least a zillion times. Use the search feature and you'll find that, with the right TA, it will be a better deal for you. And don't buy that tired old "I want to own my own booking" argument. You are a rounding error in the cruise line's bottom line. The right TA may book $$$ millions with them annually. Who do you thing gets better service?

• Like 1

If you feel comfortable with the cruise line then just book with them. Once booked and settled you can then look for a TA to transfer to, allowing you to pick up a few hundred in perks.  Our son just booked a Disney cruise and got a lot of perks for booking.  He got off the phone with Disney and  immediately called the big box member store he uses and just gave them his booking number and received a big gift card as a thank you.  Most cruise lines have a 30 - 60 day transfer window.  And as Flatbush flyer said, being in control of your booking means almost nothing.  

Not sure about "being in control of your booking means almost nothing".  The one (and only time) I used a TA to book our cruise, I just happened to be perusing the Princess Cruise line website 6 weeks later and found a fabulous 24 hr sale that would save us $1000 since we hadn't done final payment yet.  When I phoned Princess, I was told only the TA could change the booking. Several frantic hours passed before I was able to contact her (she knew nothing about this sale) and get it resolved before the deadline. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, lynncarol said:

Not sure about "being in control of your booking means almost nothing".  The one (and only time) I used a TA to book our cruise, I just happened to be perusing the Princess Cruise line website 6 weeks later and found a fabulous 24 hr sale that would save us $1000 since we hadn't done final payment yet.  When I phoned Princess, I was told only the TA could change the booking. Several frantic hours passed before I was able to contact her (she knew nothing about this sale) and get it resolved before the deadline. 

However you "slice it/dice it," the right TA, who is a top seller for your preferred cruise line, will always have far more clout than you. And decent commission sharing always sweetens the deal.

That "right" TA would have the Regional Sales Rep as a "speed dial" and, particularly if that TA is one of the line's top sellers, the Rep could extend the courtesy of that sale or arrange some alternative amenity if the time window for the deal had only just lapsed. (We've experienced this first hand - even once getting our preferred line's rotating "quiet sale" discount with a different TA made available to our TA). 

And, just to be sure, always take a screen shot/smart phone pic of any flash sale and immediately email it to the TA so that you have a "time stamped" record of when you informed the TA to make a change within the deal window. Then, it's the TA's "problem" to fix.

That said, you may want to consider switching to a TA who provides their cell number and/or who works for an agency with 24/7 coverage.  In addition, if you call the cruise line with a time sensitive issue that may require TA involvement, ask the phone rep (or their supervisor) to notate your account regarding the time/reason you called.

BTW, on the subject of TAs in general: if you happen to be a resident of California, always check to see if a TA you are considering is a "registered seller of travel" in California. This gives you recourse in FUBAR situations.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

3 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

Any TA worthy of your business , has a backup TA  and a Cell phone when away .

^^ Above!  So true!  

I can always get in touch quickly ... and do not "lose control" of our cruise when using our long time TA.  :classic_smile:

23 hours ago, voyager70 said:

Exactly.  I personally like to book directly with the cruise line as I have total control of the reservation.  Others prefer to use a TA for some additional perks and backup if they have any problems.  It really comes down to what you're comfortable with.

This.

It's worth noting that the people working for the cruise line are very helpful in their own right as if they were TAs.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

If you feel comfortable with the cruise line then just book with them. Once booked and settled you can then look for a TA to transfer to, allowing you to pick up a few hundred in perks.  Our son just booked a Disney cruise and got a lot of perks for booking.  He got off the phone with Disney and  immediately called the big box member store he uses and just gave them his booking number and received a big gift card as a thank you.  Most cruise lines have a 30 - 60 day transfer window.  And as Flatbush flyer said, being in control of your booking means almost nothing.  

Well, I've saved thousands of $$ on price drops which popped up on weekends when most TA are closed.  Had I not booked directly with the cruise line I'd have been out of luck.  As I said earlier there's no right or wrong way to book.  Just a matter of what you're comfortable with.  After 40+ cruises this remains my belief.

1 hour ago, voyager70 said:

Well, I've saved thousands of $$ on price drops which popped up on weekends when most TA are closed.  Had I not booked directly with the cruise line I'd have been out of luck.  As I said earlier there's no right or wrong way to book.  Just a matter of what you're comfortable with.  After 40+ cruises this remains my belief.

Happily, I can easily get in touch with our TA on weekends ... and even on holidays.  :classic_smile:

Do agree with you on there is no right or wrong way ... just whichever is more comfortable for you.  

1 hour ago, voyager70 said:

True, but you have also given up hundreds of dollars in perks each time you went direct.  40 + cruises you may have shorted yourself 10 to 15 thousand in perks..

32 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

True, but you have also given up hundreds of dollars in perks each time you went direct.  40 + cruises you may have shorted yourself 10 to 15 thousand in perks..

That may be, but I've probably saved that much in price drops.  What works for me may not work for you, and that's fine.  Happy cruising.