Embarkation day MDR lunch?

cruiser4305

Can anyone clue in a HAL noob as to the time of the embarkation day MDR lunch, and what the menu might consist of? I can find breakfast and dinner menus but nothing about the MDR lunch. Is it better quality food than the buffet? We'll be on the Rotterdam next week.

Usually, MDR lunch on embarkation day runs from 12p to 1p, sometimes 130p.   Here's the lunch menu from Zaandam in September 2018.  Menus may and do vary.

y8IEW0wQjAmN9kV8zpIAj0EMHlluU4wWgEEfcX7A

Edited by 0bnxshs

1 hour ago, cruiser4305 said:

Can anyone clue in a HAL noob as to the time of the embarkation day MDR lunch, and what the menu might consist of? I can find breakfast and dinner menus but nothing about the MDR lunch. Is it better quality food than the buffet? We'll be on the Rotterdam next week.

Hi,

We eat in the MDR on embarkation day for one reason only, in my opinion, the ambiance is better than the first day Lido, and when we sit down that first time is when we really relax.  After  getting to the port, perhaps prenight hotel stays, the mass of people checking in.  We don’t want to join more masses of people in the Lido.  For food on embarkation day in MDR,  really it is a hit and miss.  I don’t know if quality could be said to be better than lido.  On our last cruise first time ever I didn’t eat the main dish that was served to me, over cooked fish.  I don’t go for food quality the first day, just the quieter setting.  I think all stations are just so busy that first day staffing levels and quality are a little lower.  On the menu they will have three or four mains to choose from.  I guess I have learnt from overtime to just have a lower expectation because of first day craziness and then I am okay with it.  I won’t let minor disappointments, if any, change my mindset to a negatitive so that my cruise starts off on the wrong foot.  We are cruising again in two weeks and will still try to get to MDR on embarkation day lunch.  Hope you have a great cruise.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

We think it is great to relax with a cocktail in the main dining room for embarkation lunch.  We don't like that rushing and pushing in the Lido which seems to be the norm on that day.

It's great to be able to drop off your carry ons in your cabin and then go to lunch.

Definitely, for us, the best way to start a cruise.  It's a tradition!  A bottle of champagne and a slow relaxing lunch before unpacking.

We've always started the cruise with MDR luncheon.  Quiet room, gracious service.  Food may or may not be better, but food quality better or lower than Lido isn't a concern as others have stated.  Eating in a relaxed atmosphere is the perfect start to a great cruise.

My sister and brother-in-law sailed on HAL for the first time in February, and I steered them toward the MDR for that first meal.  They asked for a 4-top and met some wonderful people who work for the U.S. State Department.  My sister commented that it was one of the most enjoyable meals of the cruise, and she thanked me profusely for recommending it.  They hung out with this couple for most of the week and made some new friends with whom they're now corresponding. 

Afterwards, they peeked into the Lido to see for themselves, I guess, if my assessment was correct.  She was so happy that they didn't have to navigate through the crowd to get their food.  Sometimes big sisters (me) can give good advice.  LOL.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lido deck main said:

Hi,

We eat in the MDR on embarkation day for one reason only, in my opinion, the ambiance is better than the first day Lido, and when we sit down that first time is when we really relax.  After  getting to the port, perhaps prenight hotel stays, the mass of people checking in.  We don’t want to join more masses of people in the Lido.  For food on embarkation day in MDR,  really it is a hit and miss.  I don’t know if quality could be said to be better than lido.  On our last cruise first time ever I didn’t eat the main dish that was served to me, over cooked fish.  I don’t go for food quality the first day, just the quieter setting.  I think all stations are just so busy that first day staffing levels and quality are a little lower.  On the menu they will have three or four mains to choose from.  I guess I have learnt from overtime to just have a lower expectation because of first day craziness and then I am okay with it.  I won’t let minor disappointments, if any, change my mindset to a negatitive so that my cruise starts off on the wrong foot.  We are cruising again in two weeks and will still try to get to MDR on embarkation day lunch.  Hope you have a great cruise.

(bold is mine) That's how I look at it. I don't know that I've ever gone to lunch in the MDR except for embarkation and Mariner lunch/brunch. But after the hustle and bustle of the port, it's like "Ahhh, I'm on the ship, time to relax."

I remember the days before cabins were ready so early. People would be walking around the Lido dragging their carry-ons. It was truly hellish compared to the MDR, where you could just leave them in a corner and enjoy a peaceful lunch.

OP, don't bother asking anyone if there's lunch in the MDR. They all will tell you to go to the Lido. Sometimes there's a special function and the MDR isn't available, but that's pretty rare. Just go to the lower level and ask to be seated.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

Slightly off topic, but do they serve lunch at the Dive too on embarkation day?

Yes, they do.

I've had a different experience than some with the MDR lunch.  The lunch itself is great, but when I have asked staff about it, they have happily pointed me in the right direction to the dining room.  I've never had them insist on sending me to the Lido.

We really like doing lunch the first day in the MDR.  SOOOOO much quieter and peaceful than the Lido (where the welcome aboard crew members direct you to).  

Generally speaking, we have found the meals to be very good, but the selection sometimes a bit limited.  Still, we always find something we like.  Also, we often meet some new fellow cruisers here and make friends for the cruise.

6 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Generally speaking, we have found the meals to be very good, but the selection sometimes a bit limited.  Still, we always find something we like.  Also, we often meet some new fellow cruisers here and make friends for the cruise.

6 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

My sister commented that it was one of the most enjoyable meals of the cruise

These posters' comments have been my experience as well.  While the menu does vary from ship to ship, on NS, the Embarkation Lunch, along with MDR Breakfasts, were the best meals in the MDR that I had.  Only complaint during the Embarkation Lunch--and this seems to be true on every HAL vessel I have sailed--it takes a l-o-n-g time usually for the Wine Steward to get to me once I have told my DR Steward I require his/her services.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruiser4305 said:

A review of my menu collections over the past few seasons, shows that the Embarkation Day lunch menu is the basicly the same for both Alaska and Caribbean HAL cruises.  Here is a link to one of my Embarkation Day menus (scroll down to the one for MDR lunch:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Embarkation-Day.pdf

I agree with the very slow service in the MDR.  My choice for lunch is a visit to the Taco Bar by the indoor pool on Deck 9 for a plate of nachos.

Edited by Crew News
  • Thanks 1

We go for the peacefulness, the ability to decompress, and that helps us get into vacation mode.  The food's been good, bad, and mediocre.  We don't go for the food 😉  The service has been fast, slow, and just right.

Last cruise the steward would not tell us if the MDR was open for lunch until he saw my 4* card.  >smh<

As others have indicated, we MUCH prefer the MDR lunch because of the more relaxed atmosphere compared to the Lido.  Not as many food choices but they always have something we like and it's so much nicer to be served than stand in crowded buffet lines. 🙂

• Like 2

I can’t say whether it’s always there, but I usually order a hot fudge sundae on the embarkation day lunch menu in the MDR. My personal bon voyage tradition.

It tastes so good with whipped cream on top - the way hot fudge sundaes did at the ice cream parlor when I was little.

• Like 1

Is the MDR embarkation lunch open to everyone?  

We have an upcoming cruise on HAL, after several on Celebrity so not sure how it works.

On Celebrity the lunch was only for Concierge Class so we've only done it once.  I prefer it to fighting with the first day crowds at the buffet.

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

I read in a different topic that the Pinnacle is open anytime the MDR is open. 

Does that mean the Pinnacle is open for lunch on Embarkation day? 

Pinnacle Grill is not open for lunch on embarkation day.

and it is not open for lunch every day.

It's hours for breakfast for NS & PS passengers is the same as the MDR though.  (In case that is the post you are thinking of).

We received an email stating earliest we could board for our upcoming cruise is 2 PM due to some sort of inspection.  Sail away remains 5pm.  Will there still be an embarkation lunch?  We normally try to board around 11 and have never boarded as last as 2 PM so not sure what to expect.  

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2019 at 9:14 AM, cruzin4us said:

Slightly off topic, but do they serve lunch at the Dive too on embarkation day?

Also slightly off topic but when is the best time to board with an 11 am start time? I imagine a lot of people will be lined up right at 11 am and would prefer not to stand in line. Is there a "good" window for boarding? 

And thanks for tip about the MDR - very handy and sounds great.  Peace and quiet will trump food quality or variety 😊