Western or Eastern Caribbean in June?

Grenouille21

Let's say you have the opportunity to sail in June, any time of the month, but only in June/first week of July.  Same ship, same price.  You've already done an Eastern and Western sailing but this one has 2 new-to-you ports on both itineraries.  Eastern has more sea days than Western.  Which would you choose, and why?   

Thanks!

Good points.  On the Western, we would stop at Cozumel, Grand Cayman (both of which I have visited), Belize and Roatan (neither of which I have visited).  Eastern stops in St. Thomas (was just there last week but would love to return and see St. John this time), St. Maarten, and the cruise line's private island (haven't been to either).  I do enjoy snorkeling.  

The cruise line is a new one for me, but this is practically a free cruise on a newly refurbed ship.  I'll be solo, in case that matters. 

If the private island were Half Moon Cay, that would HEAVILY favor the Eastern Caribbean itinerary for me. It's a beautiful stop. If you don't typically sail HAL or Carnival, you're not likely to make it back there; whereas, Roatan and Belize are becoming quite popular on the Western Caribbean itineraries so your chances of making it there are greater.

For me it's a no-brainer .... I much prefer the ports in the Eastern and Southern Caribbean over the Western. To me Cozumel is a waste of time. Grand Cayman is sort of OK. But those are just my personal preferences.

9 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

If the private island were Half Moon Cay, that would be a nice new stop. Conversely, on the Western, Roatan and Belize are good snorkeling areas...Belize being excellent.

Agree!  

If snorkeling is important to you, the Western would be my pick.  

On which cruise line will you be sailing?

1 hour ago, flamomo said:

For me it's a no-brainer .... I much prefer the ports in the Eastern and Southern Caribbean over the Western. To me Cozumel is a waste of time. Grand Cayman is sort of OK. But those are just my personal preferences.

Have you ever been to the back side of Cozumel?  Perhaps you should try that - it may provide a different perspective on the island.

Agree with you that the Southern is the best of three, however.

18 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

If the private island were Half Moon Cay, that would be a nice new stop. Conversely, on the Western, Roatan and Belize are good snorkeling areas...Belize being excellent.

9 hours ago, OCruisers said:

Agree!  

If snorkeling is important to you, the Western would be my pick.  

On which cruise line will you be sailing?

7 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Have you ever been to the back side of Cozumel?  Perhaps you should try that - it may provide a different perspective on the island.

Agree with you that the Southern is the best of three, however.

I have a Southern Caribbean sailing scheduled for 2020.  Can't wait!

9 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

It would pretty much be a toss up, but the two new ports would tip the scales for me.  BTW, the time in June or July would have no bearing on either.

Both itineraries have 2 new-to-me ports, though.  Glad to hear the timing is not going to make much difference.  I had heard that June is rainy and cloudy but July is not?  

17 hours ago, lab_love123 said:

If the private island were Half Moon Cay, that would HEAVILY favor the Eastern Caribbean itinerary for me. It's a beautiful stop. If you don't typically sail HAL or Carnival, you're not likely to make it back there; whereas, Roatan and Belize are becoming quite popular on the Western Caribbean itineraries so your chances of making it there are greater.

Private island is Princess Cays.  The other stops are places we might visit on future cruises, though.  I'm intrigued by Roatan and Belize, but not a fan of Cozumel.  Grand Cayman was fun, but I could skip it and be fine.  

18 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Private island is Princess Cays.  I am glad to hear Roatan and Belize have good snorkeling.  I definitely want to visit some day, but would be equally happy to visit with the kids (this trip would be solo).