MSC to buy Costa. Rumours or Troll

G.M.T.

A current passenger on Divinia has posted on the Costa board that MSC is to buy Costa, he heard it from passengers on the Divinia.

When asked why he didn't also post the information on the much more active MSC board, the answer was "Blocked".

I would have thought such information would have been welcomed here. Troll?

Here is the link: What do you think?

I would be very surprised if this was true.   

Unless Costa was losing a lot of money, why would Carnival Corp. sell it to a rival company?

And if that was the case, why would MSC want to buy it, since they are already buying a lot of new ships....

As for stockholder's...doubt that someone owning a hundred shares or so, would be privy to such inside information...that would be disclosed after the fact usually in a press release

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, citizenfrank said:

I doubt very much this is true.

Once, in my opinion, the two business models were identical ...but are surely sailing in opposite directions now.

That was my initial reaction too.  OTOH, as MSC moves its brand up-market, Costa could become its entry-level brand.  And it would give them a place to move all their older ships.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

That was my initial reaction too.  OTOH, as MSC moves its brand up-market, Costa could become its entry-level brand.  And it would give them a place to move all their older ships.

Now that is a very good point extremely well made!

Maybe 😮

This sort of sounds like “someone who knows someone told someone else who was in the Buffet line that MSC bought Costa”.

This is “grain of salt” territory.  That’s a big purchase and would have hit the financial news streams everywhere.  Haven’t seen one word about it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, citizenfrank said:

Now that is a very good point extremely well made!

Maybe 😮

I would think it has to be true!  I understand that a Geordie heard about it from a Kerryman who although he plays thick, is  a highly ranked member of either the aristocracy, or is married to someone who is related to a person who actually helped dock MSC ships in Miami one summer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, JAGR said:

I would think it has to be true!  I understand that a Geordie heard about it from a Kerryman who although he plays thick, is  a highly ranked member of either the aristocracy, or is married to someone who is related to a person who actually helped dock MSC ships in Miami one summer. 

Good enough for me! :classic_wink:

On 3/28/2019 at 10:02 PM, bob brown said:

As for stockholder's...doubt that someone owning a hundred shares or so, would be privy to such inside information...that would be disclosed after the fact usually in a press release

As I said, ‘Something so significant to the company would surely have been well publicised- annualreport, etc?

• Like 1

Just now, bob brown said:

I believe that when major deals such as this are being negotiated, the top management keep it "close to the vest", to avoid speculation.  Only when it's "done deal", is it announced...

And even then, it's not final.  Stockholder's have to vote their approval, regulator's have to permit it, and other player's may make their own bid.  

Anyone recall when RCCL was going to purchase P&O/Princess?   That deal was made, and then Carnival Corp got into a bidding war with RCCL, and eventually won.  

Not sure such a sale would make a lot of sense unless CCL was looking to turn assets into cash.  Given the relatively low interest rates and the nature of competition why would CCL want to sell 16 ships to a major competitor that is one of the fastest growing cruise lines in the world (MSC will be adding about 2 ships per year for the foreseeable future)?  Within 6-7 years, MSC will be operating at least 29 ships and the idea that increasing that to 45 ships would be a good move for either line is questionable.   

Hank

• Like 1

On 3/29/2019 at 6:55 PM, bob brown said:
On 3/29/2019 at 6:51 PM, bob brown said:

Stockholder's have to vote their approval

They do?  What makes you think that?  As a CCL and RCI shareholder, I have never been asked to approve/disapprove of a corporate move to buy/sell a segment of the company.

Correct, board of directors would likely decide on behalf of shareholders. (isn't MSC privately owned anyway?) Regarding the rumour,  It doesn't sound all that feasible but everything has its price.

Edited by spamwhiches
left out some text

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

They do?  What makes you think that?  As a CCL and RCI shareholder, I have never been asked to approve/disapprove of a corporate move to buy/sell a segment of the company.

Perhaps you are correct.

I was getting it turned around...the P&O/Princess stockholder's had to vote whether to accept the offer to sell to RCI or not, and consequently Carnival Corp., when they made a better offer.   So the seller stockholder's have to vote on it, not the buyer's...

1 hour ago, bob brown said:

Perhaps you are correct.

I was getting it turned around...the P&O/Princess stockholder's had to vote whether to accept the offer to sell to RCI or not, and consequently Carnival Corp., when they made a better offer.   So the seller stockholder's have to vote on it, not the buyer's...

That was because the entire company was being sold, so their stock would be affected (either replaced by CCL stock or cashed out).  In the case of this rumor, CCL would be disposing of a minor part of their empire so stockholders wouldn't be consulted.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

That was because the entire company was being sold, so their stock would be affected (either replaced by CCL stock or cashed out).  In the case of this rumor, CCL would be disposing of a minor part of their empire so stockholders wouldn't be consulted.

Okay...thanks for clarifying that.