Glacier Bay new contracts awarded

barbeyg

26 minutes ago, Anita Latte said:

Interesting. The note about Cunard for Carnival seems to indicate that only the Cunard business unit will be allowed access? Wondering if the non-restriction on RCI means that Celebrity Cruises will be able to sail Glacier Bay?

I was wondering the same thing.  Also, RCI already has their 2020 Alaska cruises out.  We have a RT one booked for next year, and would be surprised if they changed those.  Probably some of the one-way cruises will benefit since RCI can make more money with pre or post land tours on those cruises. 

It will be interesting to see what changes they make to the existing itineraries, and if they are able to grant some of those to Celebrity.  :classic_smile:

And then there is Azamara as well.  

Edited by barbeyg

35 minutes ago, Anita Latte said:

Interesting. The note about Cunard for Carnival seems to indicate that only the Cunard business unit will be allowed access? Wondering if the non-restriction on RCI means that Celebrity Cruises will be able to sail Glacier Bay?

Which note? I'm a little confused as most of the lines mentioned are owned by Carnival (Cunard, Carnival, Seabourn, Princess, HAL). If they meant Cunard, why mention Carnival at all as they didn't with the other lines.....Likewise, I wouldn't assume Azamara would be included when they note Royal Caribbean.

Is that how they did it 10 years ago?? I've tried to follow the ships that are allowed in (we're picky and only want small ships and that's pretty darn hard these days...) 

27 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

Likewise, I wouldn't assume Azamara would be included when they note Royal Caribbean.

The remarks about RCI are because the contract is with Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd, not RCI.  RCC LTD owns all of the ones mentioned, plus a majority share in Silver Seas and a couple other smaller lines.

34 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

Is that how they did it 10 years ago?? I've tried to follow the ships that are allowed in (we're picky and only want small ships and that's pretty darn hard these days...) 

This question got me to do a bit of searching for a new article from the NPS.  Here it is, but those awards don't look like they included 'holding companies' such as RCC Ltd.  Maybe they did though, and didn't clarify.  

https://www.nps.gov/glba/learn/news/2009-01-14.htm

And interestingly, that 10 year old news article mentions how many awards each received.

Edited by barbeyg
  • Thanks 1

Hmm, makes me wonder if they're trying to be more flexible about specific dates (in not noting how many awards each received)? 10 years is a long time to award a concession (for something like this), so I'd think NPS would want as much flexibility as they can get?

• Like 1

You have a great point.  :classic_smile:

I agree about 10 years being a really long time.  I was shocked when we first started going to AK and read up on that practice. lol  I did see another article that said the contracts weren't signed yet, and when they were all completed, there would be more info.   The announcement for 2010 was dated in January, and with more detail. 

Makes me wonder if there was some competitive contract "bidding" going on this time, or if NPS just wasn't in any hurry.  

1 hour ago, barbeyg said:

You have a great point.  :classic_smile:

I agree about 10 years being a really long time.  I was shocked when we first started going to AK and read up on that practice. lol  I did see another article that said the contracts weren't signed yet, and when they were all completed, there would be more info.   The announcement for 2010 was dated in January, and with more detail. 

Makes me wonder if there was some competitive contract "bidding" going on this time, or if NPS just wasn't in any hurry.  

In the parks we can drive into the concession companies and hotel operators get 10  year contracts, partly to cover their investment. It maybe that they just use a standard model contract for all parks.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/management/concessions.htm

Concession operations in national parks have existed since 1872, when the Yellowstone Park Act authorized the Secretary of the Interior to grant leases to private persons to develop visitor accommodations and facilities. This development was encouraged to fulfill a need and assist in promoting park awareness. National Park Service (NPS) policy limits development of public accommodations, facilities, and services to those that are:

• Necessary and appropriate for public use and enjoyment of the unit of NPS in which they are located; and
  • Consistent to the highest practicable degree with the preservation and conservation of the unit's resources and values.
A concessions operation is a way of providing commercial visitor services such as food, lodging, and retail through a third party (concessioner) within a national park. Concession contracts are generally valid for 10 years or less but can extend for as many as 20 years. Concession contracts specify the range of facilities accommodation, and services types the concessioner agrees to offer. The rates the concessioner can charge for these services are approved by the National Park Service and must be comparable to those under similar conditions outside the park.

In Yosemite, the Branch of Concessions Management manages three concessioners authorized to do business in Yosemite National Park: Yosemite Hospitality, LLC (a subsidiary of Aramark); Best's Studio, Inc. (The Ansel Adams Gallery); and the El Portal Market (National and State Park Concessions).

• Like 1

Cool, @AlanF65!

Always appreciate learning something new about our national parks. :classic_smile:  

We are fortunate to live very close to the Great Smoky Mtn Natl Park ourselves, and spend lots of time there, soaking in the beauty of nature that has been preserved.  

3 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

I've tried to follow the ships that are allowed in (we're picky and only want small ships and that's pretty darn hard these days...) 

Not sure how small but Lindblad, UnCruise and Alaskan Dream, and some others, have permits to visit Glacier Bay.  They fall under a different concession permit.

https://www.nps.gov/glba/learn/news/glacier-bay-issues-new-contracts-for-tour-vessel-services.htm

Edited by Glaciers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The one thing that almost put me off booking Viking this year was that it did not have the License for Glacier Bay. We are cruising there this year. Oh well, maybe I will have to return. 

Viking has approx  950 passengers. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Glaciers said:

Not sure how small but Lindblad, UnCruise and Alaskan Dream, and some others, have permits to visit Glacier Bay.  They fall under a different concession permit.

https://www.nps.gov/glba/learn/news/glacier-bay-issues-new-contracts-for-tour-vessel-services.htm

Too small, or rather, not luxurious enough 😉 We were on Seabourn Sojourn this past AK season and it was wonderful, but I was only "willing" to do that itinerary because we'd been on Pacific Princess back in 2007 and gone through Glacier Bay (which I'd also seen on my first AK cruise back in 1986...) 

500-700 passengers I think is my comfort spot. Though I'm looking at some of the <100 options off the Croatian coast. And we've done a river cruise as well (130 passengers?) But those aren't quite comparable to ocean cruise ships.

Edited by Hoyaheel

9 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

Too small, or rather, not luxurious enough 😉 We were on Seabourn Sojourn this past AK season and it was wonderful, but I was only "willing" to do that itinerary because we'd been on Pacific Princess back in 2007 and gone through Glacier Bay (which I'd also seen on my first AK cruise back in 1986...) 

500-700 passengers I think is my comfort spot. Though I'm looking at some of the <100 options off the Croatian coast. And we've done a river cruise as well (130 passengers?) But those aren't quite comparable to ocean cruise ships.

Having been on a local luxury Croatian cruise last year the term luxury must be loosely applied. Passenger count of 35.  Unless you are hiring your own private yacht. It was a great cruise but certainly not luxurious in the Cruise line sense of the word. You could look at Viking which has 900 passengers. 

I'm not interested in Viking (or Regent) because I don't like the model where the fare is high because I'm paying for included excursions....The ocean ships look nice - I know my husband would enjoy the Scandi design. 

51 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

I thought the NPS wanted to keep a firm hand on the number of cruises into GB.  If they're now granting access to so many other cruiselines, I wonder if Princess and HAL will "lose" some of their visits.

Maybe, but there's no indication how many other cruiselines will get. Carnival has permits but in the 2018 season, I think only 2 itineraries on one ship actually cruised Glacier Bay (I remember being confused someone was talking about going because I didn't think Carnival had a permit....I think they had one May, one September or something likewise very limited....)

1 hour ago, BarbinMich said:

I thought the NPS wanted to keep a firm hand on the number of cruises into GB.  If they're now granting access to so many other cruiselines, I wonder if Princess and HAL will "lose" some of their visits.

My guess is that they are still only allowing 2 ships per day. They just distributed the permits differently. 

What I don't understand is that, if the new contracts take effect in October 2019, what will happen with bookings for 2020 that have already been made? (I have one.) How will they determine which sailings have Glacier Bay added, by lines that didn't have any permits for 2019, and will any lines lose permits and have to drop Glacier Bay from already-sold bookings?

[IGNORE stuff at the very bottom of this post; tried to delete it but couldn't.]

Here's a map showing the usual route into GB with a few photos of what you might see:

https://www.nps.gov/glba/planyourvisit/typical-cruise-ship-route-in-glacier-bay.htm

The restrictions on cruise ships are part of Federal Reg Title 36:  Parks, Forests and Public Property, Subpart N:  Special Regulations--Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve:  Vessel Permits

"13.1154   Commercial vessel permits and conditions.

Each commercially operated motor vessel must have a permit to operate in Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve in accordance with §5.3 of this chapter.

(a) A cruise ship must have a concession contract to operate in Glacier Bay.

. . .

(c) The operator of a cruise ship, tour vessel, charter vessel, and passenger ferry must notify the Bartlett Cove Ranger Station of the vessel's entry into Glacier Bay within 48 hours in advance of entering Glacier Bay or immediately upon entry.

(d) Cruise ships and tour vessels are prohibited from operating in the Beardslee Entrance and at the entrance to Adams Inlet, as defined as waters within the Wilderness boundaries in those respective areas.

(e) Off-boat activity from a cruise ship, tour vessel, or charter vessel is prohibited, unless authorized by the superintendent.

. . .

§13.1160   Restrictions on vessel entry.

The superintendent will allow vessel entry in accordance with the following table:

Type of vessel

Daily vessel
quotas (DVQ)

Period covered by DVQ

Seasonal vessel
quota (SVQ)

Period covered by SVQ

Cruise ship

Year-round

Up to 184

June 1-August 31.

Up to 122

May and September.

Tour vessel

Year-round

N/A

N/A.

Charter vessel

Jun 1-Aug 31

N/A

N/A.

Private vessel

Jun 1-Aug 31

N/A

N/A.

Passenger ferry

Year-round

N/A

N/A.

Note: Cruise ships and tour vessels are limited to the daily vessel quota year-round. Charter and private vessels are not subject to quotas from September through May.

(a) The Director will reduce the vessel quota levels for any or all categories of vessels in this subpart as required to protect the values and purposes of Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve. The director will make these reductions based on the controlling biological opinion issued by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Fisheries Service under section 7 of the Endangered Species Act, applicable authority, and any other relevant information.

(b) The superintendent will annually determine the cruise ship quota. This determination will be based upon applicable authorities, appropriate public comment and available scientific and other information. The number will be subject to the maximum daily vessel quota of two vessels.

(c) From June 1 through August 31, the superintendent will designate one private vessel permit from the daily quota of 25 as a transit permit. This transit permit may be used only to directly exit Glacier Bay from Bartlett Cove and return directly to Bartlett Cove. The superintendent may establish application procedures and operating conditions. Violating operating conditions is prohibited. This paragraph will cease to have effect on November 30, 2011."

Probably more than anyone wanted to know <g>

image.png

Edited by BarbinMich

3 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Barb, from your map it looks like the entrance to Glacier Bay is by Hoonah/ Icy Straight Point, is that correct?  Wondering of Celebrity might drop ISP next year for Glacier Bay.

They will replace a glacier day such as Hubbard or Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm.