Currently on Summit Suite Class 6146 - 1st Impression

Want2Cruise 701

We're in 6145 (on the other side) in May and I have to say for it being our first suite, which should be a joyful occasion, I'm dreading it now, and soooo sorry we paid all that money for what we are going to get.

I hope the people in 6145 have done the legwork for us of getting much of the furniture switched out, like you did.  I'm so grateful for your advice.  And all those tchotchkes and whatnot are just beyond ridiculous in a cruise ship cabin.  We don't need that crap, we need places to put our own stuff, and enough drawers and shelves to put our clothes.

It shouldn't be that difficult to glue a shelf in the shower for your shampoo, etc.  I do not want to be constantly bending down in a wet area.  An accident waiting to happen.

And I don't know where we're going to sit outside with no shade anywhere.  I guess I'll be wearing my rashguard all the time. 

I'm just shaking my head on who could have thought any of this was a good idea, so form over function.

My only saving grace is that we're also booked on the Infinity, in AQ, in December, so BEFORE they go in for the horrible makeover.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

If anyone has a chance to look back at the stern, can you see if the 12 aft C1 cabins still have lounges and table & chairs, like the FVs still do?  Thanks.  

I tried but I couldn't get a good look.  I hope they do.  The best balconies on the ship besides the PH if you can afford it.  Of all the pictures coming out, I have yet to see any from the Aft C1s.  Our first cruise ever was in an Aft C1 on the Summit.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, warmwinds said:

We're in 6145 (on the other side) in May and I have to say for it being our first suite, which should be a joyful occasion, I'm dreading it now, and soooo sorry we paid all that money for what we are going to get.

I hope the people in 6145 have done the legwork for us of getting much of the furniture switched out, like you did.  I'm so grateful for your advice.  And all those tchotchkes and whatnot are just beyond ridiculous in a cruise ship cabin.  We don't need that crap, we need places to put our own stuff, and enough drawers and shelves to put our clothes.

It shouldn't be that difficult to glue a shelf in the shower for your shampoo, etc.  I do not want to be constantly bending down in a wet area.  An accident waiting to happen.

And I don't know where we're going to sit outside with no shade anywhere.  I guess I'll be wearing my rashguard all the time. 

I'm just shaking my head on who could have thought any of this was a good idea, so form over function.

My only saving grace is that we're also booked on the Infinity, in AQ, in December, so BEFORE they go in for the horrible makeover.

Hopefully the cruisers in there before you are repeat cruisers and/or knows the suite pre-revolution.  Just ask, and don't take "no" for an answer.  If not tell the Suite Manager, Joanna, you know Jessica, and she'll definitely accommodate you.  She will not want to have to deal with another me.  

Tip.  Two of bottles will fit on top of chrome where the levers for the hot/cold and on/off are.  We figured this out the last few days of the cruise.  It won't fit three or a bar of soap if you bring one like me.  It also won't fit a razor either.

The sun was hit or miss so definitely not all sunny.  You will have periods of shade it just depends on where the sun is.  

Glad your next cruise is before the makeover.  We had to cancel our Equinox cruise this summer since it would've been just a month after drydock and final payment fell before the makeover start. 

Had the same lamps in the SS1. They were not reading lamps as they illuminated in a downward position. Since we read, we had to put on the cabin lights at night. Nothing to replace according to butler. Regarding the armed chair, I just put it in the corner and piled all the pillows on it so I could use the mirror and the electrical plug.

On 4/1/2019 at 9:57 AM, emairs said:

Kelly Hoppen should have been fired after her screw ups on the Edge.

I can’t believe that her mistakes are continuing with the Edge-ification of the other ships.

I agree with this completely. As a frequent Summit cruise I am less and less impressed. I get it with Edge but honestly this woman didn’t have a clue. The cabins have so many flaws. It doesn’t appear anyone who ever cruised had a hand in the approvals 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wspano11 said:

I agree with this completely. As a frequent Summit cruise I am less and less impressed. I get it with Edge but honestly this woman didn’t have a clue. The cabins have so many flaws. It doesn’t appear anyone who ever cruised had a hand in the approvals 

I agree completely.  I think frequent cruisers like ourselves should come together to develop our own ship designing brand.  We could definitely put Hoppen out of business.  

• Like 1

I am surprised they didn’t use focus groups or something with these designs. They relied on this woman to make decisions that don’t function. These ships are going to show their wear VERY quickly. Then what???? 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, FLbeachbaby said:

Had the same lamps in the SS1. They were not reading lamps as they illuminated in a downward position. Since we read, we had to put on the cabin lights at night. Nothing to replace according to butler. Regarding the armed chair, I just put it in the corner and piled all the pillows on it so I could use the mirror and the electrical plug.

Guess I will pack a mini clip on reading light...poor design,  poor quality control... Always a work around. Thanks for the heads up..

5 hours ago, wspano11 said:

From looking at photos, with so many of the shelves and cupboards impractically located down low, at or near floor level, I am thinking that she must be one of those very flexible people who practice yoga.

Too bad they didn't pick someone with bad knees to design the storage areas.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'm just back.  We were in 6146.  I have stayed in this room before and  I was completely happy with the redo.  The armed chair was back in front of the desk/mirror but honestly, in my opinion, there was more than enough room for it and I didn't find it in the way even though the chair doesn't go all the way under.  I know this room is a little bigger than standard S1's but my sister was in 6130 and she didn't find the chair to be in her way either. 

Happy to report the sofa had been delivered to the suite previous to my cruise so we were able to use it. 

There was ample storage for me and I over-packed big time!  I put most of our shoes in the cabinet drawer in the foyer and the extras went in the bottom of the closet.  I used a couple of the small round vases for my make up (brushes, mascaras, etc.).  I had no problem fitting my hand mirror, hair brush and curling iron in the drawer in the desk.

The lounge chairs had been removed from the deck and I asked if they could put one back which they did before I finished lunch the first day.  I only asked for one since my husband was more than happy with the enormous sofa.  He very happily took afternoon naps on it and even slept on it one night because he said I was snoring (which I doubt HA!)  The deck had a large sofa, a small table with two wooden chairs and then the lounge chair I requested.

For me the bed and pillows were heaven.  Very comfortable. 

I did miss cabinets in the bathroom where I could put my things, but the shelving under the sinks were fine. I don't like clutter, so I want things hidden behind doors.  For one week, it was fine.  Nothing fell off the open shelving.  The interior of the bathroom door did not have a hook to hang your robe which I thought was odd and I did miss the make-up mirror in the bathroom but I didn't miss the scales!  I can report though, my sister had a bathroom scale in her room. 

Budi, the butler, had a somewhat different style than I'm used to but if there was something I needed he took care of it immediately......just a phone call.  

All in all, the room was fantastic, the itinerary great, the retreat lounge and sundeck amazing.  We had a great week.  And I forgot to say all the staff were as friendly and cheerful as ever! 

• Like 7

On 3/31/2019 at 3:07 PM, varoo said:

As others have suggested in the past, those designers, as well as the cruise line's top officials, should be required to live in those cabins for a week or more before releasing them to the general public.

Maybe then they would notice little things such as desk chairs that don't fit under the desk, or uncomfortable and impractical balcony chairs, or lack of dining tables for room service meals.

AMEN !!!!!!!!!!!!

They certainly could create prototype cabins, and have decision makers rotate through them. 

On our last (15 day) cruise, my chronic lung problems were really bad. I spent an enormous amount of time in my cabin, not "utilizing the ship." There was a video about Edge that was frequently played. On it, Kelly Hoppen said, "I've been on cruise ships" and something to the effect of I know what's needed. Yeah, no. Being on a cruise ship and actually cruising are not the same thing.

Prioritizing form over function is NOT a good way to please and retain customers.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Alsmez said:

We'll be in 6124 (an S2) in a few weeks, so I am taking notes. Hopefully some of the kinks will have been worked out by then!

My husband and I will, also, be in 6124 for the May 12th sailing to Bermuda.  By any chance does someone have pictures or information with respect to that particular suite?  Should would appreciate having a "heads up."

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:59 PM, patchit said:

I'm just back.  We were in 6146.  I have stayed in this room before and  I was completely happy with the redo.  The armed chair was back in front of the desk/mirror but honestly, in my opinion, there was more than enough room for it and I didn't find it in the way even though the chair doesn't go all the way under.  I know this room is a little bigger than standard S1's but my sister was in 6130 and she didn't find the chair to be in her way either. 

Happy to report the sofa had been delivered to the suite previous to my cruise so we were able to use it. 

There was ample storage for me and I over-packed big time!  I put most of our shoes in the cabinet drawer in the foyer and the extras went in the bottom of the closet.  I used a couple of the small round vases for my make up (brushes, mascaras, etc.).  I had no problem fitting my hand mirror, hair brush and curling iron in the drawer in the desk.

The lounge chairs had been removed from the deck and I asked if they could put one back which they did before I finished lunch the first day.  I only asked for one since my husband was more than happy with the enormous sofa.  He very happily took afternoon naps on it and even slept on it one night because he said I was snoring (which I doubt HA!)  The deck had a large sofa, a small table with two wooden chairs and then the lounge chair I requested.

I did miss cabinets in the bathroom where I could put my things, but the shelving under the sinks were fine. I don't like clutter, so I want things hidden behind doors.  For one week, it was fine.  Nothing fell off the open shelving.  The interior of the bathroom door did not have a hook to hang your robe which I thought was odd and I did miss the make-up mirror in the bathroom but I didn't miss the scales!  I can report though, my sister had a bathroom scale in her room. 

Budi, the butler, had a somewhat different style than I'm used to but if there was something I needed he took care of it immediately......just a phone call.  

All in all, the room was fantastic, the itinerary great, the retreat lounge and sundeck amazing.  We had a great week.  And I forgot to say all the staff were as friendly and cheerful as ever! 

I guess we had a completely different experience.  I guess it didn't start out right for us when we didn't have any a/c because they forgot to put a vent in the cabin, we didn't have the sofa and that freshly wet coffee stain waiting for us at our feet when we opened the door. 

I can't believe they didn't leave the loungers on the balcony, and they had to bring one back.  All that work.  That cabin had two before the redo when I was in it.  Different strokes but I hated that hard plastic white desk chair. I used the drawer in the foyer for all the Kelley Hoppen junk in the cabin so our shoes were piled on top of each other on the wardrobe bottom.  I thought the space was skimpy.  We fit all the hanging stuff but needed more drawer space.  We had to put stuff on the low shelves near the floor.  An extra wardrobe in place of that step in the foyer or a whole unit of drawers in place of the step would have been a help for us.

What about the cheap nightsands and bedside lamps or lack thereof a lamp?  Did they replace those?  It just irked me that regular cabins had actual lamps and nicer nightstands, and we couldn't read in bed at night.  Did they ever put a holder in the shower? 

Maybe all the Buddi complaints paid off.  The only thing he did was give us the afternoon snacks. We saw him the first day and never again until the last night in the hall.  Never did answer the phone.  A lovely couple we met on our sailing actually asked to have Buddi removed.  Something I would have never thought of.  There was a couple with a child in RS on the 1st sailing that said Buddi was awful too.       

15 minutes ago, Want2Cruise 701 said:

I guess we had a completely different experience.

Maybe all the Buddi complaints paid off.  The only thing he did was give us the afternoon snacks. We saw him the first day and never again until the last night in the hall.  Never did answer the phone.  A lovely couple we met on our sailing actually asked to have Buddi removed.  Something I would have never thought of.  There was a couple with a child in RS on the 1st sailing that said Buddi was awful too.       

You would think Celebrity would assign the best butlers to the PH and RS’s for what they charge.

So glad we cancelled an RS in favor of Oceania where the top suites

usually get the head or other best butlers.

On 4/24/2019 at 11:32 AM, orchestrapal said:

You would think Celebrity would assign the best butlers to the PH and RS’s for what they charge.

So glad we cancelled an RS in favor of Oceania where the top suites

usually get the head or other best butlers.

We have sailed with Celebrity and Oceania. I can tell you that we sailed in an Oceania Suite on Oceania Riviera and our butler was a total “dud.”

Now, in fairness, this was our experience with Oceania. I am in no way suggesting this is a common experience. Just wanted to point out that, eventhough a cruise line may command a higher price ticket, it does not guarantee a flawless experience.

Randy

• Like 1

We sailed in a CS in January before the refit and had Buddi as a butler and while he wasn't the best we ever had, certainly had no issues with him.  Probably rate as above average butler experience.

On 4/13/2019 at 3:37 PM, warmwinds said:

We have sailed in 6145 a number of times prior to the update. We will get our first opportunity to sail in the new version of 6145 in August 2020.

We are actually looking forward to seeing how the changes affect us personally...if at all. Change of any kind can be exciting to some people and challenging to others at the same time. One of the things we do not want to do, is let all of the “noise” affect our situation.

The comments on these boards reflect the personal opinions of those posting....including our personal opinion. All are valuable in their own right, but may not be applicable to our situation. When we board the ship and enter the stateroom, we will then have experience, rather than opinion. Only then, can we decide if these changes warrant any differences in our future behaviour.

Your first suite, as you indicate, should be a joyful occasion. We sincerely hope you enjoy your suite and ship experience in the manner to which was intended when you originally booked.

Randy

Edited by Schmoe38
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Schmoe38 said:

We have sailed in 6145 a number of times prior to the update. We will get our first opportunity to sail in the new version of 6145 in August 2020.

We are actually looking forward to seeing how the changes affect us personally...if at all. Change of any kind can be exciting to some people and challenging to others at the same time. One of the things we do not want to do, is let all of the “noise” affect our situation.

The comments on these boards reflect the personal opinions of those posting....including our personal opinion. All are valuable in their own right, but may not be applicable to our situation. When we board the ship and enter the stateroom, we will then have experience, rather than opinion. Only then, can we decide if these changes warrant any differences in our future behaviour.

Your first suite, as you indicate, should be a joyful occasion. We sincerely hope you enjoy your suite and ship experience in the manner to which was intended when you originally booked.

Randy

You are correct, I should not let the pictures influence me so much.  Those hard wooden chairs with the uncomfortable-LOOKING backs on our veranda might be the most comfortable chairs I've ever sat on.  Won't know until I'm there.

4 hours ago, Schmoe38 said:

On 3/31/2019 at 1:01 PM, wingnut2005 said:

Also sitting on the beach in St Croix admiring Summit at port have to say we are having none of the issues mentioned above we are in steerage class lol so maybe our expectations are lower oceanview room lots of storage haven't filled all the cupboards have plenty of room in shower for storage of personal products ,We love the colour scheme and overall layout of the room.Sailed Summit 2 years ago and in our opinion a vast improvement .

On 3/31/2019 at 1:01 PM, wingnut2005 said:

Also sitting on the beach in St Croix admiring Summit at port have to say we are having none of the issues mentioned above we are in steerage class lol so maybe our expectations are lower oceanview room lots of storage haven't filled all the cupboards have plenty of room in shower for storage of personal products ,We love the colour scheme and overall layout of the room.Sailed Summit 2 years ago and in our opinion a vast improvement .

• 4 months later...
On 4/22/2019 at 12:59 PM, patchit said:

I’m so happy to read this because we just booked 6145 for April 2021. We just got off the Summit today and booked while still onboard. We’ve never had anything higher than a mini-suite (no perks). A friend of ours had a Sky Suite on our sailing. I thought their room was lovey and she never complained once about their accommodations. I’m fact, she told me I needed to try it and that once you try it you don’t go back. We were perfectly happy with our C2, but their room was much larger and I loved the suite areas. 

To the OP, thanks for all the photos!  They were quite helpful and I’m sure we will enjoy it.