Which of these 2 cruises would be best? First cruise with our 3.5 year old

backforty

My husband and I have taken about 6 cruises (not newbies)- however it's been at least 5-6 years since our last cruise. 

We now have a 3.5 year old, so that changes a lot when it comes to vacationing! However we feel like our kid is at a good age now for their first cruise. 

We have narrowed it down to two cruises (based on departure port, length, and price). 

Option 1 is a 7 day cruise on Carnival Pride, going to Freeport Bahamas, Half Moon Cay, and Grand Turk. 

Option 2 is a 9 day cruise on Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Seas, going to Bermuda, Nassau, and CoCoCay. 

I am having a hard time deciding between the two. Typically we would prefer RCCL over Carnival (based on past experience, but that was without a kid).

One big benefit of the Carnival choice is that we could upgrade to a balcony room, but due to cost we'd have to get an inside room on the RCCL cruise.

We think the itinerary is better on the RCCL cruise (especially since CoCoCay just got a MAJOR overhaul). We have been to Nassau and didn't like it, and have never been to Bermuda (but wanted to). The other ports I can't remember if we've been there or not. 

In the past we always research and plan grand wild adventures at every port, but hubby said this time we are staying within walking distance of the ship. We have not been happy with ship excursions in the past (overcrowded, overpriced, etc), so we always planned our own. Doing that was a lot of fun (and economical!), but admittedly we had many close calls (safety issues, transportation issues, etc). Now that we have a kid he wants the extra security of staying near port. Honestly all we need is a nice beach, but I doubt that will be available within walking distance to the ship. 

Please help me choose, we need to book it soon! 

We will probably be going in October, in case that makes any difference in weather, water temperature, etc. 

I would ordinarily say take the longer cruise, but it is my understanding, from what I read here, that the inside cabins on the older Royal ships are VERY small compared to Carnival cabins.  And the 3/4 person has an upper bunk.  On Pride the OV and balcony cabins will have a sofabed in a cabin for 3, add an upper for the 4th.  Very popular on the Spirit class of Carnival are the 4K interior cabins.  they had french doors that had a railing, no balcony, and a splendid view of lifeboats.  I understand that they are sealing those doors and you now have a large window that looks at lifeboats.  They are a value as they are priced as insides.  EM

• Like 1

Prior to having kids, we sometimes experienced transportation issues since we booked larger private group tours in which the vendor matched us up with other families.  Sometimes people on the tours were late, or got lost, or the vendors pushed us to stay later than we were comfortable with.

However, we’ve never had any travel issue yet when traveling with our kids since we always book a private tour for just our family and can therefore we can completely control the itinerary.     Please explain to your husband that if he’s worried, you can plan to get back from your private tour extremely early, with lots of time to spare.   The vendors will be happy to take you back whenever you want.  If there is an emergency on the roads, do bear in mind that other travelers (including the cruise tours) will probably experience it too.  It’s a good idea to research a backup plan ahead of time - know a cab company, have the phone number of the port representative, but as long as you leave yourself enough time you’ll be fine. 

I would recommend travel insurance, mostly for medical evacuation since that can get very expensive quickly but I wouldn’t be afraid to take a private tour, especially in Bermuda which felt safer to me than my home city of NY.     And also bear in mind that our children have been to Cartagena, St. Petersburg, Panama, Guatemala and Honduras without any issues (well actually our ship tour in Panama was a disaster but that was because the government wouldn't let us off this ship unless we took a ship tour, which I strongly recommend against ever taking with small children.  Because we didn't control the itinerary that day it was our only travel disaster so far).

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 2

I would want a balcony cabin with a child who may still be napping or going to bed early...it gives you someplace "to be".

Both are older ships, so no "bells and whistles", but that's ok...a 3.5 year old can't use them, anyway!  Both lines offer the kids clubs....so you can get some "adult time" and your child will have a blast in the club on either line!

• Like 2

I would take the 7 day - especially since it is your child's first cruise. You aren't sure how he/she is going to react, if he/she will get seasick, etc. And kids wear out a lot faster than adults, especially in the sea air. After 7 days, your child will be exhausted.

• Like 2

My kids started cruising at 13 and 15 months of age respectively. I can't stress enough the importance of having adequate accommodations when traveling with small children. You will most likely spend more time in your stateroom than when traveling without children. You want space, and you want a place to escape to (like a balcony) if your child is taking a nap, etc. You don't want  to spend your vacation in a windowless broom closet. 

More spacious accommodations has become increasingly important for us. Even when our kids were only 2 and 4 years old, we'd sometimes get 2 cabins with a connecting door (which we'd keep open at all times). Last year, I bit the bullet and booked our first suite. It truly enhanced our cruise tremendously to have a stateroom that we actually looked forward to "coming home" to. I now wish that our budget could always allow us to travel like that because it truly spoiled us for life!. 

With all of that said, I do like the 9 night itinerary more, and I like Royal Caribbean more than Carnival, but I would only take that cruise if I could get better accommodations than an inside cabin. Otherwise I'd go with the 7 night on Carnival. 

No matter what you select, have a great cruise! 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 2:14 PM, cb at sea said:

I would want a balcony cabin with a child who may still be napping or going to bed early...it gives you someplace "to be".

Both are older ships, so no "bells and whistles", but that's ok...a 3.5 year old can't use them, anyway!  Both lines offer the kids clubs....so you can get some "adult time" and your child will have a blast in the club on either line!

our kid started cruising at 3 (still napping), and I had no problem with him napping in the inside room, while I listened to audio books or read with a small light. His first cruise was on the Independence of the Seas.

We just did an inside room on the Allure. The ship had so much to do that we only crashed in our cabin to sleep.

My kid has also refused to participate in any kid's club... He is 8 now, still cruising and still refusing to do kid's club. So, it's kid dependent.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone for the replies! I honestly dread getting an inside cabin... and agree with Tapi that getting a balcony room in the past ruined us for life! Now that we have a taste of balcony life, going back to an inside room feels like a closet. But I assume we would probably be on the go a lot, and if it's just a place to sleep, it won't matter as much. Still haven't pulled the trigger on a booking, but hoping to soon! 

We cruised twice with our Twins, once when they were 3 and then the following year when they were four on the Breakaway on NCL.  We booked a balcony and that was our saving grace.  We'd put the kids down at night and we would sit on the balcony with a glass of wine and relax.  It was really nice.  Both kids loved the Kid's Club and to this day talk about how much fun it was.  We didn't try and have them take a nap when they were three and by the time we sailed the following year they weren't napping so it was no big deal for us.  Have fun!!

• 3 weeks later...

I would take the Carnival if you do not want to go far. Grand Turk you are at the beach. Freeport you are close to the beach. Half Moon Cay , is the private island on the beach. And you would have a nice balcony to relax on. I love Royal but it feels like the Carnival ship is a better match this go around.

And I agree, do not do large group private excursions. Do small and you dictate the itinerary and you will never have issues. I have never booked through the ship and my family has had zero issues. 

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, we won't do inside cabins but especially with a little one who naps.. because we'd be in the cabin more often than if it were just us. I would base my decision off of the ports and if you have to tender, which has free close beaches (I wouldn't expect to spend money on many excursions because tots get tired so easily), etc.

Not sure if you booked already, but I've done both of those itineraries you posted.  I would suggest the Pride.  The ports are exactly what you want.  In Nassau you can get a day pass at the Hilton that is walking distance from the port, Half Moon Cay you are tendered to the beach, and Freeport we stayed on the ship and enjoyed having it to ourselves.  There was minimal costs in the ports so we were able to upgrade to the extended balcony which was nice to have a little extra room.  

Also the Pride is a great sized ship for your little one.  The splash park is just the right size for a 3.5 year old.

• Like 1