Viking Irun in collision with tank ship

G.M.T.

Thanks for posting. That sounds fairly serious, but luckily there were not more injuries. I was able to read a little of the article in the original German (I am trying to learn, but it's really challenging), but I had to translate the rest using Google. Here is a copy of Google's translation:

Once again there was a crash on the river and once again Viking River Cruises is involved. In the early morning of April 1, the Viking Idun collided with a tanker (chemical marketer), which had loaded petroleum. At around 2 o'clock in the morning, the accident occurred on the Westerschelde near the Dutch town of Terneuzen.

Various people were said to have been injured and were first [provided first aid??] by rushing ambulances and then partly taken to the hospital for further care. Four passengers were treated aboard, a crew member had to go to the hospital. A total of 171 passengers aboard the Viking Idun and 44 crew members.

Both ships, the river cruise ship Viking Idun, as well as the chemical tanker Chemikal Marketer were severely damaged. The damage on board the ships, however, are above the waterline, so there is no danger of a major accident or flooding threatens. The tanker dropped anchor at the accident site, the Viking Idun moored in the port of Terneuzen.

• Like 1

According to another website (www.fleetmon.com),

“Viking issued this statement 

We can confirm that just after midnight (CEST) on 1 April, VIKING IDUN and a cargo vessel collided while sailing from Antwerp to Ghent. No guests were injured. The ship sustained some damage near the bow and is currently docked in Terneuzen with all guests. While damage of the ship is being assessed, guests will continue with a modified version of the itinerary. We hope to have the ship in operation in time for its next departure on 4 April, if that should not be so future guests will be accommodated on another Viking Longship. Viking’s Customer Relations team will communicate directly with the guests or their travel agents.”

Found a Dutch report - one of many, this one is at least partly public: https://www.schuttevaer.nl/nieuws/actueel/nid30831-gewonden-bij-aanvaring-cruiseschip-en-tanker-bij-terneuzen.html Several people were injured. From the photo it looks like considerable damage at the stern. No more sailig for the Idun I should think - at least for insurance and safety purposes.

For a moment I was hoping some internet freaks (none here on CC) were doing a bad April Fool's joke. Sadly it is true.

Edit: found a video: https://www.gva.be/cnt/dmf20190401_04294326/cruiseschip-en-tanker-bestemd-voor-antwerpen-botsen-op-westerschelde

I hope everyone recovers very quickly.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
link to video

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Found a Dutch report - one of many, this one is at least partly public: https://www.schuttevaer.nl/nieuws/actueel/nid30831-gewonden-bij-aanvaring-cruiseschip-en-tanker-bij-terneuzen.html Several people were injured. From the photo it looks like considerable damage at the stern. No more sailig for the Idun I should think - at least for insurance and safety purposes.

For a moment I was hoping some internet freaks (none here on CC) were doing a bad April Fool's joke. Sadly it is true.

Edit: found a video: https://www.gva.be/cnt/dmf20190401_04294326/cruiseschip-en-tanker-bestemd-voor-antwerpen-botsen-op-westerschelde

I hope everyone recovers very quickly.

notamermaid

The official word from Viking on the status of Viking Idun is:

“We can confirm that just after midnight (CEST) on 1 April, VIKING IDUN and a cargo vessel collided while sailing from Antwerp to Ghent. No guests were injured. The ship sustained some damage near the bow and is currently docked in Terneuzen with all guests. While damage of the ship is being assessed, guests will continue with a modified version of the itinerary. We hope to have the ship in operation in time for its next departure on 4 April, if that should not be so future guests will be accommodated on another Viking Longship. Viking’s Custom er Relations team will communicate directly with the guests or their travel agents.”

13 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

sure see Viking and accidents in the new often...gotta wonder?

Just count the total number of ships Viking has on the rivers and it is no great surprise that you hear more about them than other lines.

You might just as well say that Crystal has an appalling record because last year 20% of their fleet was involved in accidents... but that would of course be just one ship and one accident 🙂

• Thanks 1