Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Just heard the next 3 sailings are cancelled.

Why post that without any more info 

Have seen similar stuff on FB - 'I know something you dont' 🙄 If you have facts post them otherwise don't stir the pot please. There are a lot of concerned people waiting for firm news

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dry Dock Dave said:

Agreed, but how many years ago was that? How many ships in there since last time? How much weight lifted over and over on an antique structure?

im not disputing they may well have lifted it the same amount. I’m saying to me it’s clear they put more weight that the dock bottom could cope with down the centre of it 

Antique structure?  You know the history of this drydock?  Please provide some information.  And you know the findings of all the class surveys of this dock since the Oasis did this first in 2014, and the Allure in 2016?  Just because the majority of floating drydocks in the US date from WWII, that doesn't mean every one in the world does.  And, I don't see any evidence that the dock collapsed, the bow on picture does not show the wingwalls leaning towards each other as if the bottom had folded.  Sorry, I don't buy the overloading theory.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, darthvadrouw said:

Scheduled dry dock isn't until this fall

I know, but I don't see it sailing any time soon to anywhere. Guess it has to be repaired before it can take passengers again, so will need go to dry dock earlier than planned and hopefully they can accommodate her.

3 minutes ago, Bobal said:

Why post that without any more info 

Have seen similar stuff on FB - 'I know something you dont' 🙄 If you have facts post them otherwise don't stir the pot please. There are a lot of concerned people waiting for firm news

And read my post after that.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ptf2009 said:

Um...that's not what people want to hear....we go on her in 40 days.

I am very sympathetic to those that are cruising soon.  Its a a friggan disaster and I feel your pain.  In saying that just look at the damage that is just visible in the picture.  Its millions of dollars of damage!!  That screen alone is probably hundreds of thousands.  The cruise industry is no different than how disney operates.  Its all about the vision.  Its about the WOW!  They do now want you to walk on that ship and see a construction zone.  This will not sail with a bent balcony that looks like it does.  Yellow caution tape to block off guests is not the image they want to leave you with.  Dont get me wrong, maybe its something they can fix quickly but it looks very bad to me. My guess is that Oasis does not sail with any cosmetic damage.  I am truly hoping that they get it fixed ASAP so the nobody is effected but those pictures are nasty.

Who knows whats going on below the water line.  To send off all the crew members to the states is another indication this may be a while.

• Like 1

After looking at pics, It may take them a couple weeks just to get it out of the drydock. Those portside cranes are leaning against the upper decks.That has to be a dangerous situation. I don't know how they'll be able to do anything with that without another crane to remove those cranes. That has to happen before they can float or sink anything. After they get the cranes removed, theres the azipod/cofferdam question. If those cofferdams were dry in the morning, by two, theres a decent chance they already had it somewhat disassembled. Not all the way of course, but bolts loose and parts laying on the floor isn't unreasonable. In that case, what damage does that do? Theres the question of if the cofferdams have damaged the dock, azipods, or ship as well. If the ship is laying against the dock now, when they get it down, will it just float out or will it be stuck? I'm guessing that depends on damage to the dock. Worst case though, if they had an azipod loose or if they are damaged, and the dock itself is damaged an unuseable, how would they even fix the ship to get it under power again? 

I'm all ears for anyone with real world knowledge and experience with this. I'm just trying to look at this from a logical standpoint. 

1 minute ago, ticketsunlimited said:

I am very sympathetic to those that are cruising soon.  Its a a friggan disaster and I feel your pain.  In saying that just look at the damage that is just visible in the picture.  Its millions of dollars of damage!!  That screen alone is probably hundreds of thousands.  The cruise industry is no different than how disney operates.  Its all about the vision.  Its about the WOW!  They do now want you to walk on that ship and see a construction zone.  This will not sail with a bent balcony that looks like it does.  Yellow caution tape to block off guests is not the image they want to leave you with.  Dont get me wrong, maybe its something they can fix quickly but it looks very bad to me. My guess is that Oasis does not sail with any cosmetic damage.  I am truly hoping that they get it fixed ASAP so the nobody is effected but those pictures are nasty.

Who knows whats going on below the water line.  To send off all the crew members to the states is another indication this may be a while.

Freedom sailed with fire damage around the stack for a few cruises until they got it fixed.  And, as I said, I doubt very seriously that the crew were sent to the US, as there is a serious visa problem if they do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

And read my post after that.  

It appears you were posting at the same time.....but 'colleagues with clients'? Sorry but I don't know who you are and therefore who your colleagues would be.

Perhaps if you're a TA it would have helped to say that and therefore have been less obtuse

8 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Lisnave's old yard in Lisbon had an immense drydock capable of handling a million gross ton vessel, but I don't believe that is operational anymore.

Many thanks dear @chengkp75 for your wonderful participation on those boards!

Lisnave shipyards in Lisbon were abandoned 19 years ago when the firm went nearly bankrupt, but even if it was operational now I believe it would to be useless for an Oasis class ship, because most likely such a ship could not go below the "25 of April" bridge.

Though they retain in the company the old Setenave Shipyards in Setúbal (some 100 miles south of Lisbon) where currently they are extremely well succeed on the cargo ship maintenance business. 1 of the 2 berths there is surely Oasis class capable... But they might to be full booked for the year long as far as I imagine!

Have a nice day!

2 minutes ago, Bobal said:

It appears you were posting at the same time.....but 'colleagues with clients'? Sorry but I don't know who you are and therefore who your colleagues would be.

Perhaps if you're a TA it would have helped to say that and therefore have been less obtuse

Or you could have waited a few minutes before going off and calling out someone.  

• Like 6