Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

2 minutes ago, princesslondon said:

Any thoughts on those of us on the 4/14 sailing being pro-active and trying to switch to the Symphony now? Or will they just say we have to wait and see. We have 5 rooms booked and it's our Spring Break so we can't change dates. 

They won't move you without the normal fees which at this point is likely 100%.  You need to wait it out for the offer to come.  

5 minutes ago, scooby1 said:

Video of the Aqua theatre. 

Think they might just need to remove that before the next voyage. ☺️

Honestly the damage doesn't look terrible, although, it would appear that 2 floors aft of the ship would need to be cordoned off and a balcony area (which I think that is part of the rock wall platform) would be closed. Otherwise it looks like the AquaTheater itself took the brunt of any damage. I wonder if they have the ability to repair the railings on site?

4 minutes ago, princesslondon said:

Any thoughts on those of us on the 4/14 sailing being pro-active and trying to switch to the Symphony now? Or will they just say we have to wait and see. We have 5 rooms booked and it's our Spring Break so we can't change dates. 

I would try calling Royal and put a 24hr hold on 5 Symphony cabins. Then you are protected either way. The call center will be a madhouse after the 5pm press conference if they cancel cruises.

6 minutes ago, princesslondon said:

I would call and ask, can't hurt.  There is supposedly a news conference later, if you can get things changed before any announcements, you will have a better chance at getting cabins.

1 minute ago, Beachammo said:

I would try calling Royal and put a 24hr hold on 5 Symphony cabins. Then you are protected either way. The call center will be a madhouse after the 5pm press conference if they cancel cruises.

Going to try that now, thank you!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ezelaya said:

Honestly the damage doesn't look terrible, although, it would appear that 2 floors aft of the ship would need to be cordoned off and a balcony area (which I think that is part of the rock wall platform) would be closed. Otherwise it looks like the AquaTheater itself took the brunt of any damage. I wonder if they have the ability to repair the railings on site?

The Aqua theatre does look bad.  I would think they would just close it and fix it when they go to Spain for the big dry dock?   I was under the impression that the Bahamas just did basic maintenance.  Not sure but who knows at this point.

4 minutes ago, ezelaya said:

Have you seen any shows in that theater?  I would be concerned about the pool and all the lifts.

1 minute ago, torpeedo said:

Try to get price protection if they will do it.

Royal won't do Any price protection until after the Oasis has been officially canceled. If they do cancel......you have 5 cabins on hold to price protect.

Edited by Beachammo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, torpeedo said:

The Aqua theatre does look bad.  I would think they would just close it and fix it when they go to Spain for the big dry dock?   I was under the impression that the Bahamas just did basic maintenance.  Not sure but who knows at this point.

Actually, no shipyard, whether Grand Bahamas, or the yard in Cadiz where she is going for the major hotel side overhaul, does this kind of work.  Most of the "appointments" that passengers see are installed by sub-contractors brought in for the specific job.  The problem is getting material staged where it is needed, when it is needed.

• Like 2

Just now, reallyitsmema said:

Have you seen any shows in that theater?  I would be concerned about the pool and all the lifts.

I have seen the shows and I don't care for them. But overall I think closing the AT and surrounding aft area would be the least impact to the entire cruise. The examples I have used before are when AT closed in 2010 due to a broken lift for 1+ weeks, when Oasis sailed with only 1 Azipod for several months, when Norwegian sailed with a giant gash in its hull after striking a dock etc. If the damage can be cleaned up and cordoned off without impacting the sailing of the vessel, it seems most cruises would rather do that than risk losing MILLIONS (my favorite word today obviously). RCCL has also changed their tune on Twitter. They were previously telling people "we have no updates" but now they are telling people "We have no changed planned for upcoming cruises". 

Curious if the Med itinerary has any high speed legs like some Eastern Caribbean Oasis itineraries do.

Also curious how far work progressed in the cofferdams before the event.  The video from James Van Fleet in the morning several hours prior to the event does so workers in both cofferdams.  If they had loosened the azipod housing seal and then sea water flooded in would that be an issue?

1 minute ago, ezelaya said:

I have seen the shows and I don't care for them. But overall I think closing the AT and surrounding aft area would be the least impact to the entire cruise. The examples I have used before are when AT closed in 2010 due to a broken lift for 1+ weeks, when Oasis sailed with only 1 Azipod for several months, when Norwegian sailed with a giant gash in its hull after striking a dock etc. If the damage can be cleaned up and cordoned off without impacting the sailing of the vessel, it seems most cruises would rather do that than risk losing MILLIONS (my favorite word today obviously). RCCL has also changed their tune on Twitter. They were previously telling people "we have no updates" but now they are telling people "We have no changed planned for upcoming cruises". 

A broken lift due to a mechanical failure is different than a damaged aqua theater pool and lift system from an impact of a foreign object.  Time will tell...

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

Curious if the Med itinerary has any high speed legs like some Eastern Caribbean Oasis itineraries do.

Also curious how far work progressed in the cofferdams before the event.  The video from James Van Fleet in the morning several hours prior to the event does so workers in both cofferdams.  If they had loosened the azipod housing seal and then sea water flooded in would that be an issue?

The accident happened around 145PM local time. James Van Fleet had posted his video way earlier in the morning, and the ship arrived on the 31st in Freeport. It appears they were just starting to lift the ship prior to this happening, which would make me assume that nothing major had been done yet. 

Which ones are the high speed legs in eastern Caribbean?

20 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Nothing yet, maybe some info after the 5pm news conference.

Host Clarea, for those of us across the pond, do you know which time zone the 5pm announcement will be conducted in? If not the east coast it'll be extremely late for us here in the UK and even later for my European friends.

34 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Amazing...how does one say something a million times yet only have eight posts to their name???

And in under 2 hours.  

They must be reeeeaaallllllyyy long posts and they can type really fast. 😃

EDIT: Sorry EZELAYA, I made a joke your expense before  I saw it was tounge-in-cheek. 

That'll teach me to read all before being a wise-a**

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ShillyShally said:

LOL, sorry, and I know I joked to make sure you wouldn't be on our Indy cruise but truly I'd welcome being on board if you were - I know we could share combat stories of single parenting 3 kids, likely in the same years.  You make some of my travel plights seem like a walk in the park!  I'll buy you a soda 🙂 You wear them well 🙂

Agree, bet we have some same Parenting Campaign Medals. Thank you...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, peteukmcr said:

Host Clarea, for those of us across the pond, do you know which time zone the 5pm announcement will be conducted in? If not the east coast it'll be extremely late for us here in the UK and even later for my European friends.

RCCL is based in Miami. Eastern Time. But there is no definitive answer on any update at 5PM. RCCL is still giving mixed responses. 

We had to change the sailing date of our end of July cruise to one that sails over the 4th. of July this summer on the Allure.

This was done before final payment.

The only penalty we incurred was $100 per/person fee.  The trip cost stayed the same.

We kept our OBC.

So we paid $400 for the four of us.

Now after final payment I do not know how the fees would change.

And if I might say due to the nature of this incident on the Oasis, any cruisers affected hopefully are not penalized with any fees by RCI. 

Still hoping she sails as scheduled and all have a safe time.

Safe travels.

8 minutes ago, ezelaya said:

The accident happened around 145PM local time. James Van Fleet had posted his video way earlier in the morning, and the ship arrived on the 31st in Freeport. It appears they were just starting to lift the ship prior to this happening, which would make me assume that nothing major had been done yet. 

The cofferdams were dry in the morning when he took his video, there were workers in them.  The lift was over long before this event.  I assuming work continued in the hours leading up to the event.  

From his video:

1607471246_oacoffer1.jpeg.b1b9f603e89cecbf13c7301e5d71b7a0.jpeg

1372508982_oacoffer2.jpeg.a908509eeee3545e02bc77e367567597.jpeg

15 minutes ago, ezelaya said:

I have seen the shows and I don't care for them. But overall I think closing the AT and surrounding aft area would be the least impact to the entire cruise. 

Yep, hangup some yellow caution tape and 'excuse our mess' signs and all is well for Sunday. Maybe some pixie dust from the DIS boards will help...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, peteukmcr said:

Pete, I've worked out it will be 10pm