Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

4 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

It looks like the Caribbean Princess has arrived in Freeport for some work but it did not go to either of the dry docks but went to the spot where the Oasis went after it was removed from dry dock 2.  Perhaps this suggests that dry dock 3 can't handle ships that size and the shipyard needs to find a plan B.  I wonder if the plan will be to do all of the above water dry docks on ships and then find another location later to do all of the below water work.   Since it seems that much of the below water propulsion work can be done in a week, can they do the other below water repairs and painting in a week?

That "beach wharf" is the same spot were Navigator had it's refresh in January.  Dry docks are used only to perform work on the hull of the ship below the waterline when that work can't be performed by divers in the water.  Any other work inside the vessel would not likely require a dry hull.  Engines can be overhauled, guest areas can receive TLC without using a dry dock.  

Caribbean Princess appears to have had a full dry dock in 2017.  For 2019 they plan to refresh the pool deck.  This work would not require a dry dock but instead like Navigator this work can be performed while the ship is wet at the beach wharf.

If she also needs work done below the waterline she would use a dry dock only for that specific work and then they'll move her out to finish any guest area work while another ship uses the dry dock.  Dry docks are too valuable to leave a ship in them for unrelated work in guest areas.  

Edited by twangster

1 hour ago, twangster said:

If she also needs work done below the waterline

She well might, she has been dealing with a propulsion issue for the last 18 months (I think) and requires a large opening to be cut in her hull to replace a motor.

Caribbean Princess appears to have had a full dry dock in 2017.  For 2019 they plan to refresh the pool deck.  This work would not require a dry dock but instead like Navigator this work can be performed while the ship is wet at the beach wharf.

I don't follow the Princess ships very closely,  but there must be some sort of significant issue to require a long service period in the shipyard.  It looks to me that the Caribbean Princess will be out of service for month.

11 hours ago, baldilocks said:

We will have to wait for the investigation to know what actually happened. None of us was there, so we can only speculate about the root cause.

Pretty much what we do here. 

Speculate, pontificate, and berate. With some technical knowledge thrown in for good measure. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, hallux said:

She well might, she has been dealing with a propulsion issue for the last 18 months (I think) and requires a large opening to be cut in her hull to replace a motor.

Dry dock 3 is 310m long, 54.6m wide and can accommodate drafts up to 8.5m.  At quick glance she can fit into dry dock 3 if her weight is okay.  

Just now, ipeeinthepool said:

I don't follow the Princess ships very closely,  but there must be some sort of significant issue to require a long service period in the shipyard.  It looks to me that the Caribbean Princess will be out of service for month.

They have a pretty significant pool deck refresh in the works.  New splash zone, kids areas, water guns, etc.  

The pool deck refresh can take place outside of dry dock.  

As of 10am Eastern she was located at 30.64875 / -27.12696 about 1097 nautical miles from Cadiz making 17.3 knots traveling due east. That would get her there early morning on the 17th, assuming she heads directly to Cadiz and does not slow down. 

3 hours ago, twangster said:

That "beach wharf" is the same spot were Navigator had it's refresh in January.  Dry docks are used only to perform work on the hull of the ship below the waterline when that work can't be performed by divers in the water.  Any other work inside the vessel would not likely require a dry hull.  Engines can be overhauled, guest areas can receive TLC without using a dry dock.  

If she also needs work done below the waterline she would use a dry dock only for that specific work and then they'll move her out to finish any guest area work while another ship uses the dry dock.  Dry docks are too valuable to leave a ship in them for unrelated work in guest areas.  

Also keep in mind that the Caribbean Princess inaugural cruise was 4 Apr 2004.  They have to periodically be inspected below the waterline.  Initially this can be done by divers, but there comes a time when they have to pull the ship out of the water to do the inspections in a dry state.  This in irrespective of painting the bottom and other revitalization efforts.

Has anyone on the May 5 sailing heard from RCCL? I read that they did receive an email letter and were supposed to be updated on Friday, April 12. Just wondering because we are on the May 12 sailing and still waiting for our luggage tags to be processed:(

14 minutes ago, ptf2009 said:

Has anyone on the May 5 sailing heard from RCCL? I read that they did receive an email letter and were supposed to be updated on Friday, April 12. Just wondering because we are on the May 12 sailing and still waiting for our luggage tags to be processed:(

Strange you haven't seen anything yet.  We got all our cruise edocs for our 5/26 sailing earlier this week.  Did you check your account online?  

Can we move all the conversation about topics other than Oasis and this specific issue to another thread?  I'd like to keep up with what is happening relative to the drydock accident and the trip to Cadiz as it relates to getting her back in service without having to wade through post after post of OT stuff.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ptf2009 said:

I posted the update when we got it on the 12th. Just look back 2 pages. Didn't say much and another update will be coming on the 23rd. Our luggage tags are available.

Edited by CARALOU20
Added Info

2 hours ago, Hootss said:

Can we move all the conversation about topics other than Oasis and this specific issue to another thread?  I'd like to keep up with what is happening relative to the drydock accident and the trip to Cadiz as it relates to getting her back in service without having to wade through post after post of OT stuff.  

Always good to get advice from someone new to CC.  Perhaps your items of interest belong in your roll call

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hootss said:

Caribbean Princess is in the GB shipyard right now.  If they only complete the work above the waterline and set her loose with her propulsion issues unfixed that will be strong indicator of the impact to the shipyard and future visits from other ships. 

I'd say that makes it relevant to the accident and the ship yard in general.  Especially with Allure's propulsion issue at present.  

Edited by twangster

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

Caribbean Princess is in the GB shipyard right now.  If they only complete the work above the waterline and set her loose with her propulsion issues unfixed that will be strong indicator of the impact to the shipyard and future visits from other ships. 

I'd say that makes it relevant to the accident and the ship yard in general.  Especially with Allure's propulsion issue at present.  

Yep. I agree.

Especially with Allure's propulsion issue at present.

I have to wonder if there really is a propulsion issue or if they've taken a preventative step to reduce wear on the units until they can get her into a dock to do the bearing swap...

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Always good to get advice from someone new to CC.  Perhaps your items of interest belong in your roll call

Not offering advice at all.  Just asking for some consideration. And thanks for making me feel (not) welcome in your pool, lol

Not arguing your specific posts

I think it is pretty clear RCCL needs a larger drydock on the Atlantic side of North America.  Since they own 40% of GB ship yard that is were is needs to be.  The only question is how to do it.    Since you can use the dock for every ship smaller it would seem like there wil be plenty of business for it. 

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Oh, I now see you are a real old timer around here as well.  Good to get "advice" from such a grizzled veteran of the boards.  

Edited by Hootss

5 hours ago, Hootss said:

CC is all about wading through posts. If the moderators think it’s far off topic they will steer it back in the right direction.  Welcome to CC.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1