New Pricing Bundles or Non-Refundable: Your Thoughts!

Lastdance

Personally, I think that whether a deal is exciting, wonderful or not to be missed, or depends on the individual looking at it, after doing some research.  The huge issue with Edge began with its advertising and photos, especially regarding some veranda furniture...sometimes it feels like the "game" is not always worth playing, especially with so many changes, but then again, some of us really enjoy a challenge or two.  I have been keeping a notebook, so I can really be in the know instead of fall for any of their gimmicks...

Edited by Lastdance

8 hours ago, cantstopingcruising said:

Thankfully, we are booked for next year's cruises.

I don't want to book any non-refundable cruises and the refundable are substantially more expensive. They are much more that the value of the perks.

If this continues into the future, my Celebrity days may come to an end.

I checked a few cruises, but I have not booked one under this new format.  

The few I checked were very reasonable on a per day cost for the two perks.  $25-$40 per day per person.

8 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

DH  and I booked a cruise for next year back in February.  It was the first (and maybe last) time we booked a nonrefundable. We immediately bought insurance to protect ourselves. The cruise was planned to celebrate a very special (at this point they're all special)  milestone anniversary.  We booked the nonrefundable through our TA, who at the time was offering all 4 perks, and 10% back in OBC (on Reflection  not Edge). Because of the special anniversary combined with the deal, it was too good to pass up despite the nonrefundable deposit,  but we won't come across the same circumstances again most likely. The new pricing has seen the cruise fare jump $1500 (for 2) with 2 less perks and the TA is no longer offering 10% back in OBC.  That makes the difference in the cruise fare and  included "perks" and OBC

almost $3000 more now than 2 months ago. We've cruised X for many years  and have monitored pricing regularly  (read that "almost daily ")  and have never before seen such a huge jump in fare this far out from the sailing date.  If this trend continues, which it looks like it very well may, we along with many others, may be departing X for other vacation options. Happily the world is full of options. 

IMO your TA is just being mean.  Why would they previously offer you a TA OBC (comes from their commission) and now they will not.  I have not read anything saying the the TA commissions are being reduced with this new pricing program.

You might want to check with another TA before you make you final decision.  8% OBC sounds about right, but not 0%.

Perhaps the increase in the cruise price that you are seeing is due more to Supply and Demand than the new pricing model.

Edited by jagoffee

29 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I checked a few cruises, but I have not booked one under this new format.  

The few I checked were very reasonable on a per day cost for the two perks.  $25-$40 per day per person.

IMO your TA is just being mean.  Why would they previously offer you a TA OBC (comes from their commission) and now they will not.  I have not read anything saying the the TA commissions are being reduced with this new pricing program.

You might want to check with another TA before you make you final decision.  8% OBC sounds about right, but not 0%.

Perhaps the increase in the cruise price that you are seeing is due more to Supply and Demand than the new pricing model.

You misunderstood. We booked on Feb 4 for $2249 for an A1 hump balcony with all 4 perks and an additional 10% a + a loyalty OBC from our TA (in addition to X's $300 OBC that's part of the 4 perks). Today on the TA's website, the same A1 category cabin is the increase that I noted above) shows the costs per person as $3649 pp with 4 perks and refundable deposit. The costs I quoted above on the new pricing were taken from X's site and included only 2 perks.

4 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

You misunderstood. We booked on Feb 4 for $2249 for an A1 hump balcony with all 4 perks and an additional 10% a + a loyalty OBC from our TA (in addition to X's $300 OBC that's part of the 4 perks). Today on the TA's website, the same A1 category cabin is the increase that I noted above) shows the costs per person as $3649 pp with 4 perks and refundable deposit. The costs I quoted above on the new pricing were taken from X's site and included only 2 perks.

I was responding to your comment that “the TA is no longer offering 10% back in OBC“.  As you said, I may have misunderstood what this meant.

I fully understand that your cruise is now more expensive.

24 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I was responding to your comment that “the TA is no longer offering 10% back in OBC“.  As you said, I may have misunderstood what this meant.

I fully understand that your cruise is now more expensive.

Just for clarification, the TA is offering more than X at a slightly lower rate, but are no longer offering 10% of the cruise fare.

I've been watching prices on our upcoming cruises in Royal Suites.  Earlier this week Celebrity dropped the low price, no perks, non refundable deposit from these suites.  The pricing is back to the old way with all 4 perks included, even though 2 of them come with the Royal Suites.

59 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I've been watching prices on our upcoming cruises in Royal Suites.  Earlier this week Celebrity dropped the low price, no perks, non refundable deposit from these suites.  The pricing is back to the old way with all 4 perks included, even though 2 of them come with the Royal Suites.

All suites get all four perks included on every voyage.

1 hour ago, DrKoob said:

Yes, but when the new pricing strategy started last week there were about 7 days where that did not happen. They were priced with no perks and non refundable deposit or 4 perks.  

2 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Yes, but when the new pricing strategy started last week there were about 7 days where that did not happen. They were priced with no perks and non refundable deposit or 4 perks.  

I think that may have been a case of "The IT department strikes again!"

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Call you TA and have them rebook it! 

1 minute ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Thanks for the advice but we have had the 3 bookings for months now, just checking prices.  We don't use a TA.

I fully realize by the amount of posts you have that you are a seasoned cruiser...but so are we and we wouldn't think of not using a TA. Why wouldn't you? It doesn't cost a penny more than not using one. Any TA can get you any deal that you can get with the cruise line. I am always interested in why people don't book with travel agents. They do all this kind of work for you. You just find one you trust (had the same one for 20 years) and let them deal with the cruise lines for you. 

By the way, the amount of time you have had the booking does not matter as long as you haven't made final payment. You can still rebook it.

Jim

Yes, we've cruised 20 times with Celebrity. I know the advantages of using a TA but prefer to be in charge of my own booking (I'm probably a control freak). I also had a bad experience with a TA on our 1st cruise when they did not pay Celebrity and we almost lost the cruise.  We did lose a prime cabin location. 

Two of the cruises we are booked on have not gone down in price since booking. We just saved another $600 on Novembers cruise.  The low rate was only for one day and I suspect it was Celebrity's IT department at its best, which in this instance benefitted us.

• Thanks 1

On 4/10/2019 at 1:10 PM, bkbarrym said:

If you don't mind me asking what was the cost for that insurance and what were the conditions allowed (i.e. standard/ typical conditions or for any reason)?

It was $111 for the $900, which has to do with age too!  Cancel for any reason with a 75% pay out or medical conditions at 100%...also, very good medical, as this is for Europe...

Edited by Lastdance

On 4/8/2019 at 10:53 PM, grandgeezer said:

Check out the May, 7 day cruises to Alaska on the Solstice, it is running $50 to $70 p.p. per day range for the two perks.

Sorry dont see a May 7th, May 10th is only because its an exciting deal and not the regular NRD price structure

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, DrKoob said:

By the way, the amount of time you have had the booking does not matter as long as you haven't made final payment. You can still rebook it.

Jim

Just to clarify, you can rebook at any time up to your official final payment date - even if you chose to make your final payment earlier.

11 minutes ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Just to clarify, you can rebook at any time up to your official final payment date - even if you chose to make your final payment earlier.

That's what I meant because I can never see a reason for anyone making a final payment far before it is due.🤔

On 4/11/2019 at 7:31 AM, DrKoob said:

23 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Look at the May 10, 2019 sailing of Solstice. There's a cat W suite guarantee for $1399. If you do a mock booking on the =X= website and select that fare, it then asks if you if you want to add the 4 perks (internet, drink package, gratuities and OBC), you then pay $2099. If you just stick with the $1399 rate, you're only guaranteed  Luminae and the Retreat Lounge amenities if assigned a SS or CS. 

I have found this to be the case on most all sailings, both before and after the pricing change last week. We tend to look at close-in sailings (after final payment date) when senior, resident and/or Exciting deals pop up. If you book any of these rates in SS or CS, they do not come with the 4 perks. The only difference is RS/PS which also gives you the drink package, laundry, internet and complimentary specialty restaurant dining as they are stateroom amenities. These rates do not come with $300 OBC and/or gratuities whether in SS, CS, RS or PS.

Edited by BEAV

On 4/5/2019 at 11:45 PM, Oville said:

You have taken the OP’s thread way off topic. Enjoy your Toyota on Oceania, we’ll enjoy our Lexus on Celebrity.

Lastdance, enjoy your Lexus on Edge, it’s a great cabin.😉

@Oville, You have just helped me finalize a decision I have been pondering. Everything you have written that you  like (or dislike) about Oceania, mirror my likes/dislikes. A friend, whose opinion I trust, sailed Oceania recently, and raved about it.  I have a very nice B3 cabin with an oversized balcony booked on Riviera in November. Important to know I am a solo traveler. I have done some research and now realize that, for the same amount of money, I could be in a Sky Suite, same # of days, with all four perks, similar itinerary.  Beverage packages on Oceania are either wine/beer at lunch and dinner only, or whatever/wherever for $60 per day. Hummm. I can book Celebrity with two perks in Aqua or all four perks in a Sky Suite for less money, when you add the perks. For a couple of other reasons, not directly related to cruising, I am  losing interest in this cruise.  

And,  yes I drive  a Lexus!😉

• Like 1

On 4/7/2019 at 9:00 AM, villauk said:

I don’t book multiple cruises during the same timeframe and I book in the US because it’s far more flexible than over here. However, now I have an issue under the new programme as I book two cabins: a balcony with perks for my DH and myself and an inside for the kids without perks (the TA OBC pays for their gratuities). This means that now one booking is refundable and one is not! Additionally, as I said before the new inception, all that will happen with the ‘Sail Only’ price is that it will be lower but not that low to be cost effective not to take it without the 2 perks. Resulting in price increases and being forced to take the 2 option ‘perks’ without really needing them.

Hi Villauk

Could you email the name of the American TA you use (there are so many, would like to choose one that someone in the UK has experience with).  My email address is dianamaymeldrum@googlemail.com

Thank you.