Rotterdam -- no more pastries?

1 hour ago, mudscraper said:

We got off the Rotterdam last Sunday.  We ate breakfast in the MDR only once and they did not serve pastries.  They were serving pastries in the Pinnacle for breakfast.

I heard the Danish want more $$ for their use in the MDR and are protesting.........

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

We were on the rotterdam the week of the 24th and they had lots of pastries in the Lido.  They had a special pastry of the day that were different and good.  I know at lunch asked for the breadbasket and butter.  When talking to others, they said you had to ask for a pastry basket in the morning and you would get an assortment.

The raisin buns are still the best.

There was no waste with the pastry service, but it did require kore crew. I do hope that these servers are now making the MDR breakfast service quicker as it could be painfully slow sometimes.

2 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Thank you everyone.

Wonder how long this will be before it becomes fleet wide?

Hi KK!!!!

Just got off Eurodam and got home! Will be on her in less than a year and I will be bummed if that will happen! I noticed a lot of cut backs on our 28 day cruise

with Eurodam but all in all a nice relaxing cruise. 

Have a great day!

Denise😊

I really don’t think we should worry about 2nd hand info that WCB “heard”.

I could be wrong and hope I’m not, but pastries abound on HAL.  Maybe someone didn’t see / get the tray offered and didn’t ask?  Just a thought.

2 hours ago, GRACECRUISE said:

We were on the rotterdam the week of the 24th and they had lots of pastries in the Lido.  They had a special pastry of the day that were different and good.  I know at lunch asked for the breadbasket and butter.  When talking to others, they said you had to ask for a pastry basket in the morning and you would get an assortment.

The raisin buns are still the best.

2 hours ago, Despegue said:

There was no waste with the pastry service, but it did require kore crew. I do hope that these servers are now making the MDR breakfast service quicker as it could be painfully slow sometimes.

So now you have to ask for a BASKET of pastries, instead of asking for one from the service tray? The basket approach is likely to result in wasted pastries. So, HAL, do you want to reduce wasted food or not? 🙄

• Like 3

Is this just with regards to serving pastries in the MDR or does this also include other items such as blueberry and chocolate muffins? Is so, I guess we're eating breakfast in the MDR is out, especially if this policy goes fleet-wide as we will be on  the Maasdam for 40 days in October. Maybe they're doing this to get more folks to sign up for Club Orange?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Is this just with regards to serving pastries in the MDR or does this also include other items such as blueberry and chocolate muffins? Is so, I guess we're eating breakfast in the MDR is out, especially if this policy goes fleet-wide as we will be on  the Maasdam for 40 days in October. Maybe they're doing this to get more folks to sign up for Club Orange?

You'll find your assorted blueberry and chocolate muffins on your breakfast menu in the MDR

• Like 1

I think perhaps this is referring to the pastries that are traditionally offered when one is seated for breakfast in the dining room.  As I recall they were not passed on the Noordam at the end of the Alaska season last year.  I did ask and the server came to our table.  Coffee and pastries are the traditional welcome for breakfast in the dining room.  Ask for them...otherwise this tradition will go away, too!

6 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

You'll find your assorted blueberry and chocolate muffins on your breakfast menu in the MDR

Copper, this is off the topic but would you know why HAL only does two ports in Cuba (Cienfuegos and Havana).  I was looking at another cruise line and they also include Santiago de Cuba.  Do you know if HAL will expand their Cuban itinerary?

1 minute ago, Sue from Canada said:

Copper, this is off the topic but would you know why HAL only does two ports in Cuba (Cienfuegos and Havana).  I was looking at another cruise line and they also include Santiago de Cuba.  Do you know if HAL will expand their Cuban itinerary?

Hi Sue and No, I don't know why only two Cuban ports. I do know itineraries are picked more than a year in advance by Seattle

9 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

Not  Copper but HAL Cuban itineraries are poor.  

Definitely look around for more ports and overnights so you can take in the evening cultural shows.  

18 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

I think perhaps this is referring to the pastries that are traditionally offered when one is seated for breakfast in the dining room.  As I recall they were not passed on the Noordam at the end of the Alaska season last year.  I did ask and the server came to our table.  Coffee and pastries are the traditional welcome for breakfast in the dining room.  Ask for them...otherwise this tradition will go away, too!

We experienced the same serving on our recent N. Amsterdam cruise last month. The pastries were not offered as we were seated but if you asked a tray was brought to you to make your selection. The chocolate and blueberry muffins were also on the tray.