FLL Late Arrival - Fastest Ground Transportation to Hotel

lindalo5032

We will be arriving FLL at 10:00 p.m. on a Sunday night.  After hearing about poor taxi experiences at FLL, I had thought about using Uber to get us to Embassy Suites on 17th Street.  But on second thought, wouldn't it be faster just to take a cab?   I understand Uber has a parking area where they have to wait and then come pick you up after getting your order.  At that late hour, we will all just want to get to the hotel as quickly as possible.  We are a party of 8.  Would there be taxi vans available or would we have to take 2-3 taxis? 

Perhaps a taxi is several minutes quicker.  You would probably need to take several taxis....I don't recall seeing many taxi vans at the airport.  At 10PM there will be many Uber drivers ready to take your party or at least parts of your party.  Uber drivers are usually friendlier and the vehicles cleaner IMO.  ES is maybe 10 minutes away.  Our experience with cab drivers at FLL are sour so maybe I am just partial to anything but taxis.  

I agree taxi is the best choice. As to van/SUV taxis, there are some, but just how many will be available at that hour is another topic. You may need to split up a little. A van or SUV might be able to carry 8, but probably not with the baggage you will bring.

• Like 2

I would also recommend a taxi in this situation, it'll just be quicker to get into a car and to get going. My last time into FLL I took an Uber to my hotel, and from the time I walked out of the terminal to the ride-share queue area to wait for my Uber and then for my Uber, it took at least 20-25 minutes. Full disclosure, this was mid-afternoon and there was lots of traffic. At 10pm, I'd expect it to be a little quieter, but at 10pm I would rather just get to my hotel and settle in for the night. While I normally prefer Uber/Lyft, my taxi experiences at FLL have been fine, nothing awful.

With a group of 8, you'll need multiple taxis; 3 cars or 2 vans (I don't think 4 people + luggage in one taxi would be comfortable, that's why I say 3 cars). I've never seen a van taxi that could accommodate 8 people unless it was a pre-arranged shuttle.

Thank you all for your responses!  I'm thinking, for a 10 minute ride, how bad can a taxi be?  So, if we end up having to take 3 taxis, would it be about $12 per taxi to get from FLL to Embassy Suites on 17th Street?  DH & I are paying for our family group, and I will need to figure out how much $$ to hand out for each taxi. 

Edited by lindalo5032

On 4/18/2019 at 7:19 AM, lab_love123 said:

I would also recommend a taxi in this situation, it'll just be quicker to get into a car and to get going. My last time into FLL I took an Uber to my hotel, and from the time I walked out of the terminal to the ride-share queue area to wait for my Uber and then for my Uber, it took at least 20-25 minutes. Full disclosure, this was mid-afternoon and there was lots of traffic. At 10pm, I'd expect it to be a little quieter, but at 10pm I would rather just get to my hotel and settle in for the night. While I normally prefer Uber/Lyft, my taxi experiences at FLL have been fine, nothing awful.

With a group of 8, you'll need multiple taxis; 3 cars or 2 vans (I don't think 4 people + luggage in one taxi would be comfortable, that's why I say 3 cars). I've never seen a van taxi that could accommodate 8 people unless it was a pre-arranged shuttle.

10PM is often a mad house at FLL. I can't remember if Sunday is crazy though. But our family usually arrives around 10 and I pick them up, got to the point that they walk up to departures because the arrivals loop is like a parking lot. 

Funny enough, picking up someone this Sunday around 10:30, if I remember this thread I'll be happy to report back. 

4 hours ago, BNBR said:

got to the point that they walk up to departures because the arrivals loop is like a parking lot. 

We always do the same!  Even if our visitors have checked luggage, it is easier for them to take the elevator up to the departures level than us maneuvering through the traffic - much of it clueless - on the arrivals level.

1 minute ago, capriccio said:

We always do the same!  Even if our visitors have checked luggage, it is easier for them to take the elevator up to the departures level than us maneuvering through the traffic - much of it clueless - on the arrivals level.

And it's only getting worse.  The days of FLL being the small accessible airport is long gone.  I'm not sure what their plans are to solve the traffic issues, there is no space to expand the loop or widen it.  Total lack of infrastructure for international flights.  Such a disaster.  I really dislike FLL for the most part, it's one of the worst and most mismanaged airports we go to by far. 

On 4/19/2019 at 2:12 PM, lindalo5032 said:

That would be great!  Thank you so much!

Ended up picking up at 11:20, total disaster as usual.  Went to arrivals as the person I was picking up wasn't familiar with the airport. Terminals 1 and 2 were like a parking lot.  Took 20+ minutes just to get past there.

The cab line looked a bit long.  But also the line of cabs entering was long so lots of them.  The Uber pickup between 3 and 4 looked smooth and between 2 and 3 a disaster zone. 

Which airline are you flying? 

I think cab should be best bet, especially if you aren't familiar with Uber. And the Uber drivers have to sit in that parking lot, too.  And their waiting area is far away. I imagine Uber pickup time is quite long. 

Cab is probably your best option. 

Edited by BNBR

7 hours ago, BNBR said:

Ended up picking up at 11:20, total disaster as usual.  Went to arrivals as the person I was picking up wasn't familiar with the airport. Terminals 1 and 2 were like a parking lot.  Took 20+ minutes just to get past there.

The cab line looked a bit long.  But also the line of cabs entering was long so lots of them.  The Uber pickup between 3 and 4 looked smooth and between 2 and 3 a disaster zone. 

Which airline are you flying? 

I think cab should be best bet, especially if you aren't familiar with Uber. And the Uber drivers have to sit in that parking lot, too.  And their waiting area is far away. I imagine Uber pickup time is quite long. 

Cab is probably your best option. 

Thank you SO MUCH for coming back and posting!  I dread the chaos, but at least we will know ahead of time what we will be faced with.  Our little airport at OKC always looks (relatively) empty, especially late at night, so I just assumed most airports are less busy late at night.  Looks like I was really wrong about that!

I agree, it sounds like cabs are the best option.  I'm really hoping 8 of us can fit in 2 cabs, but if we have to take 3, then so be it. 

We are arriving on United Airlines. 

Thanks again for taking the time to post.  I realize it has been a LONG day for you!! 

1 minute ago, lindalo5032 said:

Thank you SO MUCH for coming back and posting!  I dread the chaos, but at least we will know ahead of time what we will be faced with.  Our little airport at OKC always looks (relatively) empty, especially late at night, so I just assumed most airports are less busy late at night.  Looks like I was really wrong about that!

I agree, it sounds like cabs are the best option.  I'm really hoping 8 of us can fit in 2 cabs, but if we have to take 3, then so be it. 

We are arriving on United Airlines. 

Thanks again for taking the time to post.  I realize it has been a LONG day for you!! 

The line for cabs is well marked and managed. It won't be chaotic for you. Don't stress it. Just walk over and hop in line for a cab.  

On 4/18/2019 at 5:54 PM, CruiserBruce said:

It will be between 13 and 15 dollars, before tip.

Maybe we were 'conned' .... when we arrived at FLL and took a taxi to Embassy Suites late evening two years ago, (after a flight delay) we were charged $20 plus tip.

16 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

United Airlines uses Terminal 1 at Fort Lauderdale, I believe.  The "far end" as you enter the horseshoe roadway loop.

Terminal 1, Concourse C so that means for both arrivals and departures it is the first terminal on both levels of the loop road with the drop off and pick up door located at the end of the first terminal building.  http://www.broward.org/Airport/passengers/Flights/Pages/WhereIsMyAirline.aspx.

8 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Maybe we were 'conned' .... when we arrived at FLL and took a taxi to Embassy Suites late evening two years ago, (after a flight delay) we were charged $20 plus tip.

Sorry to say,  but you were taken. We have done this taxi trip 3 times in the last 4 years, and it has never cost more than $14 before tip.