Free at sea internet upgrade

Corycor

We got the free at sea which has 250 minutes of internet but I’m not sure that will last the full week between the full family. I asked my TA and NCL but she said it wasn’t possible to upgrade and pay the difference so I accepted it at face value until I came across an old literature stating otherwise. 

My question is has anyone had any experience with this of late and we’re they able to upgrade to unlimited WiFi? 

Looks like this was take a year ago in the bliss. 

57C2FD0D-6783-49A5-8D71-159C93EE2DD2.jpeg

The offer and options to upgrade is available once onboard and logged into the ship's WiFi inTRAnet system, and can be done easily DIY via the app or browser.   Not as a pre-cruise option.  

Prices are subject to change, without notice, given NCL's "proven" track records ... 

• Thanks 1

We Just got off the Star this past Saturday.  The internet manager was giving a $60 credit towards the unlimited plan for each free 250 minute plan you had.  We had 2 of them (one through the free perks and one from the distinctive voyage package that was available at the time we booked).   

Having said that while on the cruise I browsed on cruise critic and noticed that on another thread someone had just got off the Jade (or maybe the Jewel, cannot recall) and they got $125 credit for their 250 minutes.

It seems that each ship does it’s own thing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was on the Star last month.  I paid $119 on the second day to upgrade 250 min plan to unlimited wifi (not premium).  I was given the option to upgrade when online.  No need to go to the internet desk.  

5 hours ago, Corycor said:

We got the free at sea which has 250 minutes of internet but I’m not sure that will last the full week between the full family. I asked my TA and NCL but she said it wasn’t possible to upgrade and pay the difference so I accepted it at face value until I came across an old literature stating otherwise. 

My question is has anyone had any experience with this of late and we’re they able to upgrade to unlimited WiFi? 

Time to get a new Travel Agent.

You can use the 250 minute Free at Sea and upgrade to an unlimited plan. It is credited as $125 (got it two weeks ago). Anything less, go to the internet manager. 

Edited by BirdTravels

To add a little more info... You can upgrade to the unlimited plans up until day 2 of the cruise.  If you wait until day 2 you don't pay for day 1.  For example, on an Escape 7 night cruise recently, it was $29.99/day for the unlimited non streaming wifi plan.  I had the 250 min. perk and was credited $125 towards the unlimited plans when I logged into the app.  Upgrade on day 1 was a net cost of about $85, wait until day 2 to upgrade and the cost was $29.99 less ($55).

I believe this is the same situation if you just purchase the unlimited plans onboard, you pay for the number of nights remaining.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Mike_DeA said:

To add a little more info... You can upgrade to the unlimited plans up until day 2 of the cruise.  If you wait until day 2 you don't pay for day 1.  For example, on an Escape 7 night cruise recently, it was $29.99/day for the unlimited non streaming wifi plan.  I had the 250 min. perk and was credited $125 towards the unlimited plans when I logged into the app.  Upgrade on day 1 was a net cost of about $85, wait until day 2 to upgrade and the cost was $29.99 less ($55).

I believe this is the same situation if you just purchase the unlimited plans onboard, you pay for the number of nights remaining.

Same thing.  I was able to upgrade in the Escape back in Feb for $55 after the first day.  Mention it to the internet manager and (s)he should be able to do the upgrade for you.  Mentioned this in another thread, but I've noticed NCL internet has become a whole lot faster in the last year.  I know I measured about 20mbps down and up (sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less) over the cruises I've taken with NCL the last 12 months, or so.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Same thing.  I was able to upgrade in the Escape back in Feb for $55 after the first day.  Mention it to the internet manager and (s)he should be able to do the upgrade for you.  Mentioned this in another thread, but I've noticed NCL internet has become a whole lot faster in the last year.  I know I measured about 20mbps down and up (sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less) over the cruises I've taken with NCL the last 12 months, or so.

No need to see the internet manager unless you have a problem doing it thru the NCL app.  Just click on the free 250 minute plan to accept and it will then offer you the upgrade options.  The one time I did wait in line for the internet mgr. it took an hour as their hours are limited.

16 minutes ago, Mike_DeA said:

No need to see the internet manager unless you have a problem doing it thru the NCL app.  Just click on the free 250 minute plan to accept and it will then offer you the upgrade options.  The one time I did wait in line for the internet mgr. it took an hour as their hours are limited.

You’re right.  The only reason I went to the internet manager was I waited until the 2nd day to upgrade, and online the price didn’t reflect the lower amount to upgrade.  Could have just been an issue with my account, though.

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

You’re right.  The only reason I went to the internet manager was I waited until the 2nd day to upgrade, and online the price didn’t reflect the lower amount to upgrade.  Could have just been an issue with my account, though.

Ahh makes sense to go see the manager if it's not accurate.  I was on the Escape the week after you and it showed the correct amount when I went into the app to upgrade.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mike_DeA said:

Good to know. I’ll take care of it the first day then. Thanks

On 4/17/2019 at 6:55 PM, Corycor said:

57C2FD0D-6783-49A5-8D71-159C93EE2DD2.jpeg

Yes they let you do it. I've used the unlimited the last 4 cruises and it works well.

• 8 months later...

I will be on the Dawn soon.  I’m hoping to be able to upgrade the 250 to the unlimited on day 2.  I also have 30 min for being platinum.  Hoping to use the 39 mins the first day and upgrade the 250 mins on day 2 you save $30.  

46 minutes ago, Dayana said:

I will be on the Dawn soon.  I’m hoping to be able to upgrade the 250 to the unlimited on day 2.  I also have 30 min for being platinum.  Hoping to use the 39 mins the first day and upgrade the 250 mins on day 2 you save $30.  

Here's a tip/trick - it should work (did - last month on the Gem for us) - upgrade after midnight, ship time as it will be - for billing purposes Day 2 and save the $30.  Just log-in and check the prompt/offered pricing to be sure.  

A little disicipline, stay off ship's WiFi for a few hours - between sailway/out to sea (losing land cellular coverage) dinner & being out and about for the evening - then just don't over that 30+bonus 10 minutes.  It will stop & cutoff the internet connection once it's over the allowance.  

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 4:31 PM, mking8288 said:

Here's a tip/trick - it should work (did - last month on the Gem for us) - upgrade after midnight, ship time as it will be - for billing purposes Day 2 and save the $30.  Just log-in and check the prompt/offered pricing to be sure.  

A little disicipline, stay off ship's WiFi for a few hours - between sailway/out to sea (losing land cellular coverage) dinner & being out and about for the evening - then just don't over that 30+bonus 10 minutes.  It will stop & cutoff the internet connection once it's over the allowance.  

Thank you!!  

• Haha 1

On 4/17/2019 at 8:01 PM, keep on cruisin said:

You cant upgrade until you get on the ship.  Some have reported that you will be offered the upgrade automatically the first time you sign in, other's say go to the internet manager to do it.  Value shouldbe $125 towards the upgrade.

Since this April of 2019 thread was resurrected and people will be reading out dated info........ you are now able to upgrade the promo on line in your Vacation Summary before you board the ship for $84 (unlimited) / $119 (streaming unlimited) per person (7 day trip).   

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2020 at 1:43 AM, esm54687 said:

Since this April of 2019 thread was resurrected and people will be reading out dated info........ you are now able to upgrade the promo on line in your Vacation Summary before you board the ship for $84 (unlimited) / $119 (streaming unlimited) per person (7 day trip).   

My upcoming cruise is 14 days, and I have the 250 promo minutes.  The upgrade offer in my account is $225 for unlimited (without streaming).   They call this a "small" upcharge - LOL!    The offer for 7 days is a better deal.

I would be interested to know what the upgrade cost would be if I waited to do it on board, either on the first or second day.  Is there a discount for paying in advance online?   Is the credit for the promo the same?  Can anyone recently on a 14-day itinerary provide any information?

I also have 30 free Latitudes minutes, and if I pay in advance I essentially lose the benefit of those minutes.  Not a big deal, and I still may decide to pay in advance, but it is a factor, as I could use those minutes and the promo minutes the first day and then upgrade on the 2nd day, saving one day of the upgrade cost. 

NCL doesn't go for simple, transparent pricing, do they?  

Edited by Joanne G.

26 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

My upcoming cruise is 14 days, and I have the 250 promo minutes.  The upgrade offer in my account is $225 for unlimited (without streaming).   They call this a "small" upcharge  ... NCL doesn't go for simple, transparent pricing, do they?  

Be glad that NCL hasn't raised WiFi prices lately (hush) ... unlike those DSC, just checking ahead for this April's Bliss pricing, so far so good - no changes in the formula. Here's the breakdown, as I read them ...

For longer cruises, sailings over 10 or 1+ days, the daily price for unlimited w/o VPN and streaming is reduced by $5 to $25 a day (all figures rounded tp nearest dollars ... for your convenience) or $25 x 14 days = $350 for all 14 days.  Your "free" 250 promo minutes has a trade-up value of $125 (not valid for social media bundle) - thus, you are offered the pre-cruise option for a "nominal" fee of $225 as shown to you.  

For those without any 250 minutes (i.e. SailAway bookings) - NCL does offer the package with a small discount for prepaid purchase - saving is 10% or 15% (don't recall the specifics.)  

If you have any non-refundable OBC coming, wait until you are onboard to upgrade the plan - if you wish.  Feel free to ask about using OBC with advance purchase, unlikely but never hurt to ask, if they see that in their system & willing/able to apply the offset.  On a typical 14 days sailing, like ours last January (a year ago) - you can purchase it as late as Day 4 (do that just after midnight, ship time for the billing system) and you will be paying for 11 days worth of unlimited access, minus the $125 credit or $25 x 11 days = $275 minus $125 for a net charge of $150, still pricey but not as bad ... especially if you have OBC to cover it.  And, you choose to stay connected - speed is slow & sluggish and coverage is not guaranteed. 

If this is a Caribbean and PC crossing with multiple port days and being ashore, you might not use it that much anyway - roaming cellular data coverage is pretty good in most Mexican & many Caribbean ports, faster & better than satellite (a T/A crossing in the big ocean is another story).  

It's important to NOT use any of that 250 minutes if you are going to upgrade, but definitely can use that 30 minutes or share that with someone else.  In practice, most CC'ers are busy on embarkation day, sailaway & dinner, and typically only get 3 or 4 hours of usage out of that whole day - I recommend skipping the first day, regardless of whether it's 7 days, 10 days or 14+ days ... save that money for other upcharges.   NCL's satellite WiFi is overpriced - IMHO - and under-perform in delivering its promises.  The top-tiered VPN/streaming option does not grant faster speed nor improved latency, results & feedbacks had been a mixed one, at best.  Choose wisely & good luck !  

Thank you, Mking8288 for the detailed breakdown.   I am an accountant; I like this kind of analysis.  😀  

This is a cruise in Europe, where I will have only very expensive cell data coverage, so I do plan on using the WiFi, despite expecting it to be slow.  I will be using both a Kindle Fire and my phone.  I assume I can log in on both devices, just not both at the same time?