Question regarding the benefits of booking a future cruise while onboard.

My question is twofold.

We will be on Indy soon.  I have been watching a cruise for next year and we would like to book a junior suite as the double points will get to Diamond level.

What are the benefits of booking while onboard?

Is it allowed to book ahead of time and then get the benefits adjusted with a visit to Next Cruise  while onboard.

We will turn everything over to our TA afterwards.

Thank You!

Booking onboard gets you OBC on the future cruise and a reduced deposit if you opt for non-refundable deposit.  You also get a much higher OBC if you opt for non-refundable deposit.

The onboard booking must be a new booking, so you would have to cancel the existing booking (and possibly lose the lower price and/or perks).

The onboard booking can be booked directly with your TA, or you can own it yourself and transfer to the TA within 60 days.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TinkBellaMom said:

Thank you Bob!

I appreciate you always replying so quickly.

Deb

You're welcome.

Here are the terms, except ignore the part about the extra $100 OBC if booking 6 months in advance:

http://www.royalonboardsales.com/content/assets/2015/05/17056269_NextCruise_Core_Flyer_Final-6.pdf

• Thanks 1

In addition to the OBC, you're only on the hook for $200 ($100 per) as opposed to a normal deposit of $500 of which you lose $200 for any changes/cancelaltions and get a future cruise credit for the $300 remainder to be used within a year.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, nelblu said:

In addition to the OBC, you're only on the hook for $200 ($100 per) as opposed to a normal deposit of $500 of which you lose $200 for any changes/cancelaltions and get a future cruise credit for the $300 remainder to be used within a year.

That's if you pick the non refundable deposit.  Unless you are booking a GS or higher you can still pick refundable and pay the $500 deposit and if you should have to change the ship and/or sail date before final payment date there is NO penalty

We just got off a cruise, yesterday.

We booked two cruises on board.   They offered a $100 per person deposit for Jr suites and below.   Various amounts of OBC based on the length of the cruise (up to $600 for 10 nights or longer).

Also, even with non-refundable, you can change the date and/or ship up to 30 days after your cruise ends (NOT when you booked).

Im seeing that the current offer of 50% off on the second guest is only for 3 more days.  We leave in 9 days.

Does anyone have a guess regarding the next sale?  I have been watching prices and waiting to book while onboard for the maximum savings on a junior suite.  Now I am wondering if I made a mistake in waiting.

My wife and I just got off Allure 3 weeks ago. While onboard we were thinking about booking a future cruise to take advantage of the $100pp deposit but we weren't sure of the dates so we passed on it. So a few days ago I get an email from the travel agency that we always use, about special pricing on cruises. I use the date in 2020 that we now know is available for us and get what I think is a pretty good price on a 7-night Symphony Western cruise. It even includes no deposit and a $100 OBC.

I go to the Royal site and look up the price for the "EXACT" same cruise, dates, and cabin. The price of the Royal cruise with the current promotions and special pricing is almost $600 "HIGHER" than what the travel agency would charge me. I couldn't believe it. So I booked with the travel agency at the lower fare. Seems like the travel agency could get us a much lower price on a balcony cabin than Royal.

So I was wondering, if booking onboard has lower cabin prices as well as the lower deposit? Or is the only advantage the lower deposit and maybe an OBC?

13 minutes ago, lowbass said:

My wife and I just got off Allure 3 weeks ago. While onboard we were thinking about booking a future cruise to take advantage of the $100pp deposit but we weren't sure of the dates so we passed on it. So a few days ago I get an email from the travel agency that we always use, about special pricing on cruises. I use the date in 2020 that we now know is available for us and get what I think is a pretty good price on a 7-night Symphony Western cruise. It even includes no deposit and a $100 OBC.

I go to the Royal site and look up the price for the "EXACT" same cruise, dates, and cabin. The price of the Royal cruise with the current promotions and special pricing is almost $600 "HIGHER" than what the travel agency would charge me. I couldn't believe it. So I booked with the travel agency at the lower fare. Seems like the travel agency could get us a much lower price on a balcony cabin than Royal.

So I was wondering, if booking onboard has lower cabin prices as well as the lower deposit? Or is the only advantage the lower deposit and maybe an OBC?

Your TA most likely has group space on the cruise that you booked.  Prices onboard should be the same as they would be if you booked online.  I booked a Harmony cruise with a TA for next year that was around $600 less than RCL due to his having group space on it

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lowbass said:

As Ellen mentioned above, your TA has group space available which is why they had the lower price.  Not all travel agencies hold group space and some hold more than others.  Also Group space is not offered on every sailing.

Booking on board will not result in lower prices compared to travel agents or to Royals website, only additional OBC and possibly reduced deposits.

4 hours ago, TinkBellaMom said:

Im seeing that the current offer of 50% off on the second guest is only for 3 more days.  We leave in 9 days.

Does anyone have a guess regarding the next sale?  I have been watching prices and waiting to book while onboard for the maximum savings on a junior suite.  Now I am wondering if I made a mistake in waiting.

The 50% off and kids sail free runs until May 7.  This is the main sale.  The mini sale which happens throughout the month at various times offers additional OBC and / or $ off just started today and runs until April 22

Edited by Ourusualbeach