Getaway 4/27/19 Transatlantic Shortened by Two Days

vwlmember

20 minutes ago, Alaskawhovian said:

I think they absolutely knew about it.  They just know people wouldn’t book a cruise with the two ports and 10 days.   Plus the last minute notification is terrible.

it could of been worse. Norwegian modified the Encore transatlantic crossing and it is now a 9 day cruise with no port stops

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rileyz said:

Platinum plus here and this makes me never want to book an overseas cruise with NCL.  I also plan on getting insurance that covers all of this for future cruises.  So sorry for everyone, this is being handled horribly by NCL IMO.  Minimum 50% off fare and 2 nights hotel would be a start.

I agree.  We are platinum plus, and we often purchase multiple cabins.  Clearly, they don’t value our business.   Also, please, everyone, go to FB and other social media and report this.   There is a lot out there already. The 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, shof515 said:

it could of been worse. Norwegian modified the Encore transatlantic crossing and it is now a 9 day cruise with no port stops

That is terrible.   Wow.  Disgusting and inconsiderate of their supposedly valued customers.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, purpleally said:

Trip interruption?   There will be extra costs for two hotel nights that were unexpected?

it depends on policy. every insurance company is a bit different. I noticed my policy with AIG TravelGuard has a different definition of Trip interruption then my nationwide policy.

the best thing to do, is give them a call and explain the issue.

We had something similar happen several years ago but our outcome was much better. The POA was coming out of drydock in San Francisco sailing to HNL via the Hawaiian Islands.  I received a phone call from our TA as we were boarding our plane to SF. She said the cruise is delayed because the drydock is not completed. We were at the point of no return as we were in the boarding process. I called my TA upon landing in SF. This was the deal.....NCL would pick up our hotel and meals until we boarded. The problem was our hotel had no reservations past our original reservation. TA found a hotel across the street from our hotel. We proceeded to have a wonderful mini vacation in SF. When we boarded the ship the spa etc were closed to finish the renovations. I was disappointed but knew I had just saved a bunch of money. The ship was kind of a mess but we were going to Hawaii. Our cruise was cut short, but didn’t miss a single port and we got 50% off our next cruise.   We also got some other monetary goodies. The check arrived within 60 days.

This is the pits.....try to make some lemonade out of these lemons.

9 minutes ago, shof515 said:

We were booked on that Encore inaugural and were also disappointed when it was changed to 9 days and no port stops. But there is a big difference - it wasn't 8 DAYS away, it was changed about 8 MONTHS in advance, so we just cancelled the Encore and booked a Celebrity cruise for October this year instead. We are platinum on NCL and leave next Saturday on the Epic on a transatlantic, but that will use up our last cruise next certificate and then we have no plans to take NCL cruises in the future.

• Like 2

The late notice is completely unprofessional and shows they planned this.  Now, we have zero time to plan and will pay top dollar, uncompensated by Norwegian, to make hotel reservations and other things.  Plus with our two little ones with Down Syndrome, it will be a huge challenge to change up the trip at this point- including dragging our stuff someplace else to 

try to salvage the rest of the trip. And the holiday weekend plus the no notice.  Just, WOW.  Showing their true colors, I guess.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vwlmember said:

Just informed by NCL that the 4/27 Getaway transatlantic has been shortened from 12 days to 10 days and we will not go to Brussels and LeHarve.  This is so disappointing I cannot even begin to explain. Not getting to see Normandy, the only reason I booked this cruise, is devastating.  Although they are refunding 25% of the cruise price and any scheduled shore excursions, I am done with NCL.  Our last cruise on the Escape had issues for us and they were not willing to help us with a huge medical bill incurred by an issue they should have addressed.

wow.. with so little notice.

What was the reason?

I totally agree with everyone. We have been on this ship a few times and really booked it for the itinerary. Was so looking forward to brussels. I feel that this was not a snap decision on their part and we should have been told long before this !

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, purpleally said:

Trip interruption?   There will be extra costs for two hotel nights that were unexpected?

Depending on your state you can get port cancellation coverage. I have to wait until Monday to call and see if this qualifies for mine.

1 hour ago, purpleally said:

Even assuming this meets a policy's definition of "trip interruption," it would still have to be for a covered reason (e.g., passenger was injured and had to interrupt their trip to fly home early).  But this was a voluntary act by the cruise line.  Not to get too off topic, but it would be interesting to know what policies (with whom) folks have that will cover the cruise line voluntarily changing the itinerary (that is, not weather-related or some other Act of God).   (I'm not saying they don't exist.)

I still have no e-mail from NCL but clicked on NCL holdings and sent my e-mail regarding this matter. Perhaps they got moved up on their dry dock schedule or....whatever! I checked more than one travel insurance company policy and they do not all cover skipped ports. I also reported this on CC cruise news. Please do more than just post on our roll call. It takes a lot of noise to change their behavior. I wonder what they would think if everyone called and cancelled all their extra packages and excursions through NCL? Can I say, "I'm mad at myself for trying this line again?"

Rainey

p.s. I'll fight like h..l to increase our compensation before the cruise but once onboard will be my sweet, smiling self.  I hope.  Yes, I will. You all don't deserve to see an Irish, sort-of redhead go ballistic. I can be vindictive, however, and am cancelling everything I can that gives them more profit unless they change their "excellent customer service".

• Like 3

Question:  since someone up-thread said cancellation/refund isn’t an option, is this the type of thing where you can dispute the charge through your credit card company?  I wouldn’t risk cancelling unless I knew in advance I’d get that refund, but it’s an interesting thought.  

5 minutes ago, erdoran said:

Question:  since someone up-thread said cancellation/refund isn’t an option, is this the type of thing where you can dispute the charge through your credit card company?  I wouldn’t risk cancelling unless I knew in advance I’d get that refund, but it’s an interesting thought.

Good question.  I wondered about that as well.  But since the cruise is in 8 days, most people have probably already paid their credit card bill.  Could it still be disputed?  I have no idea how those things work.

15 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Even assuming this meets a policy's definition of "trip interruption," it would still have to be for a covered reason (e.g., passenger was injured and had to interrupt their trip to fly home early).  But this was a voluntary act by the cruise line.  Not to get too off topic, but it would be interesting to know what policies (with whom) folks have that will cover the cruise line voluntarily changing the itinerary (that is, not weather-related or some other Act of God).   (I'm not saying they don't exist.)

in one of my travel insurance policy it says this for trip interruption:

Trip Interruption:

(a) unused, non-refundable travel arrangements prepaid to the
Travel Suppliers;
(b) additional transportation expenses incurred by the Insured.

seems vague

11 minutes ago, erdoran said:

usually it is a bad idea to do a charge back with the cruise line. while you might get a refund, they might be side effects. this is why having travel insurance with a cancel anytime policy is preferred

Edited by shof515

This is totally PATHETIC, NCL knew what they were doing when they shortened this trip, it just didn't come up Friday.

I have insurance....thank God not with NCL, first time I was going to cruise on NCL.

Getaway was built in 2014, and they decided on Good Friday that it was going to be refurbished May 7th, total B.S.

Lets see if we pack the ship with people and then tell them the trip is shortened give them 25 % off we will make a whole bunch of money, than if we tell them in January.

I say cut 2 days off the sea days and put the pedal to the metal and then we can go to all the ports we told everyone we were going to go to.

THIS IS FRAUD by NCL

Edited by Big Jim 99
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Anet01 said:

Could you take the Chunnel or fly easyjet and still go see Normandy with the extra days? 

I cannot as I had the reduced airfare perk and they already rescheduled my flight for 5/7.

In total disbelief that they would change the itinerary at this late notice. We have been on the computer all day working on our travel plans as obviously running out of time to make plans and we leave for NY on Thursday. Already costing us more money as had to cancel a ferry we booked--non refundable.

We have already booked a car service to the train station and booked 2 nights hotel and train rides. So now spending more money that was not planned. The amount of stress that this causes for everyone is unacceptable and extremely unprofessional. 

I agree with everyone that 25% refund is ridiculous! We received an email early this afternoon and I immediately called and the agent was not even aware of these changes. I asked for more compensation, she put me on hold and when she returned said the 25% is all NCL is doing for their guests.

Many of us cruise often and have lots of choices available to us, I am sure that we will be reconsidering booking NCL in the future.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, smileforever said:

In total disbelief that they would change the itinerary at this late notice. We have been on the computer all day working on our travel plans as obviously running out of time to make plans and we leave for NY on Thursday. Already costing us more money as had to cancel a ferry we booked--non refundable.

We have already booked a car service to the train station and booked 2 nights hotel and train rides. So now spending more money that was not planned. The amount of stress that this causes for everyone is unacceptable and extremely unprofessional. 

I agree with everyone that 25% refund is ridiculous! We received an email early this afternoon and I immediately called and the agent was not even aware of these changes. I asked for more compensation, she put me on hold and when she returned said the 25% is all NCL is doing for their guests.

Many of us cruise often and have lots of choices available to us, I am sure that we will be reconsidering booking NCL in the future.  

I can’t remember the compensation we got but remember the cruise ended up being dirt cheap and we were in a suite. The compensation was enough that we were satisfied and continued to sail NCL. They cut out sea days instead of port days. Cost them more in fuel but they did it. 

Wonder what else is going on here. NCL needs to up the ante. Perhaps the drydock facility changed the dates and the Getaway has a problem that needs the facility ASAP. 

Does anyone have cancel for any reason insurance? 

19 minutes ago, vwlmember said:

I cannot as I had the reduced airfare perk and they already rescheduled my flight for 5/7.

Did they reschedule your flight with your permission, or did they just change it? 

Short but simple.  NCL better make this right me us and the others traveling with me and I don't mean just the lousy 25% refund and airfare change credit.  This is an overseas cruise with minimal ports to begin with; they've taken 50% of the ports off the itinerary and two days off the cruise.  Refunds are not compensation for the immense hardship they are causing.  So much for relaxing; this is a stressful nightmare.  Also, now with this huge influx of people having two days to mull around London the hotels will go up in price (supply and demand) and airfare with go through the roof due to short notice and limited seats.  This is unacceptable.  We are Platinum Latitude members and will (no would be) Platinum Plus by the end of this year; we and everyone else deserves better.  I did call and speak to a representative this evening who despite being very nice could offer no solutions at all other than "send your receipts to the email address provided and they will make a determination".   BS!  Breech of contract?  Class Action?  Regardless, they better make this right tomorrow when I call Guest Relations of we will cancel our cruise scheduled for later this year and will never cruise with them again!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Anet01 said:

Did they reschedule your flight with your permission, or did they just change it? 

As they paid for the flight, I have no say in the reservation at all. I only get to chose the seats.

Short but simple.  NCL better make this right me us and the others traveling with me and I don't mean just the lousy 25% refund and airfare change credit.  This is an overseas cruise with minimal ports to begin with; they've taken 50% of the ports off the itinerary and two days off the cruise.  Refunds are not compensation for the immense hardship they are causing.  So much for relaxing; this is a stressful nightmare.  Also, now with this huge influx of people having two days to mull around London the hotels will go up in price (supply and demand) and airfare with go through the roof due to short notice and limited seats.  This is unacceptable.  We are Platinum Latitude members and will (no would be) Platinum Plus by the end of this year; we and everyone else deserves better.  I did call and speak to a representative this evening who despite being very nice could offer no solutions at all other than "send your receipts to the email address provided and they will make a determination".  We're out train tickets X 6 people in 2 ports, what about pre-paid Spa packages good for the whole cruise - will they be discounted.  It just goes on and on...   BS!  Breech of contract?  Class Action?  Regardless, they better make this right tomorrow when I call Guest Relations of we will cancel our cruise scheduled for later this year and will never cruise with them again!

• Like 2

Stay in Southampton instead of London. We are doing that in July. The hotels are very reasonable. Lots to see in the Southampton area. Trains from Southampton to major sites are very reasonable. We are staying extra days after cruise because the airfare was cheaper if we flew out on Tuesday instead of Saturday. 

• Like 1