Getaway 4/27/19 Transatlantic Shortened by Two Days

vwlmember

Still showing as a 12 day in my reservation, six days out!

Seems like they care about accurate information on their site as much as they care about customer loyalty and proactive communication.

• Haha 1

Still showing as a 12 day in my reservation, six days out!

Seems like they care about accurate information on their site as much as they care about customer loyalty and proactive communication.

• Thanks 1

TYPICAL NCL customer service! I have emailed the addresses provided in this thread on your behalf. I am on the Star TA leaving on the 27th and have had a snafu with my suite being completely different than the one shown on its website; instead of throwing me a bone (a little onboard credit, shore ex. credit. etc) they completely stonewall me and say it’s MY fault for not knowing the specific cabin details when I booked.

I’m in solidarity with those of you inconvenienced by this insensitive NCL Management Team (and I’m not sure why I capitalized ‘management team’) - I’m Platinum and always book suites, but NO MORE NCL. There are enough other cruise options for all of us to select where we spend our money.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your problem, I too think it's disgraceful, but here are a couple of heads-ups.

It's my understanding that you were scheduled for Ponta Delgarda (Azores) on 3rd May, Portland (England) on 6th May, Zeebrugge (for Bruges) on 7th May, Le Havre on 8th May, disembark Southampton 9th May ?

And that now the schedule takes you direct from Portland on 6th May to Southampton on 7th May ?

Getaway is still showing on port websites for Porta Delgarda 3rd May, Portland 6th May and Le Havre 8th May.

It has disappeared from the Zeebrugge port website.

It now shows on the Southampton website for 7th May. 

Heads-up 1.

Le Havre is showing only one cruise ship (Costa Mediterranea) booked for 5th May - it frequently handles two large cruise ships.

https://www.havre-port.com/fr/liste/2077/escales-croisieres

Zeebrugge is showing  no cruise ships booked for 7th May 

https://www.portofzeebrugge.be/en/cruise-timetable

It would be patently clear to anyone that Zeebrugge and Le Havre are the two most important ports for cruisers, especially since Portland is only a 2-hour drive from Southampton, and I can see no logistical reason why Getaway can't skip Ponta Delgarda and Portland, and instead sail to Le Havre for 5th May, then Zeebrugge for 6th May and Southampton 7th May.

That may involve changing arrangements for some stores and/or bunkering but I wonder whether NCL reckon it's easier for them to simply chop off the last two ports and leave 4.000 passengers to change their arrangements instead?

Heads-up 2.

To get to France in your timescale, the only ferry which would work is Brittany Ferries' hi-speed ferry between Portsmouth and Cherbourg :

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ferry-routes/ferries-france

Unassisted disembarkation from Getaway at 6.45 / 7am on 7th May, a pre-booked car to Portsmouth (journey time nominally 30 minutes, but allow up to an hour), arrive Portsmouth International ferry port by latest check-in time 8.15 for 9am sailing. Arrives Cherbourg 1 pm that day.

Depart Cherbourg  5pm next day, 8th May, to arrive back in Southampton 7pm.

Return ferry fare about £70 per foot-passenger

That would give you a day-and-a-half from Cherbourg - that's actually far longer than the original scheduled day from Le Havre, and for visiting the US D-Day sights Cherbourg is much closer than Le Havre.

Paris from Cherbourg by train is also possible, including an evening in Paris.

But for D-Day you'd need a hotel near Cherbourg and car rental (probably too late to find a tour), for Paris a hotel in the city, and for either option a Southampton hotel for the second night.

Other than ship's bus transfers, no need for a major change to your plans for travel from Southampton to airports.

Alternatively of course two nights in a Southampton hotel (lots of day-trip options) or a London hotel.

Headaches, headaches :classic_angry:

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 1

Just informed yesterday by a TOUR OPERATOR not ncl that our cruise is cut short by 2 days missing 2 fabulous ports that had tours booked.

After talking to 2 NCL customer service reps that sounded like robots and had no COMPASSION FOR THE PROBLEMS JUST SAYING TOUGH  THAT IS WHAT IT IS. 

NCL knew way before they were going into dry dock.  They could not care less about the 4,000 passengers.  i hope they realize they lost me and I am a Platnium Plus member with over 20 sailing with them and i have a cruise booked for next October. 

The refunds they are giving makes up for NOTHING.    They save 2 Days of Fuel, 2 days of Food,  Most likely 2 days of pay for there crew. 

We as passengers now have to make Hotel Arrangements, New Plane fares, Additional food, And a truly lost 2 days of a lifetime.

Also, when NCL does refund the money as they say they are:  What about the on board credits that can not be used by thousands of passengers who were using it on shore excursions.  i do not need to use the obc on shirts, binoculars, pictures--stuff i do not need.  i use it on shore excursions,  NCL REMEMBER TO CREDIT THE OBC BACK .  IF YOU HAVE AN OUNCE OF BRAINS, THAT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO.  Also remember to REFUND THE 2 LOST PORT CHARGES.  ALSO REMEMBER TO REFUND GRATUITIES FOR THE LIQUEUR AND RESTAURANT PACKAGES AS THEY WERE NOT USED 100%- --YOU stoled 2 DAYS FROM US.  These charges should be refunded as well.

AL IN ALSO NCL HAS ONE BIG SET OF B-----S TO DO WHAT THEY DID.  I WAS PLANNING AS ASIA CRUISE WITH THEM BUT NOW WILL BOOK WITH CELEBRITY

LEAVING MY LAST WORDS FOR LAST----A COMPANY NEVER NEVER WANTS THEIR CUSTOMERS TO GO TO A COMPETITOR.  THIS IS WHAT YOU, YOUR UPPER  MANAGEMENT HAS DONE.  WATCH YOUR BAD PRESS EXPLODE AND KICK YOU UPPER MANAGEMENT IN THE FACE.  HAPPY EASTER.

HOW DARE YOU SPRING THIS ON YOUR PASSENGERS ON GOOD FRIDAY AND THE JEWISH HOLIDAY AND EASTER  SOME PEOPLE MIGHT NOT EVEN FIND OUT ABOUT IT TILL MONDAY.

MARK FROM LONG ISLAND

Edited by Nypartyworks
  • Like 4

JB -

The issue at this point for #1 is that many passengers have already altered arrangements for the early arrival at Southampton. Changing again would cause a whole new round of chaos.

Your #2 is spot on. Easy trip from Portsmouth to LeHavre to collect any third party tours for the same day Getaway was scheduled to arrive.

Edited by philabos

While I’m not on this cruise, the offered compensation seems fair to me...

That said, any cruise on any line right before or after a dry dock is a crap shoot....good insurance is a must. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, blcruising said:

So, now they are coming around. You'd think they'd be able to get it right from the start though. Why do they always start with some silly, ridiculous offer? 

marketing + negotiating tactics.

start with lowball offer then work your way up till the majority of peasants stop bitching.

Did the ship offer tours to Normandy and Brugge? 

We have had so many port changes over the years that we now only book ship’s tours unless a private tour doesn’t require payment in advance.

We have missed ports in New Zealand, Hawaii, Canada,Caribbean, Sweden and Ireland.  Some decisions were made by the cruise line and others by Mother Nature. 

There is nothing a cruise passenger can do can do other than make alternate plans. Sometimes things work out great and other times it’s a totall bust.

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss of two days and, more importanly, the ports on short notice.  The NCL corporate culture is that customers are replaceable so land-based service is not a priority.   Once onboard, hospitality is typically very good.  I wish NCL’s land-based customer service was on par with that at sea.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

While I’m not on this cruise, the offered compensation seems fair to me...

That said, any cruise on any line right before or after a dry dock is a crap shoot....good insurance is a must. 

Pre and Post dry dock cruises are all high risk. That’s why the prices are usually amazing. 

• Like 2

This is our family first cruise and it will be our last for sure!! We were aware of the facts that criuse line can change their itenary(port) but never expected that they can shorten the trips by two days with a Week notice. Now I just spend my entire Holiday weekend trying to figure out plan B. Like many others on this TA cruise , we booked this cruise because of those two ports (Zebrugge & Le Havre) without ,we would not have booked this cruise ...

At this point our dream vacation turn in to major headache,  but what can we do at this point except plan those two extra days.. so heres our family plan.

From Southampton we were able to change our transportation & day tour to Winsor/London provide by (Int'l friends tour) free of charge.

(05/07 Tuesday )Over night staying in London (Pullman hotel)near St Pancras Int'l Train Station for $250.

(05/08 Wednesday/7am Train to Paris /round trips $320 two adults ) Day tour then over night in Novotel near eiffle tower  $200 and back to London by train on Thursday afternoon.

Hope everyone figure out a plan to get over the chaos.. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Granny DI said:

Pre and Post dry dock cruises are all high risk. That’s why the prices are usually amazing. 

Thanks for the insight on the dry dock thing.  How would a common man know that it's a pre or post dry dock cruise; this was never disclosed?  I wouldn't even know where to look. The transatlantic cruises tend to value priced as well due to the limited ports (we've done two with NCL in the past).  This makes somewhere around 15 cruises with NCL for me and I was not aware of any such warning.  I've had ports cancelled but never for an operations issue like this, and especially not dropping days.  Having just spent nearly five hours re-booking and making new arrangements based on their issue, I can tell you that $300 per person is not going to cover my additional expenses.  I hope I'm still able to relax and have a good time but I bet the mood of everyone aboard won't be the best...  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, amf508 said:

Thanks for the insight on the dry dock thing.  How would a common man know that it's a pre or post dry dock cruise; this was never disclosed?  I wouldn't even know where to look. The transatlantic cruises tend to value priced as well due to the limited ports (we've done two with NCL in the past).  This makes somewhere around 15 cruises with NCL for me and I was not aware of any such warning.  I've had ports cancelled but never for an operations issue like this, and especially not dropping days.  Having just spent nearly five hours re-booking and making new arrangements based on their issue, I can tell you that $300 per person is not going to cover my additional expenses.  I hope I'm still able to relax and have a good time but I bet the mood of everyone aboard won't be the best...  

A google search on dry dock and the ship name are usually enough to get the needed info..

or just ask on the proper cruise line board...someone always has the answer.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JayS said:

I have just received this email from my TA

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners,

We sincerely apologize for any disappointment experienced as a result of the change of itinerary to Norwegian Getaway's April 27th voyage. 

In addition to the 25% refund previously communicated, as a genuine gesture of concern, we are extending an additional 25% future cruise credit which may be used towards any upcoming sailing with us. The future cruise credit will be valid for 24 months from the date of this letter. Please reference your Getaway reservation number at the time of booking to utilize your future cruise credit.

Additionally, the $300 maximum per person in change fees can be applied to travel costs such as airline, train or hotel fees that have been incurred as a result of the change in the cruise length. Please submit receipts to: https://www.ncl.com/case-submission.

If you have any questions, please contact us at 1-800-327-7030 (Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to midnight ET and Saturday and Sunday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET). For any guests booked outside of the US/Canada please visit www.ncl.com for our local contact information.

We thank you for your continued understanding and look forward to welcoming you on board for an exceptional vacation experience. 

Sincerely,
raw?appid=aolwebmail&ymreqid=c5b7342c-e0

There it is, the 50% but they are giving two years to use it.  Normal way for them to play it out.

18 hours ago, DZcreature said:

I am so glad NCL came around with the more reasonable compensation for the shortened cruise. It would have saved the cruisers a lot of stress if they made this offer in the first place. 

While the current compensation is better, I still think the short notice given was a terrible thing. Was there ever any real explanation for this last minute change? Did some system breakdown or mechanical problem suddenly occur?

That's their MO.  If they started with 50% the outrage would be there then people would be asking for 75%.  So they start low, up it, then look like they are heroes. 

8 minutes ago, dexddd said:

There it is, the 50% but they are giving two years to use it.  Normal way for them to play it out.

That's not 50%it is only 25% because 25%  is only because of the shortened cruise which is basically my money anyway and going back to my credit card.  They need to up the 25% future cruise credit or drop the bad ports and put the good ports back on.( but we know that won't happen so up the 25% future ).credit

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pantherpaw said:

I have requested it on the 3 phone calls I made, where I talked to 5 different people. Everyone gave the same answer: "that is not in the information I was given about this cruise so I can't answer that question. You can talk to guest services about it when you are on board"

That is a bunch of BS.  Once you get onboard anything comp related will be at direction of Miami other than maybe some choc covered strawberries.  

13 hours ago, Granny DI said:

The CEO of NCL actually showed up to the POA when it had its dry dock problems which resulted in a shortened and delayed cruise. As I recall he went ballistic when he toured the ship and saw the mess. I guess the ship was going to sail until he took a look at things. It was a few years ago so some of the stuff is foggy. None of us really know what’s going on behind the scene.

SFO had gobs of rain during that drydock so I do cut them slack and feel they took good care of us even though the refund check took 16 weeks to arrive for some of us.  The CEO may have visited but wasn't on the ship although Klaus was there and is probably the best person I've meet from NCL who could take charge and improve things.

The outside work lasted the whole trip which seems long compared to the rain delays plus the spa was out of action for weeks after our sailing.

Bottom line, NCL recent drydocks have not gone well.

41 minutes ago, amf508 said:

I learned about dry dock problems here on cc. The posters here are a wealth of information.

when I booked the POA post dry dock in SF. I knew the risks. My hope was that the cruise wasn’t cancelled.

The  cruise was delayed and shortened, plus ongoing renovations on the ship.

Lots of unhappy campers on the cruise. We knew the risk, loved the price so just enjoyed the cruise.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Nametag said:

That's not 50%it is only 25% because 25%  is only because of the shortened cruise which is basically my money anyway and going back to my credit card.  They need to up the 25% future cruise credit or drop the bad ports and put the good ports back on.( but we know that won't happen so up the 25% future ).credit

I see that.  They tend to refund the missed days and 50% future credit so in this case, they are a bit short.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, philabos said:

JB -

The issue at this point for #1 is that many passengers have already altered arrangements for the early arrival at Southampton. Changing again would cause a whole new round of chaos.

Your #2 is spot on. Easy trip from Portsmouth to LeHavre to collect any third party tours for the same day Getaway was scheduled to arrive.

Hi, Philabos,

Switching missed ports wouldn't affect the early arrival at Southampton, though it would screw-up anyone who's made arrangements for Ponta Delgado or Portland.

Ferries - I was thinking more of fresh DIY from Cherbourg.

But yes, for those with tours already booked from Le Havre, the overnite ferry from Portsmouth at 11.00pm on the 7th, arrive Le Havre 8.00am on the 8th, much as original Getaway schedule  Tours as already arranged, then overnite ferry from Le Havre at 11.45pm arrive Portsmouth on the 9th at 6.00am instead of Getaway's scheduled 7.00am just 25 miles away in Southampton. 

JB :classic_smile:

IMHO, Goooooood luck tweeting to COO, Andy Stuart for a (canned) response from someone doing the PR on his "semi-barely active" social media corporate account, used mainly to spin only positive "news" good for shareholder publicity.   - click here for link -

We almost booked this cruise last minute as prices were dropping and DW's friends from work had no idea until yesterday morning when I ring them with the news.  They booked via their local T/A (3 cabins) - disappointed about missing the 2 port stops but VERY disappointed at the way NCL is handling this.  T/A are scrambling to help them change plans this weekend.  After this fiasco, they are going back to Royal & Princess.  

• Like 1