Customs at Southampton

harrywpb

I’m on the Silhouette TA and they announced a transfer to Heathrow ( for a fee of course ). We’re not disembarking till 6/2 but I inquired how it works. Guest relations told me that you collect your luggage and meet the bus outside. I asked if they’ll wait till everyone clears customs and was informed that there isn’t any at that port. 

That pleasantly surprised me as I’ve not disembarked here previously. 

Has anyone else experienced this ?

Harry

No customs or immigration when you get off a ship in Southampton. Once your color code is ready, get off the ship, collect your luggage and head to LHR. If you have a late afternoon or early evening flight, consider taking one of the local vendors instead of the cruise line bus. You will go through US customs & immigration when you land in the states. 

Darcy

Edited by WatchHill

As others have said there is sometimes random checks as you pass through. I also understand that sniffer dogs will often be present when luggage is taken off the ships.

As you disembark on the 2nd June you are on the Baltics cruise and your last port of call is Warnemunde in Germany i.e., a fellow EU country, so things should be relaxed.

However, you will have heard of BREXIT! The UK government wants to leave the EU before the EU elections on the 23rd May, this is highly unlikely.

But if it did happen then we would not be an EU member on the 2nd June and there might be point scoring as far as customs is concerned. !!

Any check might be tied to which  country's passport you are using, too. Since Americans might be considered "passing through" on their way to the airport, and taking purchases with them, GB wouldn't be collecting any tax. But those residing in England would be subject to further checks.  

We have sailed a half dozen times from either Dover or Southampton and not had anyone check/inquire about citizenship or purchases......but then we get to LHR and deal with security which varies in intensity, then home to Boston area. Thankfully with Global Entry, no need to fill out the blue customs cards.

Darcy

Depending on your flight time there could be two choices of coach transfers to LHR.

The first is simply a direct transfer. The second is for guests that have evening flights and includes a sightseeing stop. Historically I think this has been to Salisbury, Winchester or Stonehenge. If you are not flying until evening it is a good option.

I have not done this myself so can’t comment personally how good it is but we have done extended transfers in Miami and found them much better than a long airport wait...

No customs at Southampton but LHR security can be really hard work. 

On 4/22/2019 at 6:11 AM, Saab4444 said:

They only check if your cruise was not a closed loop cruise that started in the UK as well. And customs is not immigration or border control, at least in Europe.

Your passport has already been checked when you board on a closed loop cruise, so no further IMMIGRATION check when you disembark.

However, you may be subject to a CUSTOMS  check if you are bringing goods over £390 back into the U.K. You will be informed of your allowance the evening before the cruise ends, which I consider too late, as purchases will have been made during your cruise.

3 hours ago, Quo Vadis? said:

Is this an inspection for boarders as the notice indicates? 😀

Isn't disembarkation the opposite of boarding? (UK boarder Agency)

Must be another spell checker program running amok.

😂 😂 Perhaps they needed more characters to fill the line 🤣

Thanks for the laugh 😄. You’ll most probably hear more about todays crossing of the Bay of Biscay as we’re in 15 foot seas predicted to go to 20 foot by tonight. The Silhouette is handling it just fine. 👍

Harry

19C8ACCA-8AEA-4726-937A-979316924883.png

Edited by harrywpb