Independence of the Seas Review

My adult daughter and I just got off a cruise on the Independence. First of all, I paid more for this 5 day cruise than some 7 day ones. Embarkation was slower than slow. Im Diamond plus and and was shown no consideration. They corral you into a seating area and we waited 1.5 hours to board. On boarding, the first thing I noticed was dirty rugs and scuffed floors. Not a good first impression. We found a seat on deck to sun in at 8:00 am and went to eat for approximately 15 minutes. When we returned, pool staffed had placed s chain with a sign saying, reserved for suite guests. Well, the sign was not there when we first came but they proceeded to throw us out ( Im Diamond plus remember). At this point the deck was crowded. So much for the no reserving seats rule. Let me see, this was my 40th cruise. Im sure Ive spent as much as suite guests. If you’re going to have a rule, it should apply to everyone. Staff was great. The food was ok, not exceptional. The drinks are getting way too expensive. But I think they do this to push you towards purchasing a package. Plus, the drinks seemed watered down. Looks like I need to reconsider where my loyalty lies.

• Like 1

Anything positive to say about this ship?  Honestly, it went into renovation/dry dock April-May 2018, I can't see it being that bad, not calling you a liar but maybe your just annoyed because you feel that you deserve better service being diamond plus?

• Like 4

My last cruise on the Independence Of The Seas in June 2018 fourteen day Canary Islands sailing Main Seating started at 6:00PM and Late Seating began at 8:30PM. We never made it to the Diamond Lounge on any evening but used the three free drinks at the Playmakers Sports Bar. The Diamond Lounge hours for free drinks was 5:00PM until 8:00PM. The three free drinks were available at any bar on the ship except for drinks in the Main Dining Room. Our waiter explained that regular service suffered because they were spending too much time getting drinks and not spending enough time with regular food service.

It was a holiday cruise so I can imagine that was the reason for the higher cost. And, it's true that the tiered seating area by the main pool has always been for gold card holders.  I'm D+ too and I know that area isn't for me unless I happen to be cruising in a suite.  I will be in 2020 when I cruise on the Explorer and I am already planning to enjoy it.

Hoping (since I am about to spend ten days on the Indy) that the ship is in good shape.

OP, I sincerely wish you had had a better cruise.

Thanks Corby114 for your reply about your experience from June 2018, but I was wondering if any more recent cruisers have any other info as to when main seating dining is and what time diamond lounge is open for drinks. 

I will be on the Indy on June 1st.  It's been a few years since we sailed on her but I am really looking forward to sailing on her again.  Many of our friends love the "Indy". This is the first negative post I've read about her.  I am sorry you had a negative experience.  Perhaps buy the drink pkg next time and book a suite?

WE were on Indy in Jan and leaving on another on Monday.  Jan was our six cruise on the Great Lady and we had no problem areas at all. We were in a grand in Jan and Jr. for monday and all other times. This will be our 72nd. cruise .  Bob & Nancy

Edited by villager70

On 4/22/2019 at 11:36 PM, deliver42 said:

I'm so tired of the Diamond and Diamond+ saying they are not given the "respect" they deserve. You get what everyone else gets, plus what you are entitle to. Nothing more, and nothing less.

I quite agree and both my wife and I appreciate the extras that RCI give us for loyalty to the line. What sort of non respect are these people complaining about Deliver42?

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 3:13 PM, villager70 said:

WE were on Indy in Jan and leaving on another on Monday.  Jan was our six cruise on the Great Lady and we had no problem areas at all. We were in a grand in Jan and Jr. for monday and all other times. This will be our 72nd. cruise .  Bob & Nancy

We are sailing on the Independence next January,  March and April.

Do they do anything special for Suite Guests?

Is there any food available in the Suite Lounge during lunch time?

Have not sailed on the Independence since 12-2016.

Thank you

On 4/22/2019 at 2:38 PM, Mwaldron said:

My adult daughter and I just got off a cruise on the Independence. First of all, I paid more for this 5 day cruise than some 7 day ones. Embarkation was slower than slow. Im Diamond plus and and was shown no consideration. They corral you into a seating area and we waited 1.5 hours to board. On boarding, the first thing I noticed was dirty rugs and scuffed floors. Not a good first impression. We found a seat on deck to sun in at 8:00 am and went to eat for approximately 15 minutes. When we returned, pool staffed had placed s chain with a sign saying, reserved for suite guests. Well, the sign was not there when we first came but they proceeded to throw us out ( Im Diamond plus remember). At this point the deck was crowded. So much for the no reserving seats rule. Let me see, this was my 40th cruise. Im sure Ive spent as much as suite guests. If you’re going to have a rule, it should apply to everyone. Staff was great. The food was ok, not exceptional. The drinks are getting way too expensive. But I think they do this to push you towards purchasing a package. Plus, the drinks seemed watered down. Looks like I need to reconsider where my loyalty lies.

The moral of this story maybe is:

a) arrive at the correct boarding time and not early

b) if the weather is at all inclement on boarding days, old rugs are placed over good ones to keep them clean

c) if you boarded at 8:00 am you were not entitled (officially) to have breakfast

d) depending on the number of passengers on each cruise, areas are sometimes "chained off" for suite passengers.

e) congrats on being able to take 40 cruises, however, you are just a baby compared to some Pinnacle members who have sailed over 100 cruises

f) As Forest Gump said "Life is like a box of chocolates" i.e. you gets what you pay for and like flying first class on a plane, the cost bears no resemblance to the overall experience. Suite passengers pay a hefty premium per cruise to occupy a larger and more luxurious cabin, but everything else is the same as what even inside passengers get. What little perks suite passengers do get, like special designated areas on deck and theatres, which by the way RCI don't like doing, as it offends some people, gets a thumbs up from me.

g) the money you have paid for 40 cruises may well exceed what someone else is paying for a stay in a suite - I put it too you though, would you rather have sailed to the places you've seen, met the hundreds of new friends you have done, ate the thousands of quality meals you have eaten, seen the hundreds of shows etc. etc etc. attaining the Diamond + status you are now - or be on your first cruise ever in a suite, with all that entails (which is not much in the scheme of things)?????

Edited by peterhof
  • Like 4

On 4/22/2019 at 9:38 AM, Mwaldron said:

What exactly does Diamond + have to do with seating in a suites only area? Who cares if you are D+ for that issue?

Also, it does not matter that you have "spent as much as a suite guest" over 40 cruises vs. their 1 cruise. In what world does that math make any sense to come out to you being equal, in the eyes of RCI?

Edited by Mikew0805
  • Like 5

On 4/22/2019 at 7:38 AM, Mwaldron said:

We were on the same cruise (7 cabins). We are also Diamond Plus and were in a suite. One of our parties was on B2B from the cruise before and even the B2B cruisers had a very long wait. Something had happened where law enforcement was called on board as they saw several law enforcement come off as they were allowed to go on board. I always taught my kids that I would rather wait for the emergency than BE the emergency. It was frustrating having to wait, but we all (except the b2b family) waited together and once on board had the most wonderful cruise.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2019 at 9:38 AM, Mwaldron said:

When they threw you out of the suite only area did you say to them, "Do you know who I am?" 

You speak of rules and how they should be applied to everyone yet you spoke of being Diamond plus more than once and how you expected preferential treatment. Sounds contradicting to me and a little arrogant. We get Perks with the loyalty program, not special consideration. The perks for suite guests were the special seating. Yours are free drinks and a lifetime of memories on your 40 cruises. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

When they threw you out of the suite only area did you say to them, "Do you know who I am?" 

You speak of rules and how they should be applied to everyone yet you spoke of being Diamond plus more than once and how you expected preferential treatment. Sounds contradicting to me and a little arrogant. We get Perks with the loyalty program, not special consideration. The perks for suite guests were the special seating. Yours are free drinks and a lifetime of memories on your 40 cruises. 

Besides the evening C&A HH drinks there are other great perks. If the ship has a CL diamond plus get to us it as well as the DL. Also as diamond plus we get reserved seating in the theater and in Studio B for the ice show. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 2:38 PM, Mwaldron said:

So you want special treatment for being ‘Diamond Plus’ (as I suspect literally THOUSANDS of people are), but you DON’T feel suite guests should have any special treatment (i.e. reserved sun beds)? Also, you moan about ‘so much for the reserved seating rule’, but also moan when they threw you out of the RESERVED suite section? Seems you want all the good bits but don’t want anyone else to have them! 

Edited by shopaholic6
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, davekathy said:

Besides the evening C&A HH drinks there are other great perks. If the ship has a CL diamond plus get to us it as well as the DL. Also as diamond plus we get reserved seating in the theater and in Studio B for the ice show. 

I know we get plenty of perks. I was trying to make a point to the OP.