Icelandair online booking

NW Pacific

Am planning to use Icelandair for flight from PDX to CPH. October this year.  Found out it does cost $30. per person to do over the phone.  Have talked with phone reps. , very nice and informative, but did say when I asked about selecting my sets online, I would probably encounter an error msg. and would need to call them for seat assignments.  thought that was strange, but glad for the info.  I have tried to do a mock booking, and found their site not easy to get through, but that may be just me.  Anyone have experience with booking online with them, and what did you encounter.  Have read terrible reviews about Iceland Air, but must say have called them twice and was able to talk with an agent within a minute.

We have flown Icelandair twice and booked on-line. My recollection is that if I encountered a problem I would phone a rep and they would complete the booking (probably seat selection) at no charge. Flights were simple but comfortable. Food was for purchase and enjoyable. If you can, do one of their stopovers in Iceland --amazing place. 

We have flown on Iceland Air several times over the past 5 years and have done all the booking through their on-line site. Found the site fairly straight forward to use, including seat selection and other options.

Their planes are usually older 757's and as such offer limited seating choices.

We'll be flying with them again in a couple of weeks - to Copenhagen and return in June.

It may not be the easiest website in the world, but it generally works with up-to-date browsers. My wife consistently has trouble using her phone (both Chrome and included Samsung browser, which she tends to be lax about ensuring are the most recent versions) but I've never failed to get it to work on my PC with FireFox.

NB: you do need to whitelist/turn off Script-blockers/Ad-blockers (and some of the 'behind the scenes' processing happens on .is sites, so if you are on .com adblockers can cause trouble if you are using temporary authorization of specific scripts rather than just a blanket 'let all scripts run for now' option).

the luggage size dimensions are causing quite a headache, believe me carry on luggage that meets their requirements, that hold anything, are scarce.  Daughter flew Iceland in January this year, and they made everyone put carry on in a sizer.  YUK.  Have another 30 days to bite the  bullet for cruise and then air arrangements.   Have learned the hard way, not to check everything, keep as much as possible within your control!!! l  

Luggage allowance does depend on travel class.

Checked luggage up to 50 lbs (23 kg)- Total size (length + width + height) of a checked bag may not exceed 62 inches (158 cm), including handles and wheels.  If traveling in Saga Premium the extra bag may weigh up to 70 lbs (32 kg).
Your carry-on bag must fit in the overhead bin.  Maximum dimensions: 21.6 x 15.7 x 7.8 inches (55 x 40 x 20 cm), including handles and wheels. The maximum weight is 22 lb (10 kg). 
In addition, passengers can bring on board 1 small item such as a handbag, backpack or laptop bag that must fit under the seat in front of you.  
Maximum dimensions of the small item: 15.7 x 11.8 x 5.9 inches (40 x 30 x 15 cm). 

• 2 weeks later...

Now booked, but have been reading reviews,  do just dissatisfied people post the horrible reviews?? Does anyone have good experience with Icelandair.  Would really appreciate some positive comments, it will be what it is, but just wondering,  we are in Saga Class, so the food issue am not worried about.  Last minute cancellations and luggage does cause red flags!

On 5/5/2019 at 9:32 PM, NW Pacific said:

Booked online using firefox, no problems.  whew, glad that's a done deal now

We've flown on IcelandAir several times and have never had any issues.

In fact we just flew from NA to Europe with them yesterday. Two flights without any concerns.

9 hours ago, NW Pacific said:

Now booked, but have been reading reviews,  do just dissatisfied people post the horrible reviews?? Does anyone have good experience with Icelandair.  Would really appreciate some positive comments, it will be what it is, but just wondering,  we are in Saga Class, so the food issue am not worried about.  Last minute cancellations and luggage does cause red flags!

Generally, people with complaints tend to write reviews about flights. How many times have you had a good flight and thought to write a review about it?

Icelandair is fine. They're by no means the greatest airline in the world. If you fly Business Class, they can be down right below average (at least as far as a hard product goes). But they're fine...odds are you'll get to your destination on time, safely, and comfortably enough considering many people book them to save money (and thus it's unfair to expect Singapore Airlines First Class experiences at Icelandair Economy prices).

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/17/2019 at 12:51 AM, NW Pacific said:

Saga Class via Icelandair is a good thing but they're known to lose or misroute luggage. Dad was coming in from Glasgow last year using Saga, they lost his luggage but were quick to compensate him after we sent them scanned receipts of the clothes and sundries he had to buy. A week later after arriving they delivered his case to our home. Also, Icelandair, particularly during late fall and winter months, will shut down complete air traffic on and off of Iceland due the high winds. We lived there four years and it was horrific blowing winds where even our military flights were halted. Otherwise, the airline has indeed faltered a bit in quality and no longer feed passengers in steerage class as they used to. We stopped flying Icelandair and chose either American or KLM, both of which are better, IMO.

10 hours ago, johnjen said:

Saga Class via Icelandair is a good thing but they're known to lose or misroute luggage. Dad was coming in from Glasgow last year using Saga, they lost his luggage ...

Is Icelandair any worse than any other airline for this (given that all airlines are "known to lose or misroute luggage")? Are there any published statistics about it?

4 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Is Icelandair any worse than any other airline for this (given that all airlines are "known to lose or misroute luggage")? Are there any published statistics about it?

I personally haven't heard any stories about Icelandair being more or less frequent about misplacing luggage...so I wouldn't say it's too "known".

We (four of us) flew on Icelandair last week and had no problems. All our checked luggage arrived.  I did not see anyone having any carry-on luggage issues. None of ours was checked or weighed. We were served drinks and food could be purchased. We only had a 2 hour flight so not an issue for us. The flight attendants were so nice on our flight! I would use them again.

On 6/13/2019 at 4:36 AM, Globaliser said:

I don't really know, but one problem I've observed at Keflavik is the close proximity in timing of landing aircraft with connecting flights within 15 - 20 minutes or so. But it's much more than missing luggage, it's the complete halting of meals for economy unless it's paid for and they eliminated comfort economy which IMO was a greedy move by them. I am hoping Icelandair makes changes for the better, we might return to them one day as we'd like to go back there for a visit.

I've flown on Icelandair several times in the past few years.  The first time we flew with them we were about to board in Seattle and they were having everyone put their carry on in the sizer.  Mine didn't fit and I'd never been told it was too big, and I travel a lot!  Hubby and I got my medical equipment and other valuables out of it and traded off for some things in his carry on, and they checked my bag.  Once we boarded that flight I understood why they had to restrict the carry on size - This plane, and I have no idea what kind it was - had the smallest overhead compartments of any aircraft I'd ever been in!  We haven't encountered this again on any of our other Icelandair flights, and I've taken that same bag that was taken away from me the first time on all of the subsequent flights.  I think they must have a couple of oddball planes with the tiny overhead compartments.  I wouldn't be too concerned about your carry on. 😊

Many thanks for replies.   One more question for those that have flown from US, going through Iceland.  Know, or have been told that checked bags will go through to Copenhagen, but do we have to go through security, again, after getting off plane, before we go to next flight leaving for CPH?  Have mixed stories about that?  Connection times are tight, so wondering about experiences.  am sure I am over thinking this to extreme, but,  hoping for a  great trip.   

20 hours ago, NW Pacific said:

Many thanks for replies.   One more question for those that have flown from US, going through Iceland.  Know, or have been told that checked bags will go through to Copenhagen, but do we have to go through security, again, after getting off plane, before we go to next flight leaving for CPH?  Have mixed stories about that?  Connection times are tight, so wondering about experiences.  am sure I am over thinking this to extreme, but,  hoping for a  great trip.   

Passengers passing through Iceland on their way to Europe will have to go through passport control. Normally moves fairly fast, but I have seen it take over a half an hour to clear. 🤬

Is passport control equivalent to going through TSA in the States., Shoes off,  carry on bags  and passengers through xray screening, ?  or do you just show passport?    Our connection is 1 hr., 40 minutes, and that's if we arrive on time, that's a big IF, but I guess the airlines, hopefully pad time, lol.