Review of the Excellent Club Orange experience on the Koningsdam

Fredrik

Koningsdam 9nt 20th-29th April 2019.

We stayed in a Vista Suite but decided to add Club Orange when it became available and we are so happy we did. A part from the priority boarding which was very helpful, I cannot really say that the other perks was of such a value BUT the entire restaurant experience both for breakfast and dinner was absolutely amazing so I will focus the review on that. The service is fast, really good, but also very relaxed. It really shows that the crew enjoy working at the place and overall it has a club feel. Loved the open seating with absolutely no wait time either at breakfast or dinner. It truly was a walk in and get service right away. Were got invited to Pinnacle on day 8 and it was so so. Service lacked and food was ok and we really missed Club orange.

Chef keeping the kitchen absolute spot-less which is nice in an open kitchen environment 

IMG_5378.thumb.jpeg.10a651e770aef6c2e55fc704ede6e002.jpeg

For breakfast complimentary mimosas are served but we enjoyed the cappuccinos a bit more 😉 First night a glass of bubbly was served in the evening. The two high tops towards the open kitchen gives you an excellent view of what the chef is cooking up and we had some great conversations with the chef also. For the breakfast it's basically the breakfast menu served in the MDR, but the food felt fresher, warmer and it was nice seeing the food come directly from the chef a couple of feet away.

The evening menu is the same as in the MDR with the exception of a wonderful MacNCheese and the daily special. The always steak/chicken/salmon is also prepared a la minute, and that is a big take away from this. Everything is served right off the grill/stove/whatever and it makes customization really easy.

The best part is the daily special and for the 9nt it started with the Peruvian chicken (probably one of my all-time favorite dishes) and with new dishes for seven nights we started over on day 8 with the same Peruvian chicken so the order below is the order we received the dishes. I would highly recommend Club Orange and for the fortunate enough sailing in Neptune and Pinnacle this is a real enhancement to the dining experience. I would absolutely book it again and in the end I felt the 50USD upcharge was worth it.

7nt menu

Peruvian chicken

Braised short ribs mole

Pork chop baby tomahawk

Cream linguine with shrimp

Scallops with grits

Short ribs with polenta

Coq au vin

Chef and the Peruvian Chicken

IMG_5381.thumb.jpeg.2ef16a6f817bfa58e0ef3f0e2c66e3df.jpeg

IMG_5379.thumb.jpeg.89de4f92a9f6678572ccb2c03ece3f66.jpeg

Braised short ribs mole

IMG_5402.thumb.jpeg.63a5e47b2c4b77458a32d809082c4d19.jpeg

Pork chop baby tomahawk

IMG_5459.thumb.jpeg.19ecd1edd98a1eb8e9a4582997b92e2a.jpeg

Cream linguine with shrimp

IMG_5489.thumb.jpeg.f53e298745a26a8b96577586ce2073f3.jpeg

Scallops with grits

IMG_5510.thumb.jpeg.84303fe38d20d145b8b76fed21e1265d.jpeg

Short ribs with polenta

IMG_5551.thumb.jpeg.1c28989dd0a01ecc1da2909dba35fd00.jpeg

Coq au vin

IMG_5594.thumb.jpeg.4a3681fd359b93e868a0d5c9952c2fc0.jpeg

Edited by Fredrik
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My husband enjoyed Club Orange on our Christmas cruise. I am not a breakfast person, and since we were traveling with a family group did not go for dinner.

Some of us do enjoy the "watching the chef prepare our meal."

• Like 5

Thank you for the photos of the food.  It looks like more inventive food than the good ole' MDR.   Personally, I LOVE to sit in an open kitchen!!  I love to watch the interaction of the staff and how everything is made.  I've had some great conversations with the cooks while watching them do their thing.   Best place was at Jose Andres' The Bazaar at the SLS hotel in Beverly Hills.  I was sitting at the chef's counter.  Got to watch the chef do amazing tapas, make molecular "cherry tomatoes", and so much more.  She ended up giving me tastes of some things that I was not getting with my 15 course tasting menu.  One of the best meals I've ever had!!

I get bored quickly waiting in a dining room for the food.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I get bored quickly waiting in a dining room for the food.  

I can't agree more with you. When I am sitting in the MDR for almost 2 hours, I get extremely bored waiting. I am looking forward to trying CO on NS in June. I think it will at a little entertainment. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, qoap24 said:

I can't agree more with you. When I am sitting in the MDR for almost 2 hours, I get extremely bored waiting. I am looking forward to trying CO on NS in June. I think it will at a little entertainment. 

Yep.  It's not like it's a haute cuisine experience in the MDR. To me, it's boring faux theater.   I like some visual stimulation!!

Still dreaming of the Peruvian chicken in CO on the Koningsdam. We were lucky enough to have it twice on our 10 day. Happy to hear you enjoyed the concept as much as we did and thanks for posting photos.     

Looking forward to trying it on my upcoming cruise! I booked the ultimate dining package for the 5 specialty restaurants, so between those and club orange, it should be a nice mix over the 12 nights of the cruise.  

• 4 months later...
On 5/5/2019 at 11:07 AM, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Interesting, now I'm wishing we had paid $200 pp more for Neptune over Signature, on our 5 night coastal, when it was cheaper.  I thought the only benefit was a larger room.

Are you saying that Neptune Suites include the Club Orange package too?

21 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Yes, Neptune suites get CO. 

I was wondering about this so I just checked the HAL website for Neptune Suite perks and it did not say that Club Orange was included. I'm not saying you are wrong...it's very possible that the website is just not up to date. Anyone else?

LOVED our memorable dining CO experience on the Koningsdam. We were in a Neptune so it was included. Agree w Miss G not sure how the concept could or would translate to a non-Pinnacle ship without a designated dining space. As 4*'s that are not fans of the MDR either the only extra perk for us in CO was the cooked to order dining which we felt was extraordinary for both breakfasts and dinners. So much so that when we sail the K again if in a lower Cat we would seriously consider the going rate for the up charge to CO just for the breakfast dining and for the evenings of wonderful service, excellent food in an open kitchen. I know some people will say save your money and eat at the specialty restaurants for less. Although we always enjoy Tamarind, Pinnacle, etc. CO won us over on the K.             

• Like 2

This may have already been answered if so please excuse my lazy mind for not doing a search😉  Is there a standard cost per day? Do you have to book for the entire cruise? Does CO have to be booked before your cruise starts?  

Thanks...