Specialty Restaurant Pricing

Hi all, 

Hoping to get some "inside" information from those of you that book specialty dining on a regular basis.  DH and I have cruised many times, but rarely have opted for specialty dining. Our upcoming cruise is a B2B (first B2B on Celebrity) and we are considering dining in a Specialty Restaurant two days of the second leg.  We tend to eat early, around 6ish and Blu is our assigned venue.  

- The first day would be the "First" night of the second leg; know that Celebrity always offers reduced prices for the "First" night; current online advertised price is $30.00 pp for the Tuscan Grille.  Is this the lowest I can expect to pay for the Tuscan Grille or, in your experience, will there be better onboard specials?  Additionally, for those that have done B2Bs on Celebrity in the past, have they offered repeat cruisers an even better price for the "First" night of the second leg?    

- The second day would be most likely be on a port day.  I know you can negotiate prices with the Maître d', but am wondering what type of prices I can expect to negotiate for?  Thinking about doing Lawn Club Grill for a sail away.

BL:  What are your personal experiences in regard to specialty dining pricing?  Apologize if this question is too personal.

Linda

The $30 price for the first night represents a 33% discount and it unlikely you could negotiate more.  In fact I tried to book Tuscan for the first night on a upcoming cruise and the earliest time we could get was 9:30.  

As for whether or not you can get a discount for the Lawn Grill will depend upon how busy the restaurants are.  Our most recent cruise the ship didn’t have the LG but no discounts for either Murano or Tuscan.   LePetit Chef was offering 20% off.  

We got to Murano as soon as we boarded the Reflection (about 10 to 15 mins after the gangway opened) and received 50% off for the first night. A line developed while we were there and friends who boarded about half an hour later were not able to get a reservation even without a discount.

FWIW, Murano was a far better experience for us. The Tuscan had good food, but the staff repeatedly ignored our table of 2 to attend to larger groups. We were the second table seated, but only the 5th to get either water or a wine order (and that happened only because I grabbed a waiter going to a table of 6).  

The discounts are offered on the fist night and are at 9:00 PM or 9:30 PM because most do not like eating that late. If you want earlier. You will need to book when you get on board. 6:00 PM will usually be available but not for the discount price. Very seldom is the discount available for early dining,

On Reflection, when dining in Blu we've been offered as much as 50% off the first night, (without even asking for a discount) but most times it's 30-35%. I agree with mayleeman that the dining in Murano is far and away the best dining venue on the ship. We skip Tuscan altogether. We find that it's neither true Italian, nor a true steakhouse, and the view offered in Tuscan is not all that different than the view in Blu. Since you mentioned Lawn Club, I'm assuming that you're sailing on Reflection or Silhouette. We dine in Murano often on the first night of cruises, book it on board on embarkation day. We've sometimes only been offered 9:00PM, but most times we can get 8:00. We don't mind late dining since we're night owls anyway.

My message to the OP, based on quite a lot of experience, is that everything is negotiable.  We have eaten dozens of meals in Celebrity alternative restaurants and never paid full price except for one special occasion in Murano.  So what to do?  Quietly make is clear that you want a nice discount (we usually ask for half price).  You can do this by going to the restaurant (when its quiet) and quietly asking the person at the door.  Sometimes you will be "accosted" near the entrance to the Lido, by staff marketing the alternative restaurants.  When they do this I always tease them that we will consider it for half price.  Sometimes it will take a few days of interaction before a deal is made...and other times we will quickly get a discount (usually 30%).  If they refuse a discount we make it clear we are still interested and they should let us know if and when they can give us a discount :). For us it is not a game but simply serious negotiations.  We like some of the alternative restaurants (the Tuscan is our least favorite of all the restaurants) but do not think they are worth the price that is charged by X.  But with a significant discount we think they are worth the money.  This is especially true for Murano :).

Hank

On 5/7/2019 at 11:19 AM, twodaywonder said:

The discounts are offered on the fist night and are at 9:00 PM or 9:30 PM because most do not like eating that late. If you want earlier. You will need to book when you get on board. 6:00 PM will usually be available but not for the discount price. Very seldom is the discount available for early dining,

I have gotten earlier times with the first night discount booking, I think I waited too late this time and earlier times were booked. 

A year in advance? I also was able to book at 6:00 PM but not every time. Usually Royal and Princess. Carnival weather booking prior or on the ship. The steak house is $34.00 including gratuity and the steaks are excellent. The ship I was referring to was the EDGE that charges $55.00 pp $35.00 ebook early for the steakhouse. A savings of $40.00 for two. Far closer to normal price. All specialty dining on the EDGE are way out of line. When I went to book as soon as we got on the ship, which is right next to where you enter the ship. 6:00 PM was available but then I was told there are no discounts offered. 

At the B2B meeting for continuing passengers on the Solstice, 3 meals for next cruise (all one or any combo) was $99 and they threw in "Lunch with the Greeks" - a Greek themed meal with Captain and Officers in Tuscan on last sea day.  That meal was probably the best of the cruise- whole broiled Mediterranean Sea Bass was one of the choices.  So effectively, 4 specialty meals for $99/pp

• Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 9:05 AM, JerseyGirlatHeart said:

Hi all, 

Hoping to get some "inside" information from those of you that book specialty dining on a regular basis.  DH and I have cruised many times, but rarely have opted for specialty dining. Our upcoming cruise is a B2B (first B2B on Celebrity) and we are considering dining in a Specialty Restaurant two days of the second leg.  We tend to eat early, around 6ish and Blu is our assigned venue.  

- The first day would be the "First" night of the second leg; know that Celebrity always offers reduced prices for the "First" night; current online advertised price is $30.00 pp for the Tuscan Grille.  Is this the lowest I can expect to pay for the Tuscan Grille or, in your experience, will there be better onboard specials?  Additionally, for those that have done B2Bs on Celebrity in the past, have they offered repeat cruisers an even better price for the "First" night of the second leg?    

- The second day would be most likely be on a port day.  I know you can negotiate prices with the Maître d', but am wondering what type of prices I can expect to negotiate for?  Thinking about doing Lawn Club Grill for a sail away.

BL:  What are your personal experiences in regard to specialty dining pricing?  Apologize if this question is too personal.

Linda

We have had no problems booking earlier times with a discount.  We get 30% the first night and we dine at 6:00. or 6:30.   As for prices, we get $35 for Murano and $30 for Tuscan Grill.  We have gotten Tuscan Grill  for $25 on a port day.  

If there is a large group on the ship, discounts can be limited.  On other cruises, there may be aggressive pricing.  Supply and demand.