Sorry another question about tips

I would like to cancel tips for one of us in cabin and pay the other half to staff that have given me good service.we are booked on mtd so not sure if you can cancel tips when you do anytime dining.would be grateful if someone could answer this.

thank you sylvia

You do not have to prepay tips with My Time (anytime) dining anymore.

So remove prepaid tips (if you have them) and then go to Guest Service once onboard and request to discontinue automatic tips for the guest who does not want to pay tips.

28 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Waiting 

How do you go to the laundry room to tip the crew member who washed your bed linen and towels and got them nice and clean?  I don't even know where the laundry room is on a ship.  

• Like 1

The really ethical thing would be to leave the tips in place and just give extra to those who go above and beyond for you. Otherwise you are stiffing some hard working crew. 

• Like 4

On 5/7/2019 at 5:14 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

I don’t tip the laundry room anywhere 

That is where part of your auto tip goes, removing tips and then tipping those that you deem worthy is also a losing deal for those you tip. When auto tips are removed the waitstaff and room steward are required to turn cash tips over to the pool. 

6 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

That is where part of your auto tip goes, removing tips and then tipping those that you deem worthy is also a losing deal for those you tip. When auto tips are removed the waitstaff and room steward are required to turn cash tips over to the pool. 

This is a myth, perpetuated on these and other forums, that no one knows the answer to; and frankly is of no concern to me.

For every post that says tips are pooled there is one that says they aren't. For every report of "my steward said they can keep the cash" there is one that says "I know for sure that they have to turn the cash in".

I seriously doubt you are getting 100% accurate information on this topic from anyone on board a ship, as they all have a vested interest one way or another in the answer that they give.

Edited by not-enough-cruising
continuation of thought
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

How do you know that part of the auto tips go to the laundry room personnel?  I'm not saying that it does or doesn't.  I'm just curious how you know.

So if I give cash to my room steward for an extra good job. They have to turn it into the pool? That makes no sense at all. So the ones that gets no tip for terrible work from a certain cruiser gets part of the cash I give to the great steward? 

7 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

So if I give cash to my room steward for an extra good job. They have to turn it into the pool? That makes no sense at all. So the ones that gets no tip for terrible work from a certain cruiser gets part of the cash I give to the great steward? 

As not-enough-cruising stated above, nobody (or everybody) has a definitive answer on this. 

• Like 1

Just found this.

On Celebrity, the mandatory tip was $14.50 per person per day, so the total tip bill based on double occupancy came out to be $435 for a 15 day cruise, so her cut was about $109.00  or $2,600 per year. If they worked on the ship for a year. That is for one room. Assigned the usual 16 rooms to clean, so that works out to $41,600 per year in tips. If the base is $500.00 a month that now comes out to $47,600.00 a for 12 months. They say it is a 12 hour 7 day job. less than $11.00 an hour. 

Confused about the 12 hours a day. What do they do when they are not there? I can understand a super crazy morning on debarkation day.

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

Well, it can happen....in this case it doesn't apply to a cruise ship but my daughter (18 at the time) worked at a laser tag place here in Florida (company based out of the country; Canada I think) and she got fired about 5 month ago for NOT pooling her tips.  She was the host of a party and did all the work but their policy is all tips must be turned in and that money goes towards "staff outings/parties"  It's not like they have other people helping out (preparing food, busing tables, or assisting in any way)  It is one person per party. and that person takes the groups into play tag which is already being marshaled by staff already there for walk-ins

Edited by Mr. Candyman

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

I liked it the old way. Envelops and handing it to whom you wanted to. A smile and saying a job well done. A personal way of saying thank you. It is so cold now. Hate it.

Thats still how I do it, I just bring my own envelopes from home.  Just like the old days.

• Like 3

On 5/7/2019 at 7:49 PM, Snit13 said:

How do you go to the laundry room to tip the crew member who washed your bed linen and towels and got them nice and clean?  I don't even know where the laundry room is on a ship.  

I don’t bring my laundry with me on vacation. They are actually washing the sheets and towels owned by the cruise line and provided to the customer to use as part of the fare. 

Same thing with their dishes.  Serving food on dirty plates wouldn’t go over well. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Candyman said:

Well, it can happen....in this case it doesn't apply to a cruise ship but my daughter (18 at the time) worked at a laser tag place here in Florida (company based out of the country; Canada I think) and she got fired about 5 month ago for NOT pooling her tips.  She was the host of a party and did all the work but their policy is all tips must be turned in and that money goes towards "staff outings/parties"  It's not like they have other people helping out (preparing food, busing tables, or assisting in any way)  It is one person per party. and that person takes the groups into play tag which is already being marshaled by staff already there for walk-ins

You said "their policy is all tips must be turned in".  Did she not do this?