GUEST BEHAVIOUR - WHEN SHOULD CRUISE LINE STEP IN??

Shih-tzu

8 minutes ago, thistimeplease said:

Tells a lot about a person how they reply to someone who disagrees with them.  The OP never stated the woman was drunk, that is something you are assuming and we only have the OP's word that others complained.  

What more proof do you need? The original poster said this obnoxiously loud and vulgar woman spent much of her time at the bar. If you somehow want to believe she sat there drinking water and that made her belligerent then you caan go on living in that alternate reality ...... Because sober people are usually found hanging at the bar yelling obscenities...... SMH ......

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Njkc said:

So we just had a similar experience with a few passengers on the breakaway. They were loud, obnoxious and extremely rude to the staff. Anytime they were near us they were so loud and obnoxious and they would butt into our conversation. They seem to always be around us. My problem is I’m on vacation and really don’t want to be confrontational. So we would always just try to change venues when they were around. Unfortunately it really did affect our cruise, and i’ll probably take a break from cruising for a while because of it. What I did notice was these people all seemed to be ‘last minute cruise deal’ people which I think is a bummer that these people are paying half what I paid and putting a damper on my vacation.

That is seriously insulting to all the last minute cruise people.  I happen to be one and know MANY others.  Most of us going on a sailaway rate don't have the drink package, because those rates don't come with perks so must of us are all sober for the whole cruise.  Imagine that, going on a cruise for other reasons than to drink 24/7.  Many of us are solo cruisers and going last minute is the only way we don't have to pay for 2.  Sorry you paid too much for your vacation, and hope you enjoyed your perks.  You have no idea what the loud and obnoxious paid for their cruise.  Unless they tell you.  Even then they could be telling tall tails.   

OP.  Next time hit up the Hotel Director.  Let them know what's going on and see what options they have on the matter.  They genuinely want everyone to have a good time.

• Like 2

Seems as if every cruise, on every cruise line I’ve ever taken, has one (or even a few) passengers like the OP described.  Again, a cruise is really a microcosm of people on land.  If they’re obnoxious on land, they’ll certainly emphasize that being on a ship in a more confined area.

Cruise lines HATE to deal with unruly passengers.  They want everyone to have fun and get along.  But, if it gets bad enough, and enough passengers complain, they will step in.  I tend to avoid areas where those people hang out.  It sounded like she was mainly in the smoking area of one of the pool bars.  I wouldn’t be anywhere near that area to begin with because I don’t smoke.  So, I would have avoided that person.

BTW....I normally book last minute.  Does that make me some sort of an “undesirable”?  Judge much?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

What more proof do you need? The original poster said this obnoxiously loud and vulgar woman spent much of her time at the bar. If you somehow want to believe she sat there drinking water and that made her belligerent then you caan go on living in that alternate reality ...... Because sober people are usually found hanging at the bar yelling obscenities...... SMH ......

There is no proof of anything just a statement from the OP and yes there are people who sit at a bar and drink water, my dh and I are two of them but we actually drink diet soda.  We enjoy the entertainment on the ships and usually these areas involve a bar.  You have a right to your opinion as do I.  I just don't think we can throw people off a ship or complain to a ship's officer because we don't like someone's behavior.  For the third and last time there is always walking to another area on the ship where someone's perceived bad behavior won't bother us. SMH, lol 

34 minutes ago, Njkc said:

I know because they told me, and everyone one else near them, multiple times throughout the cruise, loudly comparing how much they paid with other passengers. They also didn't have the drink package, again, I know this because they told me and everyone else near them. The one man also said he "made a good living." He said this after complaining that his wife shouldn't "bite the had that feed her." (he was such a lovely man) So It didn't seem to have anything to do with "wealth" From what they told everyone around them, they hop on last minute cruise deals all of the time and then expect to be treated like royalty. My biggest issue is that they were openly rude to the staff while paying almost nothing to get on the cruise and affecting others experience. Maybe this is the reason there are so many complaints that the crew is miserable. Because they have people screaming "hey buddy get me a mudslide" at them.....

I am a last minute sail away cruiser, I am frugal, I am deplorable and an undesirable, ok you got me there. (but I paid my own way through college and would never think that some other tax payer should have paid college tuition for me)   However I dont bother anyone, I am respectful to the staff and other passengers.  You barely hear a word out of me,  but I cant stop cruising it is just to economical.  Sorry,  have a great day

Edited by Newleno
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Newleno said:

I am a last minute sail away cruiser, I am frugal, I am deplorable and an undesirable, ok you got me there. (but I paid my own way through college and would never think that some other tax payer should have paid college tuition for me)   However I dont bother anyone, I am respectful to the staff and other passengers.  You barely hear a word out of me, I do apologize for being in your presence to some degree but I cant stop cruising it is just to economical.  Sorry have a great day

We met alot of last minute cruise deal people that were awesome. One of them I'm now friends with on FB. Clearly not all last minute cruise deal people are like this. Life is not that polarizing. I bet you would have been awesome to hang with on this cruise and be just as shocked at these people's behavior. 

2 minutes ago, thistimeplease said:

There is no proof of anything just a statement from the OP and yes there are people who sit at a bar and drink water, my dh and I are two of them but we actually drink diet soda.  We enjoy the entertainment on the ships and usually these areas involve a bar.  You have a right to your opinion as do I.  I just don't think we can throw people off a ship or complain to a ship's officer because we don't like someone's behavior.  For the third and last time there is always walking to another area on the ship where someone's perceived bad behavior won't bother us. SMH, lol 

We need more people like you to come to the defense and rescue of loud, vulgar, drunk passengers and shake a finger at those being offended by it like the OP..... Said no one ever ......... Tell them they may be the offensive one? Tell them to go elsewhere? Tell them that the woman’s behavior isn’t real but “just her opinion”.  That’s just nonsense ...... but you do have a right to your opinion, I agree. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

We need more people like you to come to the defense and rescue of loud, vulgar, drunk passengers and shake a finger at those being offended by it like the OP..... Said no one ever ......... Tell them they may be the offensive one? Tell them to go elsewhere? Tell them that the woman’s behavior isn’t real but “just her opinion”.  That’s just nonsense ...... but you do have a right to your opinion, I agree. 

🤣🤣🤣

15 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

There's no law against abusive language, including swearing. 

I wouldn't be too sure about that, especially in the presence of minors.

• Like 2

While not on NCL, a few years ago my family and I were sailing on the Celebrity Solstice.  At the time they had glass blowing exhibits and would offer some of the different pieces made of the glass they finished while doing the demonstrations.

They sold them via bids.  A couple of the pieces were bid up to well into 5 figures (which really shocked most who were watching the bids.

There was this one lady, who was clearly “over served” who was causing most of the run ups in the sale prices.  She never bought anything, but was right there to bid when someone was obviously trying to buy a piece by aggressively bidding.

When the bidding was over, there was a confrontation between the lady driving up the bids and the person who was trying to purchase them.  Tuned into a shouting match that took up the better part of an hour before security finally came.

I found it entertaining.  But, anyone with sensitive ears would probably have looked to get off at the next port.

One persons definition of vulgar and offensive will differ from another's.  Without being there, I can't judge the OP or the woman.  My recommendation for anyone would be, if you are offended by someone, go somewhere else and avoid that individual.  Its a large ship with a ton to do.  I'm not sure the ship can or should do anything about someone's perception of offensive language.  With so many people from very diverse backgrounds and upbringings, I don't think it is a cruise line's place to police language - who gets to determine what is appropriate and what is not?

• Like 1

If it was as bad, as folks on here have said, I wonder why someone just didn't yell out "watch your language, there are children here".  The offending woman wouldn't know who said it and it might have solved the issue.  

6 minutes ago, Stealthdog said:

One persons definition of vulgar and offensive will differ from another's.  Without being there, I can't judge the OP or the woman.  My recommendation for anyone would be, if you are offended by someone, go somewhere else and avoid that individual.  Its a large ship with a ton to do.  I'm not sure the ship can or should do anything about someone's perception of offensive language.  With so many people from very diverse backgrounds and upbringings, I don't think it is a cruise line's place to police language - who gets to determine what is appropriate and what is not?

Actually it is NCL's job.  They have a very clear Passenger Code of Conduct:

https://www.ncl.com/faq/guest-conduct-policy

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ray98 said:

I wouldn't be too sure about that, especially in the presence of minors.

You're absolutely correct. I was just reading the passenger conduct policy but see that CT has already posted it.  

I guess I've never been in a situation that would fall under this type of thing onboard.  It's a good thing to know for future reference.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention. 

10 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Actually it is NCL's job.  They have a very clear Passenger Code of Conduct:

https://www.ncl.com/faq/guest-conduct-policy

I think their code of conduct says if the language is directed at someone:

VERBALLY ABUSIVE OR OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE
Verbally abusive or offensive language directed toward anyone, to include guests, crew members, governmental officials, or others is not permitted.

So, if she was just using it in conversation, I don't think this would apply.

2 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Verbally abusive or offensive language directed toward anyone, to include guests, crew members, governmental officials, or others is not permitted.

I wondered the same thing, however, if she's being "abusive" to crew members, including bartenders, wouldn't that be directing it at someone?

Just sayin'... like I said I've never found myself in a situation like that. thankfully.. 😉

Edited by All-ready2cruise
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I wondered the same thing, however, if she's being "abusive" to crew members, including bartenders, wouldn't that be directing it at someone?

Just sayin'... like I said I've never found myself in a situation like that. thankfully.. 😉

It would, but the OP didn't say she was swearing at the crew.

Edited by NLH Arizona

9 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Agreed - that reads to me as verbally assaulting someone.  And isn't about having a vocabulary that someone else finds offensive.

Edited by Stealthdog

If a guest is sitting at the bar talking to a guest or a bartender and says "..and then 2 days ago, my mo**** fu***** car broke down. That POS has been trouble since day one. The G** Da** insurance on that car is f****** ridiculous...", the security team won't get involved no matter how many people complain. That's life.

It may be annoying but it isn't a violation of ship policy.

• Like 2

I get up and leave. Even though by your description she sounds like a vulgar attention seeker, she paid for her trip and is her prerogative to act as ridiculous as she wants. Unfortunately, very few people know the art of manners and decorum.....To each its own. IMHO.

26 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

If a guest is sitting at the bar talking to a guest or a bartender and says "..and then 2 days ago, my mo**** fu***** car broke down. That POS has been trouble since day one. The G** Da** insurance on that car is f****** ridiculous..."

Yeah but I did apologize when I noticed that females were present, sorry about that, and that mo****f****** car keeps breaking down on me! 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, thistimeplease said:

Sorry but I don't agree with most of the advice given.  Firstly, it was your opinion that this woman was loud and obnoxious but I have to wonder if everyone else felt that way as you have stated.  The ship is large enough that if someone is bothering you that much you can go somewhere else where it won't affect you. 

I agree with you.  In addition we only have one persons account of the situation (the second reply in this thread was another person who was on the same cruise and didn't notice it at all).  One persons "rude and obnoxious" is another persons normal way of speaking. I also take into account the large amount of hyperbole that is used on this message board on a daily basis in so many of the complaint threads.