What are "Sea Days" like in Alaska?

bronzey214

My fiance and I are scheduled for the Grand Princess on May 26th - we've only done Caribbean Cruises (and a Panama Canal cruise) before so we're not exactly sure what to expect with the sea days. I know part of the allure of Alaska is sailing the inside passage. I'm assuming that will kind of be like going through the canal - scenery on both sides.

However, for the actual "sea days" between Tracy Arm Fjord and Victoria as well as the day before Ketchikan - does it look like a traditional sea day outside? Ocean as far as the eye can see?

Just trying to plan for our relaxation days vs staying on deck for scenery. Thanks!

• Like 1

Yes, the first 2 days going up and when you leave Victoria heading south will be like standard sea days....but not the hanging out at the pools in 80 plus degree weather (unless you get really really lucky).  Day 8 between Ketchikan  and Victoria should be very scenic (unless socked in).  Although not in your original question...proper clothing makes a huge difference in Alaska as it is miserable to be cold.   Layer...waterproof / wind proof Jacket, or shell paired with fleece tops (warm and packs well).  In my opinion a great time to go...before school is out and the days are long.  Enjoy.  

When I sailed to Alaska last year; the sea days were fine.  You couldn't really swim in pool but you could sit outside in the sun. We saw whales; eagles along the water; so that was nice.  Weather outside was sunny and around 60 degrees.  We went mid July

Edited by AF-1

It depends largely on the ship's route.  If the ship is taking the inside passage, going up between islands, the trip is amazing!  Wonderful scenery, calm seas, and lots of whales (depending on the time of year).  Sea days on the inside passage is probably my favorite vacation spot in the world.

With that said, most sea days on SF-Alaska cruises seem to be in the open ocean (haven't been, but looking at maps).  These days are pretty unremarkable.  You're often too far out admire the land, and the seas can be choppy.  

You'll have a great cruise, and I'm adequately jealous.  🙂

The Grand has an indoor pool. Some passengers will lounge there and in the conservatory above it. If it's hot passengers will be at the outside lounges. The Terrace pool area should be busy. Nice aft views. There will be trivia games and other indoor activities.