IF I DON'T BUY CHEERS

Cruisegirl6

25 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Maybe you have had bad luck, but I have never encountered a problem asking for any type of alcohol (tequila, vodka, etc.) at any bar on any ship on 27 cruises on Carnival (one week to cruise 28!). 

Ok so have you ever ordered a pina colada and asked for it to be made with a specific brand of alcohol and they did it? I’ve never had luck with that. They say any drink like that they have to follow the recipe.

I don’t know why it’s so hard for everyone to understand. The OP is not saying that you can’t specify say a Jack and Coke or a Grey Goose and cranberry, they’re saying that if you order the signature drinks ie. funship, miami vice, kiss on the lips, pina colada.....they will not allow you to specify a specific brand of alcohol. I think that’s a Carnival policy fleet wide.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Ok so have you ever ordered a pina colada and asked for it to be made with a specific brand of alcohol and they did it? I’ve never had luck with that. They say any drink like that they have to follow the recipe.

I don’t know why it’s so hard for everyone to understand. The OP is not saying that you can’t specify say a Jack and Coke or a Grey Goose and cranberry, they’re saying that if you order the signature drinks ie. funship, miami vice, kiss on the lips, pina colada.....they will not allow you to specify a specific brand of alcohol. I think that’s a Carnival policy fleet wide.

Ok, so you are talking about drinks listed on a menu like the Sangria Swirl, the Cruiser, etc.  I have never had any issue when ordering drinks like margaritas, pina coladas, etc, but I don’t order a drink on a menu, like the blue margarita, for example. 

3 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

On our last cruise in February on the Elation, I asked for a Miami vice but to use Kraken said they couldn't do it wasn't part of the package, mentioned that it is under $20 they said they have to make the drink Carnivals "recipe" with the liquor that they suppose to use, same happened to my Black Russian,  I asked for absolute they said they couldn't give me that with the package it had to come with Tito's (I am allergic to Tito's give me one shot I get very nasty or silly and same with grand mariner).  So, when I ordered the Black Russian and unable to get absolute I asked if I can have a patron and orange juice and they said yes and that is what I had go figure...patron more costly than absolute!  

Our friends a month later went on the Liberty had the very same problem.

What if you order a virgin miami vice, then 5 mins later order a shot of Kracken and dump it in?

15 minutes ago, tigereye said:

Why would it matter to you what brand of liquor is in the drink if you are putting juice, sugar, etc. with it. you have killed the reason for buying top shelf.

The OP stated that she is allergic to Tito's.

29 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

I tried that they said Kraken is not given with the Cheers package, tried it at three bars.

Oh.  Hmm... must be more than $20/shot then.  It states specifically in their policy that ALL spirits are included up to $20.

That being said, I had my own issue with the bartenders and GS and Cheers on Liberty in April.  I hit 15 on day 1 about midnight, 12:30.  I didn't realize it until I tried to get another one at 1am, and the bartender said I was at 15.  So I got a diet coke instead.  The next day, when I tried to order #15, and I counted them from what was in the app, they said I was at 15.  I was at 15 total drinks (including the diet coke), but not 15 alcoholic drinks.  I even argued with the guy at GS for a little bit about it.  And the policy clearly states 15 alcoholic drinks, not 15 total drinks.  And...it also says 6am-6am, and from 6am day 2 until this point I had only had 14 total drinks.  I actually still need to call them to complain about that and find out what I need to do so I don't have any issues with that on my next sailing.

Glad you mentioned that and unfortunately that happened.  Guess we have to keep track of all the alcoholic drinks we have, its easy, I bring a cell phone (take photos and communicate with family onboard) so I guess I can put in my notes every time I get a drink so we have proof, I best also put the bar I got it at too maybe the time? 🤔

15 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Glad you mentioned that and unfortunately that happened.  Guess we have to keep track of all the alcoholic drinks we have, its easy, I bring a cell phone (take photos and communicate with family onboard) so I guess I can put in my notes every time I get a drink so we have proof, I best also put the bar I got it at too maybe the time? 🤔

The app keeps track, and the app was correct.  The bartenders and GS obviously do not understand how the program works.  The guy at GS literally said to me "it doesn't matter what you ordered, soda or alcoholic beverage, there is a maximum of 15 beverages" and that is not what the policy states.  I figured at the time they were all wrong, but I didn't have anything in print to show them, and I was starting to doubt myself as well.  Didn't want to cause a scene.  

Just off the Magic on May 11.  Hubby ordered bloody Mary's a few times and always specified the vodka of his choice.  He also tried a shot of tequila at the Blue Iguana Bar that was $17.50.  Even the bartender mentioned that ordering that tequila made the cheers price a bargain.  On our last night, we sat at the atrium bar and watched the bartender mixing six of the large jugs getting ready for the new set of passengers for the next day.  Not sure what is was she was making but she put in sky vodka, bacardi rum and much more.  It sure looked it was going to be a very strong mixture.  I never did see any type of booze that I would consider junk.  I live in Las Vegas and some of the crap they serve here as "house" pour is cheap junk that gives me a headache even looking at the bottle.

Maybe its the smaller older ships that give problems?  I guess I find out Saturday when I board the Breeze, but, I don't ever order pre made drinks because they put the cheapest stuff in it and it is always watered down.  I always order my drinks to be made or choose those which have to be made in front of me.

As someone who enjoys bourbon, there is no such thing as a "top-shelf" experience currently on Carnival. At least the ships I have been on. They have Woodford Reserve and Buffalo Trace, which don't get me wrong, served me just fine. They do have more top-shelf options as far as stuff like tequila.

On 5/17/2019 at 1:07 PM, tigereye said:

Why would it matter to you what brand of liquor is in the drink if you are putting juice, sugar, etc. with it. you have killed the reason for buying top shelf.

Most people couldn't tell you what was in their drink (especially a mixed drink) unless they saw it being poured. They just want to feel like they one-upped Carnival on the $860 Cheers cost by breaking a $100 retail cost of alcohol.

On 5/17/2019 at 10:14 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Maybe you have had bad luck, but I have never encountered a problem asking for any type of alcohol (tequila, vodka, etc.) at any bar on any ship on 27 cruises on Carnival (one week to cruise 28!). 

Is there a way of asking for a Virgin Miami Vice and and then a shot of the Liquor you want to add to it?? Maybe thats the solution? because you can have as many unalcholic drinks as you like and the shot would be one booze drink, add to mixture and your done!

• Like 1

It didn't work for me on the Elation, I asked for a virgin Pina colada and then a kraken rum shot and they said kraken is not part of the package, even telling them its under 20 it should be part of the package they insisted it was not.  I was on vacation so didn't continue with this, but maybe the Breeze this week be different?

On 5/17/2019 at 1:45 PM, Cruisegirl6 said:

Dlphn-  I tried that they said Kraken is not given with the Cheers package, tried it at three bars.

Tigereye-  I cannot have Titos vodka or grand mariner, allergic to it.  

Thanks dlphn501

Just curious,  what it's in Titos that's not in other vodkas?  

OP could also be referring to wine, the list shows some that are only sold in bottles, can't get by the glass.  Of course you get 20% off bottle but that could be a deal breaker for some.

48 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Most vodka's are made from wheat or potatoes, Titos is made from yellow corn.  

Maybe there are more congeners in Tito's, maybe the fermentation is different when made from corn?

Ok , gotcha.  😊

There's nothing in the Cheers! package that excludes any particular top shelf brand or drink other than the $20 limit.

from Carnival: https://www.carnival.com/FunShops/item/SUM/cheers

CHEERS! INCLUDES:

• All spirits (including cocktails), as well as beer and wine by the glass with a $20.00 or lower menu price 
  • Sodas, Zero-Proof frozen cocktails, energy drinks, specialty coffee, hot tea, 500ml bottled water and other non-alcoholic bottled beverages
  • Large format water bottles in the Dining Room and Specialty Restaurants
  • 25% discount off the menu price for any spirit or wine by the glass above $20.00
  • 25% discount off the menu price for wine and champagne by the bottle
  • 25% discount off beverage seminars and classes

CHEERS! EXCLUDES:

• Beverages promoted and sold in souvenir glasses
  • Bottles of liquor
  • Beverages offered at gangway
  • Beverages offered through room service, mini bars and/or in-stateroom beverage programs
  • Sharing cocktails, floaters, pitchers, tubes and buckets
  • Beverages offered through enomatic wine machines
  • All other beverage-related programs including merchandise, cigars and cigarettes
  • Food items 

On 5/17/2019 at 6:00 AM, Cruisegirl6 said:

The drinks are not premade, they are made to order, and I was unable to get a few brands of liquor and not asking for the highest end brands.

While I, of course, cannot certify that drinks are or are not premade, my experience (on both side of the bar) is that a high volume/multiple ingredient drink is premade, although some of the premade mixes may not include the alcohol; they will top it off with a shot.  This is particularly true with drinks like Margaritas, (at almost any bar, not just at sea) or the drink of the day.  Time is money.

Nice selections there, Cruisegirl6.

For some reason the barkeep on Celebrity Reflection gave me a Pina colada made with Zacapa 23 Rum rather than the well brand and it was divine. With the shots poured on the bottom and the top of the glass it was quite distinct as opposed mixed right through the drink which would have been a waste.

On 5/20/2019 at 8:22 AM, Joebucks said:

As someone who enjoys bourbon, there is no such thing as a "top-shelf" experience currently on Carnival. At least the ships I have been on. They have Woodford Reserve and Buffalo Trace, which don't get me wrong, served me just fine. They do have more top-shelf options as far as stuff like tequila.

The steakhouse bar has Blanton’s.  At least Freedom’s did last year.