Global Entry Process Time????

teacherman

18 hours ago, boerneDQ said:

Did your status update online prior to receiving your cards?  My sister applied for renewal in April and her status online is still in processing....

That's about when my BF went online to renew his, and his still shows as processing or pending.  He doesn't know yet if he'll be one of the ones randomly selected to have to do a renewal interview, or if he'll be approved and his card will just suddenly show up one day.

On 5/19/2019 at 1:49 PM, GeezerCouple said:

Has anyone here who applied for a renewal needed to come in for another interview?

Or does anyone know in general how often that needs to be done?

GC

I had to go in for an interview.  (I was one of the people affected in "printgate" five years ago.  My prints wouldn't take in their system and I had to be re-printed twice.)  I expect that was the reason for the interview.  My husband renewed a couple of months later and did not need to re-interview.

Keep in mind that once you get the new card in the mail, you do need to go onto the web site and register it.

Edited by ducklite
typo

10 minutes ago, ducklite said:

I had to go in for an interview.  (I was one of the people affected in "printgate" five years ago.  My prints wouldn't take in their system and I had to be re-printed twice.)  I expect that was the reason for the interview.  My husband renewed a couple of months later and did not need to re-interview.

Keep in mind that once you get the new card in the mail, you do need to go onto the web site and register it.

Printgate?  "prints not taking"?

Could you tell me more about this?

Hmmmm.... I always have trouble with print readers, and had a laptop once that had a handy-dandy feature instead of a password, but I never did get it to "register" my print.

Then Global Entry, and I had a lot of trouble at that interview.  I remember mentioning my useless laptop security feature.

Not long thereafter, we were returning by air from Bermuda, and the reader matched everyone else in our group's prints, but not mine.  They kept telling me to "try again"; the readers were off to the side, to help the regular line stay shorter, so they were just yelling over to me after DH went to ask about it.  They finally told me "not to worry" (!??).

This was especially of concern given that I needed wheelchair assistance that time, and my head was not registering for the camera, either.  I could have been absolutely anyone; there was no match for prints, and *nothing* for anyone or machine even to try to match my face as [not] photographed by the kiosk.  (The "real people" manning the nearby stations couldn't see my head, either.  Yes, at least they had ID'd DH, so that probably helped...)

Ever since, I've wondered about how "secure" this "security system" really is!  :annoyed

GC

10 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Hmmmm.... I always have trouble with print readers, and had a laptop once that had a handy-dandy feature instead of a password, but I never did get it to "register" my print.

Then Global Entry, and I had a lot of trouble at that interview.  I remember mentioning my useless laptop security feature.

Not long thereafter, we were returning by air from Bermuda, and the reader matched everyone else in our group's prints, but not mine.  They kept telling me to "try again"; the readers were off to the side, to help the regular line stay shorter, so they were just yelling over to me after DH went to ask about it.  They finally told me "not to worry" (!??).

This was especially of concern given that I needed wheelchair assistance that time, and my head was not registering for the camera, either.  I could have been absolutely anyone; there was no match for prints, and *nothing* for anyone or machine even to try to match my face as [not] photographed by the kiosk.  (The "real people" manning the nearby stations couldn't see my head, either.  Yes, at least they had ID'd DH, so that probably helped...)

Ever since, I've wondered about how "secure" this "security system" really is!  :annoyed

GC

Some people's fingers do not have well-defined ridges, so they don't always show up properly or take properly.  Someone told me to put a little sanitizer or, if desperate, lick, your fingers before putting them on the reader.  It temporarily gives a little plumpness to the finger.   P.S. Sanitizer also works well if you have to count large quantities of new paper currency.  A little on the thumb and index finger makes separating those new bills easy.

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

GC

There were a few hundred people whose fingerprints didn't properly take into the system when the program was first launched.  We all had to be re-printed.  I now make sure I have plenty of lotion on my hands before giving my prints so there are oils to leave a mark on the plate.  

Coming back from Ireland last year I couldn't get my prints to read at the airport.  I'm glad I had my Global Entry card with me, as it allowed them to process me in manually without having to wait in the line for people without GE.

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Some people's fingers do not have well-defined ridges, so they don't always show up properly or take properly.  Someone told me to put a little sanitizer or, if desperate, lick, your fingers before putting them on the reader.  It temporarily gives a little plumpness to the finger.   P.S. Sanitizer also works well if you have to count large quantities of new paper currency.  A little on the thumb and index finger makes separating those new bills easy.

Sanitizer is exactly what you don't want for reading prints.  It dries out the hands, making the situation worse.  You need to use hand lotion.

15 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Some people's fingers do not have well-defined ridges, so they don't always show up properly or take properly.  Someone told me to put a little sanitizer or, if desperate, lick, your fingers before putting them on the reader.

In the entry queues for US immigration, you can often see people rubbing their fingers on their faces to pick up some oil before their turn at the fingerprint reader. (That's the sort of thing that experience teaches.)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

In the entry queues for US immigration, you can often see people rubbing their fingers on their faces to pick up some oil before their turn at the fingerprint reader. (That's the sort of thing that experience teaches.)

The things one can learn here!  :classic_smile:

Thanks!  I'll try this next time.

GC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I got my GE done 2 years ago, and at that time Las Vegas had an interview office at the airport.  It was like crickets outside that office, and my friend and I were done in about 20 minutes total.  THEN, we had an overnight in Vegas!!!

I had to get my passport renewed the end of September 2017.  Completely different experience.  Much to my dismay they had closed the Las Vegas office (guess they heard too many crickets), and I had to go to dreaded SFO, which has an average of a 6 month waiting period.  I called them and they said not to make an appointment, but come as a walk-in.  I took BART, read a book on my iphone, and had the 45 second interview to get my new passport number recorded in the system.  It took about 30 minutes waiting for it.  

The trick to walk-in appointments is to go BEFORE they first open the office in the morning, and sign-in when they come out to see whose waiting.  

Edited by pcur

37 minutes ago, pcur said:

I got my GE done 2 years ago, and at that time Las Vegas had an interview office at the airport.  It was like crickets outside that office, and my friend and I were done in about 20 minutes total.  THEN, we had an overnight in Vegas!!!

I had to get my passport renewed the end of September 2017.  Completely different experience.  Much to my dismay they had closed the Las Vegas office (guess they heard too many crickets), and I had to go to dreaded SFO, which has an average of a 6 month waiting period.  I called them and they said not to make an appointment, but come as a walk-in.  I took BART, read a book on my iphone, and had the 45 second interview to get my new passport number recorded in the system.  It took about 30 minutes waiting for it.  

The trick to walk-in appointments is to go BEFORE they first open the office in the morning, and sign-in when they come out to see whose waiting.  

It seems like each office has their "tricks" to get a fast interview.  When we were interviewed we made an appointment, many weeks in advance, at BWI.  We went to our interview on a quiet weekday afternoon and there were about 10 people (with appointments) in the waiting area.  During our visit we saw several "walk ins" come into the interview room and the agents very politely would tell them to have a seat.  Given the speed of the process we doubt that anyone waited more than 30 min.

Hank

10 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

It seems like each office has their "tricks" to get a fast interview.  When we were interviewed we made an appointment, many weeks in advance, at BWI.  We went to our interview on a quiet weekday afternoon and there were about 10 people (with appointments) in the waiting area.  During our visit we saw several "walk ins" come into the interview room and the agents very politely would tell them to have a seat.  Given the speed of the process we doubt that anyone waited more than 30 min.

Hank

Sounds like GE heaven!!  Remember, I was referring to SFO, and it was pretty crazy out there in the waiting area.

21 hours ago, pcur said:

I had to get my passport renewed the end of September 2017.  Completely different experience.  Much to my dismay they had closed the Las Vegas office (guess they heard too many crickets), and I had to go to dreaded SFO,

Am I missing something?  Standard passport renewals can be done without going to an office.  Get an updated passport pic and send in with completed forms from the website. 

34 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

Am I missing something?  Standard passport renewals can be done without going to an office.  Get an updated passport pic and send in with completed forms from the website. 

When you renew your passport, you are given and new passport number.  Since your GE is linked to your passport number, you have to have the new number linked, and they will only do that in person to verify you and the passport.  At least that was the policy in late 2017.

1 hour ago, pcur said:

When you renew your passport, you are given and new passport number.  Since your GE is linked to your passport number, you have to have the new number linked, and they will only do that in person to verify you and the passport.  At least that was the policy in late 2017.

My mistake.  I misread and thought you were talking about going in person for the actual passport renewal, (as opposed to getting the new passport number linked to GE) which CAN usually be done without going in person. 

On 7/8/2019 at 10:10 AM, pcur said:

Orlando doesn't take walk-in's, unless you are badged flight crew.  So this will vary from location to location.

On 7/9/2019 at 8:33 AM, pcur said:

I did not have to go in person, I did it on line.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let people know I had applied back in April and after about 2 months was told I could schedule an Interview, they were all about 2 months out to early August.  Received an email the other day they were cancelling all appointments to move staff to the southern border.  I was lucky and was actually out of the country at the time and just did he interview on arrival.  Was about a 25 minute wait and mine took probably 5 minutes, fingerprints were the hardest part, that was on  Friday I was approved on Saturday and have my "known traveler number".  My passport should also be linked and I am good to go!!!

My fingerprints were already on file so that may have helped in the one day processing time 🙂

One other note we came back in April from overseas and went thru Vancouver and did customs there, they were too busy to do interviews at that time so she is still waiting.   She is going overseas in September so hopefully she can do her trip then.  If you can get a cheap trip it might be easier to cross the border than waiting for an appointment to tell the truth!

7 hours ago, fredflint said:

ust to let people know I had applied back in April and after about 2 months was told I could schedule an Interview, they were all about 2 months out to early August.  Received an email the other day they were cancelling all appointments to move staff to the southern border.  I was lucky and was actually out of the country at the time and just did he interview on arrival.  Was about a 25 minute wait and mine took probably 5 minutes, fingerprints were the hardest part, that was on  Friday I was approved on Saturday and have my "known traveler number".  My passport should also be linked and I am good to go!!!

My fingerprints were already on file so that may have helped in the one day processing time

I was wondering about this.   I received conditional approval very quickly, scheduled an appointment for July 8th and had the appointment as scheduled.  At that appointment the CBP officer gave me my KTN and told me to go ahead and enter it in the airline websites.  He said I would probably be approved within a couple of hours.   

Well, it has been a couple of weeks and on my dashboard it still says I have to schedule an appointment.   I'm waiting to see if I get my card and if so, I'll consider it done and that they just didn't update the website.  Anyone have any experience with this?

I sent an inquiry to CBP and they said my application is hung up at the enrollment center where I had my interview.  Meaning, the officer forgot to close it out.  So, they suggested calling the enrollment center and asking them to finish up my interview so I can move forward.  

All taken care of with a two minute phone call.   If the officer had closed out my interview the day I had it, the whole process would have taken less than a month.  With the one bump in the road, it was a little under 6 weeks.

On 6/4/2019 at 6:26 PM, ducklite said:

Sanitizer is exactly what you don't want for reading prints.  It dries out the hands, making the situation worse.  You need to use hand lotion.

It works if you do not rub it in all the way.  It's basically any liquid that will work.  I have to do this at work - our fingerprint reader is really finicky and we happen to have a sanitizer dispenser next to it (our department refrigerator is next to the reader). 

I live in Colorado which is very bad for fingerprints, I had to do mine a couple of times pressing harder and they were read.

A week later I have my global entry card in the mail, now in my pocket.  Flying out this Friday so will be a nice test of how well it works.

One thing to note my fingerprints were already on file the old fashioned way with real ink and a card, so I assume they just had to match mine and call it good!

The Global Entry card picture is really poor, I assume it is due to the low quality camera they use for the picture.