Do you speak up when you see rulebreaking?

CTOM

On 5/19/2019 at 1:35 PM, suzannecruisecritic said:

6B7748AE-5B8E-4DBC-8892-3435EB98ACD9.png

I saw this earlier regarding Koningsdam— But, Can anyone confirm if these bottle filling stations are also on Nieuw Statendam? Thank you!!! I like filling my water bottle the right (nice)way  😊

Edited by Dulciana8
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 8:57 PM, SempreMare said:

This topic made me have this vision about my upcoming first HAL cruise: 

I see someone touching the spout of their water bottle to the dispenser.  I am right next to them.

I say,

"Oh my gosh - did you see the last person who put their water bottle to the dispenser? 

He was foaming at the mouth, sweating, and had a rash."

But don't worry - you probably won't catch anything."

LOL, so they have signs about not refilling water bottle directly from the spout, they should also have a sign for the coffee.  More and more people are bringing thermoses to refill their coffee and they do so directly from the spout, I mentioned to one person they might want to fill a cup of coffee then pour that into the thermos, and the response, there is no sign to do that.  What can you do. 😳. I might try your comments above about foaming at the mouth, sweating, and rash next time I see someone do that.😁

• Like 1

Was dumbfounded at dinner when a person at our open seating table took out a roll from the bread basket looked at it and put it back and took out another one.    Was also shocked when his wife berated the wait staff for not mentioning that the cream held cream and not milk.  It went on and on.  I did speak to the maître d as the severe criticism was unfounded.    Similar thing on a Japan cruise when one person was incensed by how the grapefruit was cut incorrectly.    Some are just chronic complainers, when last seen two maître d’s were in attendance! 

But it I did confront one woman when she picked up the tongs and then decided to pick her cookie up with her fingers while touching others.  Her comeback was she had coffee.  I told the staff.  We were under a code red at the time.  

It has been asked what to do when you see someone licking the serving spoon then putting it back?  May I suggest you say in a louder than usual voice to someone who appears to be right behind the offender,  "That's funny.  (pointing at someone leaving the area)  That kid with the sore on his lips and the runny nose did exactly the same thing!"

Then, tell staff.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bemidji Ty said:

May I suggest you say in a louder than usual voice to someone who appears to be right behind the offender,  "That's funny.  (pointing at someone leaving the area)  That kid with the sore on his lips and the runny nose did exactly the same thing!"

While creative, not necessarily effective.. Nice try though..

Edited by KroozNut

I was thinking about this topic more related to a conference session I'm planning for Q1.  I want to motivate a specific action.  Nothing related to dispensing liquids ;-) , but similar in that it's a moment-in-time type of decision that people will make in the middle of lots of other things going on.

Big picture, these situations are similar to some that Daniel Pink describes in this YouTube.

Edited by SempreMare
  • Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 8:15 AM, bennybear said:

Was dumbfounded at dinner when a person at our open seating table took out a roll from the bread basket looked at it and put it back and took out another one.    Was also shocked when his wife berated the wait staff for not mentioning that the cream held cream and not milk. 

Stupid is as stupid does... sadly there is no cure for it. 😒

• Like 1

I saw two separate incidents like these in the buffet line on a Princess Cruise in 2011.  One was very similar to the potato chip story posted earlier in the thread, although, in this case, it was a crock of raisins on the breakfast bar. A woman stood by the crock, picking out raisins, eating them, licking the stickiness of her fingers, and then reaching back in for more.

Another incident was near the bacon station at breakfast. Quite a few strips of bacon had been dropped in the vicinity of the station, and I was shocked to see a guest fastidiously picking up all the dropped bacon (from the counter AND the floor!) and placing it back into the serving pan.  

In both cases, a word to an attendant and the contaminated food was quickly whisked away. Not surprisingly, that cruise went to code red within a couple of days.

3 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Stupid is as stupid does... sadly there is no cure for it. 😒

Actually, the Dan Pink video suggests that there *are* ways to change people's behavior via signs.  He gave a couple similar examples from studies.

@KroozNutI'm curious - if you get a chance to look at the video...

pretend you are the HAL employee responsible for designing an effective sign to encourage the right behavior around not touching your drink container to beverage dispensing spouts,

what words would you put on the sign? 

8 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Actually, the Dan Pink video suggests that there *are* ways to change people's behavior via signs.  He gave a couple similar examples from studies.

@KroozNutI'm curious - if you get a chance to look at the video...

pretend you are the HAL employee responsible for designing an effective sign to encourage the right behavior around not touching your drink container to beverage dispensing spouts,

what words would you put on the sign? 

I am of the opinion that no matter how 'effective' a sign may be, or how many signs there might be; there will still be stupid people that will do stupid things. It's simply a fact of life.

20 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

I am of the opinion that no matter how 'effective' a sign may be, or how many signs there might be; there will still be stupid people that will do stupid things. It's simply a fact of life.

I'm not sure stupid is the right word. Thoughtless, maybe. Oblivious? 

For the last 8 years, maybe more, all my cruises have been on Queen Mary 2 and various HAL ships. I despise the buffet on QM2 and so I rarely go there. HAL has increasingly gone to served food, rather than self-serve, so I'm used to seeing that setup. When I boarded Queen Elizabeth this June and my only lunch option was the buffet, I was surprised and a little frightened. It was nearly all self-serve! I was sure we'd all get noro. I saw a woman use a paper napkin to handle serving utensils and I did the same. I used the buffet rather than MDR for many lunches and breakfasts because of early tours and long days. I got used to the self serve and stopped worrying about it beyond lots of hand washing, which is my routine everywhere. No noro, but I did get the cruse cough, probably from someone at my dinner table who said he had been "coughing a lot."

2 hours ago, KroozNut said:

For a minute, let's just pretend that 20% of "stupid people" behavior could be changed.

What words on a sign would best accomplish that given the Daniel Pink video lessons? 

< switching contexts  - related but not identical> 

If I thought it would do any good, I would send a link to that video to the owner of the cabin I stayed in Seward before my Alaska Cruise.

There were enough 'Don't do [ x ] ' signs posted around the cabin and in the room 'notebook' that I felt very... admonished.   Some people and businesses seem incapable of designing an experience with empathy for their customer.

I have no idea what to put on a sign to make people do what it says. Signs are a "suggestion," even when they are traffic signs. In the last 24 hours driving on various errands around my town, I have seen two people make left turns where it's signed "NO LEFT TURN" and one person driving into the exit of a small parking lot that has a one-way system (necessary because space is tight), despite the fact that the exit driveway is marked "EXIT ONLY" and the entrance, 15 feet away at the most is marked "ENTER ONLY." 

People do not pay attention to their surroundings. If either of the left turn drivers had been pulled over by a cop and asked "didn't you see the sign?" The answer would have been "what sign?"  My father used an expression to describe where someone's head was--I won't use it here, but it seems to be true. 

• Like 1

Not on a ship,  but...

We have a gas station in town where you could enter the pump area from both directions.  It was a mess.  So, the owner put down big arrows on the pavement to try to direct the flow better.  Most of us complied, but every damn day there is some idiot there when I'm trying to fill up who pulls in the wrong way and messes up the flow.  I do politely point out the arrows to the miscreant - get a response anywhere from "oh, I didn't see them" to a nice display of a middle finger.    I want to see those spike strips put in next... drive in the wrong way and blow your tires...

People are just idiots/clueless/entitled twits all the time.  No amount of signage is going to cure them. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Not on a ship,  but...

We have a gas station in town where you could enter the pump area from both directions.  It was a mess.  So, the owner put down big arrows on the pavement to try to direct the flow better.  Most of us complied, but every damn day there is some idiot there when I'm trying to fill up who pulls in the wrong way and messes up the flow.  I do politely point out the arrows to the miscreant - get a response anywhere from "oh, I didn't see them" to a nice display of a middle finger.    I want to see those spike strips put in next... drive in the wrong way and blow your tires...

People are just idiots/clueless/entitled twits all the time.  No amount of signage is going to cure them. 

"You can't cure stupid" is my SIL's favorite expression.

21 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Not on a ship,  but...

So true.  Yesterday I almost rear ended a car who had decided to make a left turn into a one way turning lane which was clearly marked by TWO large "Do NOT ENTER" signs.  I never thought anyone would ever try this, so I was not expecting it and almost hit them.  

Better not to speak up. Tell staff hoping they will deal with it. I steer clear of the "serve yourself" items in the buffet and buy bottled water. "Licking that spoon" story will keep me away. On a couple of occasions I've seen SOMEONEtouch every dinner roll in the bread basket in MDR.

Edited by dog

5 hours ago, SempreMare said:

What words on a sign would best accomplish that given the Daniel Pink video lessons? 

I only watched the 2 first examples and I really do not know what kind of sign would work. I think the only effective method is a) to have servers handle the beverage station or b) construct the spouts in a way that the top of a drinking glass doesn't touch them. 

Edited by Floridiana