Do you speak up when you see rulebreaking?

CTOM

Just got off a HAL cruise, and wife and I were astonished by how many people filled their water bottles directly from the water/coffee spouts in Lido.  With signs everywhere telling them not to do it, and staff everywhere watching them do it and ignoring the people.   Do any of you ever speak up when people don't obey the posted rules and when the staff refuses to enforce the same rules??  It was especially bad, because we saw several people drink from their bottles then immediately put it right up (touching) the spout.

Related:  What about when see you see a woman move the tongs out of the way so she can reach her hand into the chip bowl and grab a handful by hand.  Eat a few, then go reach in for more.

I know I'm not the HAL police, but it was sooo tempting to go ask her, "Is there a reason you didn't just use the tongs?"

How should we handle these disgusting habits??  We're not even germiphobes; we just believe in following common courtesy.

Curious on your experiences.

• Like 7

Well, for the chip bowl, I would have mentioned it to someone to remove the bowl.

For the other stuff, I'm not sure I would have done anything. Maybe mention it to someone so they could clean the spouts.

While I will use provided cups to fill my jug, I drink from the lid that comes off anyways.

I never approach a rule breaker directly. If they're rude enough to break rules, they may be rude enough to get nasty with me. And, sadly,  I'm unlikely the change their habits.

I would say something to the staff, either waitstaff or if you can find one, a supervisor. The offending passenger may be gone by the time you do this, but perhaps complaining would make staff watch more closely and do something.  I feel sorry for them in that they're likely to get a truckload of rude dumped on them, but it is their job to supervise the area. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I would say something to the staff, either waitstaff or if you can find one, a supervisor. 

I take the same approach.  When I saw two women touching cups when we were under code Red, (the cups were being handled by staff including pouring of water, coffee, etc.) I told the staff.  They removed the entire tray and brought a new one.

5 minutes ago, CTOM said:

Just got off a HAL cruise, and wife and I were astonished by how many people filled their water bottles directly from the water/coffee spouts in Lido.  With signs everywhere telling them not to do it, and staff everywhere watching them do it and ignoring the people.   Do any of you ever speak up when people don't obey the posted rules and when the staff refuses to enforce the same rules??  It was especially bad, because we saw several people drink from their bottles then immediately put it right up (touching) the spout.

Related:  What about when see you see a woman move the tongs out of the way so she can reach her hand into the chip bowl and grab a handful by hand.  Eat a few, then go reach in for more.

I know I'm not the HAL police, but it was sooo tempting to go ask her, "Is there a reason you didn't just use the tongs?"

How should we handle these disgusting habits??  We're not even germiphobes; we just believe in following common courtesy.

Curious on your experiences.

I would tell the manager in the Lido. ....especially on the refilling of bottles....and you may have to ask who is in charge.  Staff should be empowered to gently correct passengers who are breaking the rules.  I have spoken up on one occasion when everyone was allowed to scoop their own ice cream.  What a mess.    

Learned my lesson on a Disney cruise as far as dispensing water. We always use a clean glass to put water, ice into our travel bottles and never touch rim or dispenser. Hated seeing so many kids/parents that never did that. Also, I’m not much for speaking directly to offenders either. I would speak to management.

We mind our own business and believe that it is up to the cruise line to monitor behaviour and enforce whatever rules they believe should be enforced.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

HAL needs to improve in this area - gently enforcing the rules, especially those related to safety and sanitation.  It seems to me that the crew is SO passenger friendly that they do not like to say anything to anyone.  Perhaps they are afraid of losing their tips??

I do not think it is up to other passengers to enforce the rules.  You never know who you are dealing with and what their reaction will be.  

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Like 3

Interesting thoughts.   The chip lady was quick about it, and no staff around.   But the waiters trying to fill their water pitchers just sat there and patiently waited for the water spouters.   I was more upset with the staff for not saying anything than I was with the perps!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, iancal said:

We mind our own business and believe that it is up to the cruise line to monitor behaviour and enforce whatever rules they believe should be enforced.

Maybe so, but if staff isn't doing anything and it's a matter of safety and sanitation, I speak up. It affects all of us if it could make us sick.  I'm all for minding my own business when it comes to dress codes etc. but this is different. 

• Like 8

Let a supervisor know if you see offending behavior.  Those filling the water pitchers may not be English speakers, or uncomfortable with their English skills.   Supervisors/managers can't be everywhere and see everything; just objectively let them know what you saw.   Talking directly to the offender can end badly if you are not a member of the staff.  I've not had to do this on a ship, but I have done it at the pre-cruise hotel - those breakfast buffets at Embassy Suites and similar places are just disgusting - I stopped eating at those buffets and just grab coffee.  

Yes, as a manager, fielding complaints is my least favorite part of my job.  But, someone has to do it...  some take it OK and are even a tad embarrassed, some go ballistic and will even drop a F-bomb or two,  call me names.  I hope you never have to go to a room at 11pm and tell a room full of loud drunks that we enforce a quiet time starting at 10pm and the people in the next room with the child can't sleep... They get one warning, the second one we send security...usually results in a bad review on Trip Advisor...

• Like 4

My husband saw someone filling their water bottle from the water dispenser in the Lido and went and spoke to one of the managers of the Lido.  He was told "we try to stop people from doing this, but they get angry and yell at us that it's their vacation and they will do what they want".  

16 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

It's not my job to enforce or report rule breakers.  Life is too short.

And some people can get very defensive and nasty about it when confronted.  Not worth messing up my vacation time over it, for the most part.

• Like 2

Signs are ignored and crew are also ignored or confronted if they try to maintain standards.  I find it disgusting when men go to the washroom without washing their hands then march past the hand sanitizer into the Lido to eat but I'm not about to give a lecture in the loo or the Lido. Best advice is worry about your own hygiene and advise a crew member to clean up the contaminated area or remove the contaminated food item. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoyalVisit said:

I find it disgusting when men go to the washroom without washing their hands then march past the hand sanitizer into the Lido to eat but I'm not about to give a lecture in the loo or the Lido. 

My thoughts exactly!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I treat scofflaws on cruises as I do those ashore, intervening only when there is potentially serious jeopardy resulting from their actions.  

I think filling the water bottles from the water spouts in the Lido IS putting EVERYONE at risk.  If they are ill, or soon to become ill with an intestinal or upper respiratory illness they have contaminated the water spouts and thus put everyone who uses it at risk.  Even the staff use the spouts to fill pitchers that they use to refill our glasses and cups.  Every water bottle being filled has someone’s germs coming into contact with the spout.  A scofflaw can very easily ruin your cruise if you let them spread their germs to you.

• Like 3

If I see what I consider someone doing in the Lido Restaurant's buffet areas particularly egregious, I will inform a staff member.  

Initially, I was not a "fan" of the concept change for the Salad Bar.  I like making my own salads.  But, I now understand the reason why it was done and applaud the decision.  (I still don't understand the reason for the overly large salad bowls, however.  I was told it was to assist the guest in "mixing" their salad.  My observations:  such large bowls produce much uneaten food.)

• Like 1

We were seated at lunchtime at a table in the Lido pool area, right next to the Taco Bar, which is self-serve.  It is also next to the Dive-In service window.   We watched a woman loading sour cream onto her plate, and when she was done, she licked the serving spoon and placed it back into the tub of sour cream.  Yuccch !!!

We told the Dive-In staff of this disgusting action.  They immediately removed the tub of sour cream and replaced it.  Some people are slobs, and you can't fix stupid.

• Like 7