Do you speak up when you see rulebreaking?

CTOM

Personally, I didn't want any chips that the lady touched, so I didn't care about getting the food replaced.   I DID want to tell a worker what she did...right in front of her and loudly enough for her to hear.     But from reading a lot of these replies, I realize that some people do not feel shame.   I wanted to embarrass her so badly, but I now realize she wouldn't have cared.  

The worst part was how emphatically she moved the serving tongs out of the way.  As if she truly didn't know what they were there for.   Of course she knew, but her actions were so dramatic.  

33 minutes ago, MrMan said:

Y'all should not cruise out of Philadelphia, as they say on Broad St, "Snitches get Stitches"

No kidding plus people get weird away from home.  My dad owned a resort campground and he would say "People check their brains at the gate on their way in and they don't put them back in until they are ready to go home". I wouldn't confront a stranger on a ship, you just don't know where it will go.  I met one real creep on a ship, not HAL.  He ended up in the brig not for what he did in my presence but what he did immediately afterwards.  Don't push it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, G&G said:

Hello TAD2005, hope that did not happen on our South Pacific cruise in March19. 

Things like this happen on every HAL cruise we take. I always notify staff of a problem. I am amazed that the staff doesn't see it first. In December 2018 I was having lunch in Lido when I saw this man get in the buffet line, no shoes, swim trunks and no shirt with a big hairy chest. Since I have been one of those lucky one's with the noro on a prior cruise I immediately went to Lido manager and told him get that guy out of here.

Not to change the subject but friends of mine asked me why I sail HAL since it is a much older crowd. Based on this tread, it sounds like a lot of children acting badly who don't know better :classic_ohmy:

No, this sour cream taco bar incident happened on the Westerdam trans-Atlantic from Venice to Ft. Lauderdale in Oct 2017.   I was looking for the taco bar on the Eurodam on our South Pacific cruise in March, and found it in the Lido Market, next to the Pasta Bar.  And all of the items were served to you and under glass shields.   So, maybe HAL will be moving the taco bars out of the Dive-In area to prevent any self-serving ?   I am on the Rotterdam next, and last time on that ship in 2018,  the taco bar was self serve, and next to the Dive-In at the forward end of the Lido pool area.  

4 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

..., and found it in the Lido Market, next to the Pasta Bar... 

Speaking of the pasta bar, on my last cruise, passenger #1 had made his order, and the cook was preparing it on the stove top.  The cook then went on to take passenger #2's order, while #1's was still cooking in the pan.   Next thing I know, I see #1 squeeze his arms under the glass separator when the cook wasn't looking.   He proceeded to season his own pasta himself while it was cooking, instead of simply asking the chef.

I guess some people view glass barricades as a decoration, not as a safety/sanitation feature. 

23 minutes ago, CTOM said:

Speaking of the pasta bar, on my last cruise, passenger #1 had made his order, and the cook was preparing it on the stove top.  The cook then went on to take passenger #2's order, while #1's was still cooking in the pan.   Next thing I know, I see #1 squeeze his arms under the glass separator when the cook wasn't looking.   He proceeded to season his own pasta himself while it was cooking, instead of simply asking the chef.

I guess some people view glass barricades as a decoration, not as a safety/sanitation feature. 

As Forest Gump said,  "Stupid is as Stupid does".   You just can't fix stupid !!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CTOM said:

Personally, I didn't want any chips that the lady touched, so I didn't care about getting the food replaced.   I DID want to tell a worker what she did...right in front of her and loudly enough for her to hear.     But from reading a lot of these replies, I realize that some people do not feel shame.   I wanted to embarrass her so badly, but I now realize she wouldn't have cared.  

The worst part was how emphatically she moved the serving tongs out of the way.  As if she truly didn't know what they were there for.   Of course she knew, but her actions were so dramatic.  

Shame is an endangered feeling, sadly. 

Tongs are invisible to some people. 

• Like 1

I wish there was a way to stop these posts from appearing into my inbox!

Enough said is enough said!  The Host needs to lock this Post in my humble opinion.  What more can be learned from this original legitimate post?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Enough said is enough said!  The Host needs to lock this Post in my humble opinion.  What more can be learned from this original legitimate post?

If you unfollow it, the emails should stop.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Just go to your CC Account, click on Manage Followed Content and Remove this thread. You shouldn’t get any more emails regarding this thread. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 6:39 PM, AncientWanderer said:

We had fixed seating on a long cruise, and a guy seated at an adjoining table made an elaborate show of testing his blood sugar before dinner each night -- multiple sticks, plenty of red-stained kleenex involved. Then he proceeded to order every darn fatty and sugary thing under the sun for his dinner.  So odd.  And so gross.

We never said anything to anybody, just looked away, but the dining room manager did approach us with the offer of a better table.  Excellent pro-active HAL service.

Obviously there are a lot of people who have never heard of Emily Post.

7 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

Obviously there are a lot of people who have never heard of Emily Post.

And, a lot of people who have no idea of what diabetics can and cannot eat...  Red meat is a food that is not on the limited list.  And, a diabetic may absolutely eat sugary things - if your glucose level is in the right place, you can have 10mg of carbs (aka sugar) as a snack, 40 carbs as part of a meal.   You can have pasta and rice, a baked potato.  It's all about management and still enjoying the food you are used to eating.  Diabetics aren't limited to salad and chicken.  

I guess non-diabetics may eat fatty slabs of meat in the MDR without someone being disgusted...

23 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I'm glad you did, because it provides the opportunity for other diabetics to consider their actions. Personally, I've always tested in my cabin and disposed of the used lancet in a Sharps container before heading for a meal, but others may test in the MDR or other dining locations without realizing that what is second nature to them might be off-putting to others. 

And, I'm glad.  Just with any disability (and diabetes is considered a disability under the ADA - I just went though this at work), knowing about it and helps us all.  As a newly-diagnosed diabetic, I appreciate knowing that some people may be upset to see me testing in public.  Personally, I didn't think of doing that, although, if I had no choice, I sure would.   Fouremco - I never thought of asking for a sharps container!  My lancets come with a cap that you push on after use.  But, I've had them come off if I don't push hard enough or get it on straight and stuck myself trying to pick it up.  I will remember to ask for the Sharps container!  Do you order ahead of time, or do you ask your steward?  Like I said, I'm just learning.  

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Do you order ahead of time, or do you ask your steward?  Like I said, I'm just learning.  

I normally ask for one in advance, but on a couple of occasions there hasn't been one in the cabin when we arrived. I've simply asked the steward and the container has appeared within minutes.

There are times when a Sharps container simply isn't practical. For example, you go out for the day and eat lunch or dinner out before returning home. I always carried an old pharmacy pill bottle in my test kit to hold used lancets and test strips. Depending on how often you test and the size of the bottle, you can use one for several days.

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I normally ask for one in advance, but on a couple of occasions there hasn't been one in the cabin when we arrived. I've simply asked the steward and the container has appeared within minutes.

There are times when a Sharps container simply isn't practical. For example, you go out for the day and eat lunch or dinner out before returning home. I always carried an old pharmacy pill bottle in my test kit to hold used lancets and test strips. Depending on how often you test and the size of the bottle, you can use one for several days.

More good stuff.  I'm leaving tomorrow for my first trip since my diagnosis.  I'm throwing in an old pill bottle!!

15 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I always carried an old pharmacy pill bottle in my test kit to hold used lancets and test strips. 

This ^^. I've also found an empty water bottle works well too since both the used needles and lancets are capped before disposal. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Because_I_Said said:

This ^^. I've also found an empty water bottle works well too since both the used needles and lancets are capped before disposal. 

Back in the olden days I used film canisters. I had a mate working in a photo lab, he supplied me with boxes of them.

On 5/23/2019 at 12:26 PM, slidergirl said:

trying to up your post count???  🙄

Don't need to do that, it does it all by itself, and it looks like I'm right behind you! 🤣

Edited by KroozNut

• 4 months later...
On 5/19/2019 at 6:43 PM, johnmik1 said:

What are the odds that two of us psycho hit men would be on the same cruise!

My parents had a resort campground and my father would always tell us to make sure to give the customers their brains back at the end of their stay because they had checked them at the gate upon arrival. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I smelled smoke on my balcony I would definitely contact Guest Services and/or Security. If I can no longer smoke on my balcony, then no one should be allowed to do it. I would not confront the person directly.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Djptcp said:

If I smelled smoke on my balcony I would definitely contact Guest Services and/or Security. If I can no longer smoke on my balcony, then no one should be allowed to do it. I would not confront the person directly.

Absolutely!! Thank you. 

Denise😊

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 9:22 AM, CTOM said:

Curious on your experiences.

There is so much selfishness and rule breaking nowadays, I would be exhausted if I spoke up to everyone.  That said, if I'm impacted by another person's stupidity, I will certainly speak up.  Cut me in line and I'll say something.  Smoke on your balcony while I'm out there and I'll report it.  

• Like 1