What’s included on other lines that’s an extra charge on NCL?

MyTMo777

24 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I first saw “Service” added to the tab in France - and only more recently in some US restaurants.   I do feel that serving the meal should be “part of the deal” — and particularly think that a built-in 15% or even the sometimes-seen 20% is annoying.  The percentage creep is absurd - what used to be a traditional 10% when a meal might cost $10. is often 20% on that same meal costing $50. The $1 tip has grown to $10 - ten times as much, while the underlying meal is five times as much.

On the other hand, I believe in incentive compensation — a waiter who goes out of his way to inform and provide good service certainly deserves more compensation than the (too-often experienced) disinterested one who simply slaps down a plate - which might have gotten cold while he was chatting with someone else.  So, even when I have to pay a built-in “service”, I will still leave a bit extra in recognition of above-par service.

38 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I first saw “Service” added to the tab in France - and only more recently in some US restaurants.   I do feel that serving the meal should be “part of the deal” — and particularly think that a built-in 15% or even the sometimes-seen 20% is annoying.  The percentage creep is absurd - what used to be a traditional 10% when a meal might cost $10. is often 20% on that same meal costing $50. The $1 tip has grown to $10 - ten times as much, while the underlying meal is five times as much.

On the other hand, I believe in incentive compensation — a waiter who goes out of his way to inform and provide good service certainly deserves more compensation than the (too-often experienced) disinterested one who simply slaps down a plate - which might have gotten cold while he was chatting with someone else.  So, even when I have to pay a built-in “service”, I will still leave a bit extra in recognition of above-par service.

I'll happily stand corrected on the origins of  "service charge" on menus, we can both blame the French :classic_biggrin:

Going back to the topic (do I hear cheers from Brillohead and MyTMo :classic_smile:), wasn't it NCL who first upped the drinks service charge from 15% to 18% ? And now to 20%. And that charged on "free" drinks packages which are unrealistically over-valued.

19 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Six of us had sandwiches and brews at a place out in Bloomsbury.  They added 15% service charge and it sure didn't look optional.  I didn't think the area was especially touristy but who knows.  Maybe it was because we were six, I don't know.   Not a big deal but we were a little surprised.   

Yes, parts of Bloomsbury may not be touristy, but it's well-heeled and in central London - where Brit norms don't apply.

Yes, it might have been because you were six, that's fairly common, but in Bloomsbury it wouldn't surprise me if it was across-the-board.

There are also eateries (mainly in tourist London) where a meat dish is just that - with spuds & veg as add-ons. Or cover charges. Or charges for un-requested bread put on the table.  We simply shun such places. 

Throughout Europe, by law all prices and service charges must be displayed outside the premises and on the menus.

There are differing opinions on whether the service charge is optional - the police wouldn't be interested in a civil matter and if (when?) folk refuse to pay the sum is surely too trivial to take any further, so I doubt it's been tested in court.

On one occasion in Budapest I was charged a service charge and a charge for bread that was brought out with the soup. Neither charge was mentioned on the menu. I declined to pay either, paid the rest of the bill in cash, and walked out.

Needless to say, because of the restaurant's nickel-and-diming I didn't leave a tip either.

That too was in a tourist area, I'll wager that doesn't happen to locals in the suburbs. :classic_wink:

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

No, tip jars are there because they want to make you think you're supposed to do it, not because it's good etiquette to tip someone for handing you a cup of coffee.   I don't know why you'd tip someone in Starbucks, but not in McDonalds -- aren't they working equally as hard, for approximately equal wages?

People don't tip because it's polite (i.e. proper etiquette), they tip (in N.A.) because they've been taught that it's a requirement, and that's supported by the fact that the government allows wait staff to be paid a lower wage than other service employees.   That's not the same in Europe, and one of the reasons it's not (and never been) the custom in Europe .

Well if you are cruising from Europe maybe you can get away with that but  if you are American they  still know you are  and they also  know   our customs. 

For example MSC charges for water  at dinner normally  on European cruises but they  now offer Americans a free water package since they know we are used to being able to order tap water at dinner without paying for it; they are doing this to attract Americans as customers.  Europeans do not get that perk since they are used to paying for it. 

I will continue to  tip,  but  is just me. You do what you want. Your prerogative.  You see I grew up in a lower middle income family and then  also  we used to struggle early in our marriage so  I know what it is to work hard and  barely scrape by. Now that I am blessed that  is no longer true, I want to do my bit to help those who are struggling.

Besides, remember,  your server in the specialty at night  could be  your waiter/waitress in the dining room at lunch or making your omelet in the buffet the next morning. This has happened to me more than once. (which shows me they really  do put in 14 hour days)   You don't want him to spit in your food do you?  The flip side of that is  they remember your tipping them too.  Our server from the specialty one cruise  we had at dining room breakfast 2 days later. He brought my hubby fresh squeezed orange juice  at breakfast one morning and  when my husband had ordered standard; and he said "no charge" and winked. You treat them right, they treat you right.  

3 hours ago, John Bull said:

I'll happily stand corrected on the origins of  "service charge" on menus, we can both blame the French :classic_biggrin:

Going back to the topic (do I hear cheers from Brillohead and MyTMo :classic_smile:), wasn't it NCL who first upped the drinks service charge from 15% to 18% ? And now to 20%. And that charged on "free" drinks packages which are unrealistically over-valued.

Yes, parts of Bloomsbury may not be touristy, but it's well-heeled and in central London - where Brit norms don't apply.

Yes, it might have been because you were six, that's fairly common, but in Bloomsbury it wouldn't surprise me if it was across-the-board.

There are also eateries (mainly in tourist London) where a meat dish is just that - with spuds & veg as add-ons. Or cover charges. Or charges for un-requested bread put on the table.  We simply shun such places. 

Throughout Europe, by law all prices and service charges must be displayed outside the premises and on the menus.

There are differing opinions on whether the service charge is optional - the police wouldn't be interested in a civil matter and if (when?) folk refuse to pay the sum is surely too trivial to take any further, so I doubt it's been tested in court.

On one occasion in Budapest I was charged a service charge and a charge for bread that was brought out with the soup. Neither charge was mentioned on the menu. I declined to pay either, paid the rest of the bill in cash, and walked out.

Needless to say, because of the restaurant's nickel-and-diming I didn't leave a tip either.

That too was in a tourist area, I'll wager that doesn't happen to locals in the suburbs. :classic_wink:

JB :classic_smile:

Aw, good to know we were in one of the posh areas. Hahaha

The service charge may have been listed.  Probably was and we just didn't pay any attention.  Anyway, the burgers were pretty good so we didn't think it was a matter for the police!   😀

2 hours ago, perditax said:

This is usually where the pro-tipping side loses me. At this point, it's not tipping, it's extortion.

Trust me, that "spitting" comment does not represent those of us who are what you call "pro-tipping". It is a very pessimistic, conspiracy theory mindset of someone who would come up with such a foolish idea.

Besides, none of us are pro-tipping per se. Instead, we are pro following the customs established wherever we are, including on cruise ships. I don't tip for the sake of tipping. I tip because it is customary at places where it is the norm. I believe that my personal preferences should take a back seat to the local customs wherever I am visiting. Thus, I tip where it is customary, and I don't where it isn't. It is more accurate to call me "pro-custom" instead. 

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

Trust me, that "spitting" comment does not represent those of us who are what you call "pro-tipping". It is a very pessimistic, conspiracy theory mindset of someone who would come up with such a foolish idea.

Besides, none of us are pro-tipping per se. Instead, we are pro following the customs established wherever we are, including on cruise ships. I don't tip for the sake of tipping. I tip because it is customary at places where it is the norm. I believe that my personal preferences should take a back seat to the local customs wherever I am visiting. Thus, I tip where it is customary, and I don't where it isn't. It is more accurate to call me "pro-custom" instead. 

Very well said. 

On 6/7/2019 at 4:37 PM, SantaFeFan said:

Well said! I have to add,  I would much rather everyone was given a living wage and tipping was not needed  even if it made the  meal or service cost more for me.

I never said I approved of spitting in food.  YES,  servers spitting in food of rude non tipping patrons is wrong. I have never approved of "tit for tat."  In my mind they have stooped to the same  low trashy level of the person who expected great service for no tip.     I myself  try to practice the golden rule of treating people as I  would like to be treated.  The reality though,  is many people do not think as I do.  so people who don't tip are taking their chances. 

and if you have known anyone who worked in a restaurant  who has told you stories about how the servers reacted to no tippers  you would  know   I have said nothing unture. Which is why I would rather cook at home  if I can't afford  the tip at a restaurant. 

2 hours ago, momofmeg said:

Well said! I have to add,  I would much rather everyone was given a living wage and tipping was not needed  even if it made the  meal or service cost more for me.

I never said I approved of spitting in food.  YES,  servers spitting in food of rude non tipping patrons is wrong. I have never approved of "tit for tat."  In my mind they have stooped to the same  low trashy level of the person who expected great service for no tip.     I myself  try to practice the golden rule of treating people as I  would like to be treated.  The reality though,  is many people do not think as I do.  so people who don't tip are taking their chances. 

and if you have known anyone who worked in a restaurant  who has told you stories about how the servers reacted to no tippers  you would  know   I have said nothing unture. Which is why I would rather cook at home  if I can't afford  the tip at a restaurant. 

Considering it is customary to tip at the end of a meal, how would a server know you are not going to tip at the time they are handling your food?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, electro said:

Considering it is customary to tip at the end of a meal, how would a server know you are not going to tip at the time they are handling your food?

At land based restaurants, servers remember non tippers when they return.  I worked in restaurants in my early adulthood (as a Host).  The things I saw and heard.....

Ever see the movie Waiting? 

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

At land based restaurants, servers remember non tippers when they return.  I worked in restaurants in my early adulthood (as a Host).  The things I saw and heard.....

Ever see the movie Waiting? 

Never heard of it, but if it is about waiters spitting in food, I don't think I want to watch it.

Edited by electro
grammer