What’s included on other lines that’s an extra charge on NCL?

MyTMo777

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

No, NCL charges more for the same thing not because it costs them more but only because than "they can". To me the definition of "nickle and diming" is they charge for things other cruises don't charge for (i.e. the popcorn on Royal that I spoke about) OR they charge more for the same thing then other cruise lines. As I also said earlier every cruise line's goal is to separate the passenger's from as many of their hard earned dollars as they can. NCL is better at it than the others in most cases.

I have been to restaurants that charge similar amounts for soda "because they can." Are they nickel and diming? 

7 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

It is not a matter of simply not liking the price.  The fact is that NCL markets itself as a low cost line - which is OK in itself;  but they clearly offer less for the basic fare than other lines offer for their basic fare (MDR food quality and service, for example), offer more optional alternative restaurants, continually sell stuff like lottery tickets, charge more for odds and ends like soft drinks, even bar bringing water on- then selling it.   That, taken together IS nickel and diming —- and because NCL does it all - a lot more than other lines, it is clearly a core element of their business model.

Now you're really stretching. It is advertised as a low-cost line with room, food, and entertainment included. Do you need to pay to use your room or standard toiletries? Do you need to pay to eat? Do you need to pay for entertainment? A true example of nickel and diming is paying for water in the MSC dining room.

If you want to say NCLs quality is low, it is overpriced, the competition gives you more, etc etc, fine. That tells the readers looking at NCL a lot more than "there is a charge for everything". As we all know, nothing is free.

• Like 2

Just now, Joebucks said:

I have been to restaurants that charge similar amounts for soda "because they can." Are they nickel and diming? 

You aren't as much of a captive audience in a restaurant but if a restaurant is charging more than a competitor for a basic soda just because they can then yes, I'd say they were nickle and diming as it meets the definition I used above. Does that mean that I think that makes them bad in some way? Absolutely not. 

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

A true example of nickel and diming is paying for water in the MSC dining room.

It seems you have an extraordinary understanding of what “ nickel and dining “ means.  I suppose you would ultimately claim it doesn’t exist as long as they do not charge you for the air you breathe.

Enjoy your NCL cruises with all the included FREE tap water, ocean views, sheets and bedding on your bunk, etc., etc., etc.

• Haha 1

On 5/29/2019 at 4:10 PM, sparks1093 said:

You aren't as much of a captive audience in a restaurant but if a restaurant is charging more than a competitor for a basic soda just because they can then yes, I'd say they were nickle and diming as it meets the definition I used above. Does that mean that I think that makes them bad in some way? Absolutely not. 

I think that's the problem a lot of people are having with what you're complaining about here.  

"Nickel and diming" actually means something different than what you're describing here.  Just because you want to spell it differently and define it as something different for the purposes of your discussion, that doesn't change the way that the general public defines the idiom.  

To damage someone or something either by taking away many small amounts of money or by giving too much attention to details:  The banks nickel and dime you to death with all the little fees they charge you. 

To assess costs or fees in enough small amounts that it adds up to a substantial sum: Between the increases in property tax, sales tax, and income tax, I feel like the government is trying to nickel and dime us to death.  These phone companies make all their profits by nickeling and diming their customers with hidden charges and fees.

To charge, or be charged, several unexpected small amounts of money, often in the form of fees, taxes, or related expenses to a venture, which when taken as a whole add up to a significant unexpected cost.   I got nickel and dimed to death by the phone company's sneaky extra charges.

When you go on pretty much ANY vacation (or any venue, for that matter), unless it's specifically marketed as an all-inclusive vacation, extra things cost extra. 

You go to a land-based restaurant, and you get charged extra for sour cream and bacon bits and cheese on a baked potato.  You get charged extra for a soda with your meal.  You get charged extra for a beer with your meal.  You go to a concert and you get charged extra for a t-shirt or a CD or a beer or a pretzel.  You go to a hotel and you get charged extra for room service or on-demand movies or spa services.  Even an all-inclusive resort will charge extra for specialty dining or excursions, and the staff will expect a tip for their services.

I totally understand that some things are "included in the fare" (which is different than free) on some lines but sold as an extra charge on other lines.  However, the similarities in this regard between mainstream lines are much more plentiful than the differences.  

Booze, soda, and specialty dining are going to be extra on all the mainstream lines.  None of that is a hidden or unexpected expense, therefore it is NOT the same as nickel-and-diming.  Those same items are going to be included on a luxury line -- that doesn't mean they are free.  

Words and their meanings DO matter.  

On 5/20/2019 at 6:50 PM, navybankerteacher said:

I would have to say reasonably acceptable MDR food and service.  While all lines have cut back, NCL stands alone in badly served, poorly prepared, cheap food — in what I have to see as an intentional effort to boost sales in their alternative venues, of which they seem to have far more than other lines.

We have cruised NCL 3 times, twice before they started freestyle (then they were just like Princess, HAL, Celebrity in my book, maybe with better entertainment); once after - a few years back we did an 11 night in the Eastern Mediterranean because the price kept dropping do to unrest in Egypt.  This later cruise we eat in the MDR for lunch and inner the first day/night only food and service were no where what were use to on Princess, Holland America, Celebrity, Cunard etc., but we had a nice room like a mini suite... so we checked the buffet out the second day... there we found mostly comfort foods, i.e, stews etc.  Not what we wanted either but decided the salad bar was adequate for us to make our own salads and sandwiches daily which we did easily.  We did not want to pay extra to eat on board since we were not impressed with either the MDR or buffet overall.  When we travel in the Mediterranean we often buy favorite food items in ports and take back to the ship.  NCL does not allow this but I came prepared with plastic bags I could use in my carryon... so we did get some favorites in port and enjoyed them on our balcony when we had long port days.   For the price paid because have do a similar cruises on HAL, Cunard, Princess, Celebrity, Crystal... could not complain but there is a big difference in the food and service on board in the MDR.    NCL is okay for the right price, as long as you are willing to make adjustments. 

12 hours ago, brillohead said:

I think that's the problem a lot of people are having with what you're complaining about here.  

"Nickel and diming" actually means something different than what you're describing here.  Just because you want to spell it differently and define it as something different for the purposes of your discussion, that doesn't change the way that the general public defines the idiom.  

To damage someone or something either by taking away many small amounts of money or by giving too much attention to details:  The banks nickel and dime you to death with all the little fees they charge you. 

To assess costs or fees in enough small amounts that it adds up to a substantial sum: Between the increases in property tax, sales tax, and income tax, I feel like the government is trying to nickel and dime us to death.  These phone companies make all their profits by nickeling and diming their customers with hidden charges and fees.

To charge, or be charged, several unexpected small amounts of money, often in the form of fees, taxes, or related expenses to a venture, which when taken as a whole add up to a significant unexpected cost.   I got nickel and dimed to death by the phone company's sneaky extra charges.

When you go on pretty much ANY vacation (or any venue, for that matter), unless it's specifically marketed as an all-inclusive vacation, extra things cost extra. 

You go to a land-based restaurant, and you get charged extra for sour cream and bacon bits and cheese on a baked potato.  You get charged extra for a soda with your meal.  You get charged extra for a beer with your meal.  You go to a concert and you get charged extra for a t-shirt or a CD or a beer or a pretzel.  You go to a hotel and you get charged extra for room service or on-demand movies or spa services.  Even an all-inclusive resort will charge extra for specialty dining or excursions, and the staff will expect a tip for their services.

I totally understand that some things are "included in the fare" (which is different than free) on some lines but sold as an extra charge on other lines.  However, the similarities in this regard between mainstream lines are much more plentiful than the differences.  

Booze, soda, and specialty dining are going to be extra on all the mainstream lines.  None of that is a hidden or unexpected expense, therefore it is NOT the same as nickel-and-diming.  Those same items are going to be included on a luxury line -- that doesn't mean they are free.  

Words and their meanings DO matter.  

Ah, but I'm not complaining, I am simply making an observation about their business strategy (and evidently using a term that to you is a disparaging one). Let's look at the definitions you provide: 

To damage someone or something either by taking away many small amounts of money or by giving too much attention to details: Sounds like charging $1.25 more for a soda then what other lines charge. Charging twice for a drink package what the other lines charge and offering less in the package.

Between the increases in property tax, sales tax, and income tax, I feel like the government is trying to nickel and dime us to death.  These phone companies make all their profits by nickeling and diming their customers with hidden charges and fees.

Charging a la carte pricing in their specialty restaurants versus a set price like the competition (while this does help a small number of people it ends up costing most people more than the former price). Charging more for bottled water.

To charge, or be charged, several unexpected small amounts of money, often in the form of fees, taxes, or related expenses to a venture, which when taken as a whole add up to a significant unexpected cost. 

Charging more for their drink packages and offering less.

Yes, every cruise line charges for the extras but NCL has mastered squeezing that last dollar out of your wallet. It's a strategy that works for them. We could use the term "maximizing on-board passenger spending" if you'd rather, I'm sure that's the term used in the NCL boardroom.😉

And I've never paid extra to have sour cream and bacon bits on my potato in a land based restaurant. I would consider that to be nickle and diming, too.

Edited by sparks1093

It is quite apparent that the NCL cheerleaders will not accept such multiple add-ons being referred to as nickel and diming.  They like the line, they will defend the line - so perhaps others who are inclined to use the term should just humor them and avoid provocative language.

12 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

It is quite apparent that the NCL cheerleaders will not accept such multiple add-ons being referred to as nickel and diming.  They like the line, they will defend the line - so perhaps others who are inclined to use the term should just humor them and avoid provocative language.

Maximizing on-board passenger spending it is, then.😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

For the record, NCL is one of the lines I've never actually been on -- the "NCL cheerleaders" phrase doesn't apply to me at all. 

Love the line or hate it, doesn't matter to me in the least.  But if you're bothered by paying extra for specialty dining and soda on NCL, you're going to be bothered by it on every other mainstream, non-luxury line as well.

Edited by brillohead

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

But if you're bothered by paying extra for specialty dining and soda on NCL, you're going to be bothered by it on every other mainstream, non-luxury line as well.

The point several of us have been making is the large degree of difference.  We are all willing to pay extra for extras, but NCL has significantly more extras - and more need to buy them:

A) They are alone in banning bringing ANY water or soda on board,

B) Their prices for soda are significantly higher than other lines’.

C) Their MDR meals - food quality, preparation, and service - fall so far below that on other lines that there is a real need for their higher number of specialty dining venues.

It is not a matter of not liking to pay for “extras” — it is about for having to buy so many of those “extras” to simply bring the experience up to the level of what is included on every other mainstream, non-luxury line.

10 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

The point several of us have been making is the large degree of difference.  We are all willing to pay extra for extras, but NCL has significantly more extras - and more need to buy them:

C) Their MDR meals - food quality, preparation, and service - fall so far below that on other lines that there is a real need for their higher number of specialty dining venues.

It is not a matter of not liking to pay for “extras” — it is about for having to buy so many of those “extras” to simply bring the experience up to the level of what is included on every other mainstream, non-luxury line.

The cost of soda on RCCL is the same as NCL, and food is subjective. I’m curious, how many times have you sailed NCL? I’ve had no issue with the food, but I tend to shy away from certain foods that are mass produced (like pasta).

Edited by mjkacmom

On 5/24/2019 at 3:58 PM, Joebucks said:

So things should always be the way they were just because? Why? Cruises are forever destined to be luxury all-inclusive packages and hotels are destined to be forever a la carte? What if people like different options?

Hearing memories of previous cruises, you hear people say things like mints, tablecloths, silverware, elegant wear. This is the reason why this model never went mainstream. Because that stuff was the entertainment to most people. Just because that kind of stuff makes up your fondest memories, does not mean others want the same.

There is nothing "sad" about mainstream lines offering a product that is hugely accessible, affordable, and enjoyable to millions of people. I'm also unsure what these multitude of services I am forced to buy. I can buy a cruise that is half the price of your high-horse cruise, and have more than double the amount of options to entertain me on it. I'm sure you would mumble something like "well he can't afford it," that's why he say this. I can assure you that I can, and currently have no interest in doing so. I'd rather sit on the peeon lines and get nickle and dimed while you enjoy caviar and go to bed at 8pm.

Another point about the ships in the 70's and 90's were those super tiny rooms where you slept in bunks and of course then no balcony staterooms, not even the pricey suites had those.  The most you got was a port hole window.  I much prefer  that I can get a balcony room and if I want great food booking a specially restaurant. Honestly it is healthier too because if the food is not great but simply adequate you don't have the temptation to over eat.    I mean when we do land vacations we don't do 4 star restaurants every night. At least my family doesn't. 

• Like 2

On 5/29/2019 at 4:05 PM, Joebucks said:

Now you're really stretching. It is advertised as a low-cost line with room, food, and entertainment included. Do you need to pay to use your room or standard toiletries? Do you need to pay to eat? Do you need to pay for entertainment? A true example of nickel and diming is paying for water in the MSC dining room.

If you want to say NCLs quality is low, it is overpriced, the competition gives you more, etc etc, fine. That tells the readers looking at NCL a lot more than "there is a charge for everything". As we all know, nothing is free.

MSC no longer charges for tap water.  They realized they couldn't if they were to break into the  American market in the Caribbean. They even offer a free  dining room water package for their American customers on European cruises. Europeans are used to paying for water at restaurants.  That is European culture.  You order water, it is never tap water there, it is  always bottled  "gas"(carbonated/"fizzy") or "no gas" ( non carbonated bottled  water) they say. You get only small drinks too. if you order a coke it is an eight ounce glass.    No refills, you ask for more you pay for another drink. The same goes for coffee. However the bright side is  a glass of wine is about as cheap as a glass of coke. 

On 5/24/2019 at 7:09 AM, sparks1093 said:

Based on our one experience in an NCL specialty restaurant I would say they aren't necessarily all they are cut out to be. We ate in the Italian specialty restaurant once and the service was so-so (acceptable, but not top notch). The decor' was ok and with an Italian feel but I'm not big on decor. Our appetizers were nicely done and dessert was as well. We both ordered chicken parm and it was tasty but the spaghetti that went with it was lackluster. The noodle were cooked to the consistency of canned spaghetti and the sauce was similar to tomato soup. The only true upside was it was a much more intimate setting than the MDR. We both had chicken parm on our next cruise (in the MDR), which was on CCL and we both agreed that it was much better than what we'd eaten on NCL. We've found the food overall to be very similar on the three lines that we've sailed on.

We always found the Italian decent on NCL. I have never had tomato soup for sauce or canned spaghetti and I have ate there on the Pearl, Sky, Sun, and Jade.  However, the Italian is one of their less expensive specialties. Originally there was no fee, it was only an alternative from the main dining room.(like the Chinese restaurant) Because they had issues with it being over booked they started charging a small fee.They did the same with the Mexican, a small fee is charged becasue it was so popular.  The Chinese is still no extra charge and I liked it fairly well. It does not seem to get over booked. Now NCL's steak house, Japanese grill and French  restaurant cost a good bit more. those 3 are their premium pay extra restaurants.

3 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

The cost of soda on RCCL is the same as NCL, and food is subjective. I’m curious, how many times have you sailed NCL? I’ve had no issue with the food, but I tend to shy away from certain foods that are mass produced (like pasta).

I’ve been on six NCL cruises.  The first was on the Norway - which was OK - but quality has continually declined - our last (which I now really believe will have been our last) was Gem, a year ago.

We just booked our first NCL cruise in a long time so have been doing some research which I kind of regret as now we're having second thougths.  What has stuck out to me is the ridiculously priced beverage package perceived value which if I take is $1,000 cdn in tips. For that $1,000 I can't get a canned soda, bottled water, sparkling water, or a latte. All extra.  So really their drink package is probably the most expensive at sea but also crap.  The room service delivery fee I'm not used to paying on other lines. The not allowing water or soda to be brought on board.  The added $5 for a large shrimp cocktail in the seafood restaurant, on top of the $12 to dine there even if you have a dining package. And then add $10 for lobster.

These I've all discovered before even setting foot onboard.  I'd say there's about a 20% chance of keeping our booking at this rate. I should stop reading the NCL board.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I’ve been on six NCL cruises.  The first was on the Norway - which was OK - but quality has continually declined - our last (which I now really believe will have been our last) was Gem, a year ago.

I have found that true of all the lines.  I've cruised 7 so far but  am trying a new line In July. . I know we cruised on Celebrity back in 2005 and I loved it. From then on they were my favorite line and we  have accrued the most days/points with them. But they started declining too, the last time I cruised them was 2014 and I was very disappointed in that cruise.  Now the last cruise I took was NCL Jade in 2017. We picked them because we got a great deal on Canada/ New England  that was round trip and included Quebec City  and Charlottetown. Plus the ship overnighted in Quebec City. Were we "nickled and dimed"? Not really our onboard account was within the usual amount we run up. Pretty much  on par with our 2014 bill on Celebrity, maybe a bit higher but it was a 10  day and not 7 day. But then we also  got in the deal 4 nights at specialty restaurants (10 day cruise) Specialty restaurants on Celebrity are $50 a person, unless you eat in that sandwich/soup/salad  place.

Edited by momofmeg
typo

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I don't necessarily agree with what you are saying here.  I am not a cheerleader for any line, but out of our 19 cruises have sailed on CCL 11 times with 2 more cruises booked and NCL 5 times with no current cruises booked with them but 2 Cruise Next Certificates to use on them in the next 3 years.   

I find when we sail CCL we spend less overall because we get Casino Rates and use Carnival Gift Cards normally purchased at a 10% discount to pay for everything.  With the exception of our next Carnival Sensation Cruise, where get free drinks in the Casino with our Package, we have not purchased the drink package on our CCL Cruises.  We also usually don't pay for specialty restaurants.  We did go to the steak house on the Sunshine once for our anniversary but we were not impressed.  We received a free dinner in the Italian restaurant on that same cruise for anniversary from the room steward and were again not impressed.  Since we don't normally get the drink package we will bring on board with us our allotted bottles of champagne and I bring an 8 pack of the small cans of diet pepsi with us so I can take my medicine in the room in the morning and at night.  We normally do not pose for or purchase any photos.  I do purchase a few T-shirts. Do a little gambling...I have come home ahead of the game on our last few Carnival Cruises. We also purchase just a handful of drinks between the 2 of us throughout the cruise.  Not including gratuities we normally walk off the ship with a $100-$200 bill that I pay off with a Carnival Gift Card.  We consider our Carnival Cruises to be a cheap fun getaway from the stresses of home.  We don't expect outstanding food, service, or shows for that matter, and our pleasantly surprised when it is sometimes better, but not disappointed when we get something we don't like.    We don't buy soda because we are satisfied with the ice tea and lemonade.  We get 2 giant bottles of water for being past guest which is plenty for us so we don't buy water.  I find the MDR to basically be ok with a few hits and misses.  There is not much on the buffet I like at all except for the omelets in the morning and we do like the Guys Burgers and the Deli.  

In comparison on NCL we usually get a promo that includes the Ultimate Beverage Package and the 3 Specialty Dining Meals.  The base cost is usually more but I do usually get a 10% OBC back from my TA and we purchase Cruise Next Certificates to get additional OBC.  The base cost is pretty comparative if not a less than what I would pay for CCL with packages we get included on NCL.  So while I am paying more, I am also getting more.  I realize and know this upfront when making my cruising decisions.  NCL also gives us a bottle of champagne for being a past guest.  Our last NCL cruise we ended up bringing it home since we had the Ultimate Beverage Package we never opened it.  Yes we do drink more on NCL than we do on CCL.  What's the purpose of having the package if you don't use it.  We do enjoy the Specialty Restaurants on NCL.  Again I am not fan of their Italian restaurants...we received a couple free meals there from NCL in the past and would never use my package meals there, but we do like Moderno and Cagneys and enjoy eating there.  I find NCL's MDR to be similar to CCL.  Mostly ok with some hits or misses.  But we do like NCL's buffet much better than CCL.  We also like O'Sheehan's.  We don't go to the shows where there is an upcharge for the meals served.  But we like the entertainment much more than CCL including the comedy club, dueling pianos and the production number.  We enjoy the deck parties more too.  Banning water is not an issue...the fountain water is just fine.  The soda is included with the Ultimate Beverage Package also not an issue.  As for the food quality....with the Specialty Dining Package and the better buffet we find ourselves liking the food better on NCL than we do CCL.  Otherwise we find our ourselves purchasing the same things we do on CCL, with the exception of the alcohol drinks, at similar prices...although I do find myself losing more on NCL ships in the Casino than I do on CCL.  We know when deciding to cruise NCL we pay a higher base price but we also know we will be getting more in terms alcoholic drinks, soda, specialty meals, better buffet and better entertainment.  

The question is....Is that higher base price worth the extra's we are getting on NCL over CCL.  A totally subjective answer.  Our answer is usually yes.  But as you can see most of our cruises have been on Carnival.  Why?  Because we are also just as happy with our cheaper Carnival Cruise and if we can get a grab a great deal and our budget allows it, we are going to go for it.  It's when we feel like splurging and our budget allows we go for NCL and/or look at other cruise lines.  I do try to look at other cruise lines when we decide to book a cruise.  We loved Disney but can't make ourselves pay those prices without little kids to spoil again.  We weren't a fan of our Princess cruise.  The other ships from the other lines just can't seem to meet our criteria for the other vacations we booked.  Maybe in a couple years when we are retired and have more flexibility.

But back to your post.  What I don't find is us paying more for anything on NCL than what I would pay on CCL.  Yes I pay more for my base price but that base price includes more than I am getting on CCL and if I were to add those items to my base cost on CCL, I would in some cases be paying more for my CCL cruise than I would my NCL cruise.  But it all comes down to what we want out of our vacation and how much we are willing to pay for it.

Edited by Warm Breezes

I've got two Carnival cruises booked and a deposit on a NCL cruise.  

NCL:
Alcohol Package$99 per person per day for the drink package, which includes cocktails, spirits, glasses of wine and beer, soda, and juice
Soda Package - $7.95 per day for the soda package, which includes Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Sierra Mist, Mountain Dew, Ginger Ale, Tonic Water, and Club Soda
Water - $17.94 - 6 pack of 1 liter bottles of water
Water - $33.54 - 12 pack of 1 liter bottles of water
Internet - $12.50 per day social / $25.50 per day unlimited / $29.50 per day unlimited premium /$105 for 250 minutes
Photo Package - $149 for the 10 photo package / $199 for the 20 photo package / $249 for the 30 photo package
Soda in Room 
Canned Soda - $2.95 each? 

Carnival:
Alcohol Package$51.95 per person per day for the drink package, which includes cocktails, spirits, glasses of wine and beer, soda, zero proof frozen cocktails, energy drinks, specialty coffee, hot tea, bottled water and other bottled beverages, and a 25% discount off of spirit or wine by the glass over $20 and 25% off of the menu price for wine or champagne by the bottle.

Soda Package - $8.50 per person per day, which includes Coke, Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Caffeine Free Coke, Sprite, Sprite Zero, Orange Fanta, Mr Pibb, Barqs Root Beer, Tonic Water, Club Soda, Ginger Ale, Orange juice, Cranberry Juice, Tomato Juice, Pineapple Juice, and Grapefruit Juice.
Water - $4.50 - 12 pack of 16.9 fluid ounce bottles of water
Internet - $6.50 - per day Internet social plan / $10.20 - per day value internet plan / $14.45 - per day premium internet plan
Photo Package - $99.98 Choose up to 5 photos for printing on-board and one of those five for a 16X20 canvas print
Soda - $10 for a six pack of soda (delivered to room)

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

Wow different lines charge different prices that’s a shock. Do your homework and book with a line that fits your requirements. Cruise cost, inclusions and cost of extras that suit you.

pretty simple really.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Wow different lines charge different prices that’s a shock. Do your homework and book with a line that fits your requirements. Cruise cost, inclusions and cost of extras that suit you.

pretty simple really.

Our Royal cruise was $1880. A comparable NCL cruise was $3600. Yes, cruise lines do charge different prices but after spending more to get on-board one wouldn't expect to have to continue to pay more for many of the extras. We all see this issue differently but I'll say again that NCL is best at maximizing passenger on-board spending. Their CEO made it quite clear that was his driving concern and his mantra. None of this means that NCL is a "bad" cruise line or that one can't get a good deal with them. I like walking in a cow pasture as much as I like walking in a field, I just know that when I am walking in a cow pasture I have to watch out for the plops. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, momofmeg said:

We always found the Italian decent on NCL. I have never had tomato soup for sauce or canned spaghetti and I have ate there on the Pearl, Sky, Sun, and Jade.  However, the Italian is one of their less expensive specialties. Originally there was no fee, it was only an alternative from the main dining room.(like the Chinese restaurant) Because they had issues with it being over booked they started charging a small fee.They did the same with the Mexican, a small fee is charged becasue it was so popular.  The Chinese is still no extra charge and I liked it fairly well. It does not seem to get over booked. Now NCL's steak house, Japanese grill and French  restaurant cost a good bit more. those 3 are their premium pay extra restaurants.

I don't doubt your experience but in our experience they didn't get what should be basic in an Italian restaurant right. 

6 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I've got two Carnival cruises booked and a deposit on a NCL cruise.  

NCL:
Alcohol Package$99 per person per day for the drink package, which includes cocktails, spirits, glasses of wine and beer, soda, and juice
Soda Package - $7.95 per day for the soda package, which includes Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Sierra Mist, Mountain Dew, Ginger Ale, Tonic Water, and Club Soda
Water - $17.94 - 6 pack of 1 liter bottles of water
Water - $33.54 - 12 pack of 1 liter bottles of water
Internet - $12.50 per day social / $25.50 per day unlimited / $29.50 per day unlimited premium /$105 for 250 minutes
Photo Package - $149 for the 10 photo package / $199 for the 20 photo package / $249 for the 30 photo package
Soda in Room 
Canned Soda - $2.95 each? 

Carnival:
Alcohol Package$51.95 per person per day for the drink package, which includes cocktails, spirits, glasses of wine and beer, soda, zero proof frozen cocktails, energy drinks, specialty coffee, hot tea, bottled water and other bottled beverages, and a 25% discount off of spirit or wine by the glass over $20 and 25% off of the menu price for wine or champagne by the bottle.

Soda Package - $8.50 per person per day, which includes Coke, Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Caffeine Free Coke, Sprite, Sprite Zero, Orange Fanta, Mr Pibb, Barqs Root Beer, Tonic Water, Club Soda, Ginger Ale, Orange juice, Cranberry Juice, Tomato Juice, Pineapple Juice, and Grapefruit Juice.
Water - $4.50 - 12 pack of 16.9 fluid ounce bottles of water
Internet - $6.50 - per day Internet social plan / $10.20 - per day value internet plan / $14.45 - per day premium internet plan
Photo Package - $99.98 Choose up to 5 photos for printing on-board and one of those five for a 16X20 canvas print
Soda - $10 for a six pack of soda (delivered to room)

You can’t compare the beverage packages because I can’t imagine anyone purchasing NCL’s. We did buy it once before it became a perk, and it was much cheaper than now. Paying just the gratuity means it costs less than any other line. As for the photos, who the heck wants a 16x20 canvas print!

19 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

You can’t compare the beverage packages because I can’t imagine anyone purchasing NCL’s. We did buy it once before it became a perk, and it was much cheaper than now. Paying just the gratuity means it costs less than any other line. As for the photos, who the heck wants a 16x20 canvas print!

We got one to commemorate our 25th anniversary. You can compare the beverage packages because people do still buy them but even if they didn't it's still the retail price for what they have. Yes, NCL's price was comparable to other lines at one time. Then Del Rio took over and they started giving them away "free". Then they started charging the gratuities on the "free" beverage package. Then they doubled the price of said beverage packages (brings in more gratuities and makes it a better marketing tool). Then they started charging 20% gratuity for bar services, including for the "free" beverage package. Oh, and they also sell a premium beverage package that allows you to drink the top shelf stuff. A paltry $128 pp/pd. Plus gratuity of course. I don't know if they let you upgrade your "free" package to that one.