A-Mused in A-laska, Seward to Vancouver, 27 May to 6 June 2019

Unibok

11 minutes ago, JohnGinPBG said:

Yes, that will be a crowd! However, the two largest ships don't arrive until noon and 1:00, so the morning hours shouldn't be too bad. Mendenhall will be crowded anytime, but Mt. Roberts hiking not so much, as most people just hang out at the visitor center.

Here's what we had - the Silver Shadow sandwiched in between two biggies.

Excellent point from JohnGinPBG that the two largest ships do not arrive until noon or later. Here is the full listing for our one day in Alaska's Capital City:

Juneau, Sunday, July 28
Silver Muse: 9 am - 11 pm, 596 passengers
Island Princess: 6:30 am - 5 pm, 1,970 passengers
Celebrity’s Millennium: 9 am - 9 pm, 2,138 passengers
Royal Caribbean’s Ovation of Seas: noon -11 pm, 4,180 passengers
Grand Princess: 1:30 pm - 10 pm, 2,590 passengers
five ships with 11,474 passengers, plus crew, in Juneau for this one busy day

It will be interesting to see how they line up these ships in the docking areas at this port.  Nice pix you posted for that line-up last year.   We have a family/personal connection with the President of Wings Airways and will do at 3 pm the four glacier flight seeing and then landing at Taku Glacier Lodge, etc.  Early in the morning, before the crowds get too busy, we go to Mendenhall and then hopefully take the tram up, UP to Mt. Roberts.  Beating the "FLOOD" of folks at noon will be important.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 63,797 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

We have a family/personal connection with the President of Wings Airways and will do at 3 pm the four glacier flight seeing and then landing at Taku Glacier Lodge, etc.  Early in the morning, before the crowds get too busy, we go to Mendenhall and then hopefully take the tram up, UP to Mt. Roberts.  Beating the "FLOOD" of folks at noon will be important.  

Jam-packed day in Juneau for you! As I recall, after our multiple hikes my wife had a rose-petal bubble bath and we dined in our suite.

Just one picture today: watching the Indy 500 from our room in Denali. Okay, it's not the most exciting picture (nor was it the most exciting race), but DD (aka Silver Spawn) and I watch the race every year to commemorate her birth in the Hoosier state. It is our only sports obsession, and now we can say we've watched the Greatest Spectacle in Racing from Alaska.

IMG_3757.thumb.jpg.1a74cd01a880d096abf681ab62fa8de1.jpg

We're now in Anchorage at 9:35 pm, and the sky looks like 2:00 in the afternoon. This close to the solstice, Alaska gets close to 20 hours of sunlight per day. 

Between our departure from Denali and our arrival in Anchorage was the 8-hour train ride on the Alaska Railroad. Our Gold Star service was more like the Cold Star service; the train was absolutely freezing the entire journey. The forecast in Indianapolis may have been for cold rain -- but the race went off without a sprinkle or a drop, and we enjoyed their weather in Alaska instead. Cold and rainy the entire 8 hours. Truth to tell, it was lovely sitting far above the tracks in our observation car seats, watching the misted-over mountains pass by. We passed the time by spotting a few moose and caribou, enjoying some adult beverages, and reading the books we hadn't touched since we left home. 

Just a bit about the Alaska Railroad train: this early in the season, there are 1 or 2 engines, followed by the baggage car. The Gold Star cars are next, with the sit-down dining car on the bottom and the Gold Star observation seats (and private bar) on top. There is also an outdoor observation viewing deck that stays pretty well sheltered from the wind and rain. Princess and HAL seem to have their own Gold Star cars they use for folks on their cruises. After that is the cafe car with booth seating and light snacks/drinks. Next is the Adventurer class cars, still with comfortable seating but without the extra amenities and reserved seats with upper story views. Instead, the Adventurer class has an additional 1950s-era car with a smaller observation deck on top. From what we experienced on both legs of our train travel, shockingly few people use that upper observation area, and it is both quiet and comfortable. Both classes offer a fine experience.

JohnGin, thank you especially for your advice on Juneau. We had planned to do exactly what you describe (tram to Mt Roberts, hike along the ridge, lunch on the ship, then Nugget Falls at Mendenhall Glacier). I'm so glad to hear it is possible to do both hikes and also dine on the ship. The Muse will leave Juneau at 11:00 pm, so we should have plenty of time. I won't complain if there is a hot bath with rose petals waiting when we we return.

Alright, it's time to pretend the sun is thinking about setting so we can get some sleep before embarkation day tomorrow.

Cheers,

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Unibok said:

Between our departure from Denali and our arrival in Anchorage was the 8-hour train ride on the Alaska Railroad. Our Gold Star service was more like the Cold Star service; the train was absolutely freezing the entire journey.

Just a bit about the Alaska Railroad train: this early in the season, there are 1 or 2 engines, followed by the baggage car. The Gold Star cars are next, with the sit-down dining car on the bottom and the Gold Star observation seats (and private bar) on top. There is also an outdoor observation viewing deck that stays pretty well sheltered from the wind and rain. 

Great updating and details from Unibok as to the Alaska Railroad and their Gold Star service.  Cute line about it being, unfortunately being "COLD STAR" service. Glad that you have a connection to our neighbors in Indiana.  Yes, enjoyed watching the Indy 500 race yesterday.  Close, tight finishing battle.   

For our post-cruise Denali excursion through Silversea, we will do a "late morning transfer to the rail depot and board the Alaska Railroad (Deluxe Dome Railcar Service) for the scenic ride to Talkeetna. During your thrilling ride through the thick forests and along the edges of steep valleys, you may catch a glimpse of native wildlife from the comfort of your glass-domed rail car. Along the way cross Hurricane Gulch, perched more than 300 feet (91 metres) above the river below."  Was that Hurricane Gulch a big highlight for you when returning from Denali?  Any other key tips from this train ride and/or at Denali?

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 220,681 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

8 hours ago, Unibok said:

JohnGin, thank you especially for your advice on Juneau. We had planned to do exactly what you describe (tram to Mt Roberts, hike along the ridge, lunch on the ship, then Nugget Falls at Mendenhall Glacier). I'm so glad to hear it is possible to do both hikes and also dine on the ship.

Here are a few more notes from our day in Juneau that you may find useful.

From where we docked, it was about a 1-minute walk to the tram station. Right outside the station was also where we hopped on the public bus to Mendenhall, so everything is very convenient.

An estimated 1.5 loop trail starts at the visitor center. It's surprisingly steep and can be very muddy. I would suggest starting out to the right, since the trail to the left had a series of stair-steps that were virtually flooded and almost impassable when we came back down that way. We did have rain when we hiked, but it rains almost every day so I wouldn't expect a dry trail. Thankfully, we had hiking poles which really helped with balance, especially when descending.

After about 1/2 mile, if I recall correctly, several trails branch out to the right. One takes you to the Father Brown's cross lookout with great views of the harbor. That's where we stopped but you could continue to the Mt' Roberts summit from there but it's a long way and a serious climb. The other trail takes you to an observation deck with fine views of a large valley. I think it's called Bear Valley. Great spot!

If you go back to the visitor center the way you came, you'll avoid those flooded steps.

One note on Mendenhall. The public busses all leave there by 4:30 or 5:00 to get back to the pier. Not sure why since, as you know, darkness is not an issue. We had to cut our visit short and never actually got to Nugget falls, just close.

I see you're setting sail this evening. All the best for a wonderful cruise and continued Alaskan adventures!

fullsizeoutput_23a.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Was that Hurricane Gulch a big highlight for you when returning from Denali?  Any other key tips from this train ride and/or at Denali?

Hi Terry,

Yes, Hurricane Gulch is quite something -- I imagine even moreso in clear weather to sharpen all the edges. Even in our misty haze, it was spectacular. 

When you board, there is a magazine (Panoramas? Something with a P) with interesting articles and also highlights at different mile markers. An on-board tour guide will also point out various items of interest and any wildlife spottings. The tour guides are actually high schoolers who excelled through a highly competitive process for the chance to take a course in Alaska history and tourism, be trained, and then eventually selected for the job. There were two on our train, both very impressive. They do a lovely job of conveying information while also making it interesting and sometimes personal to them.

Once in the park, whether you take the Transit Bus or the Tundra Wilderness Tour, my sense is that you stand a better chance of being closer to the action if you sit on the LEFT side of the bus as you enter deeper into the park. On our two days driving in and out, both sides lucked out, with wildlife coming right up to us on either side. Silver Spawn concurs: she says the left side is definitely the better choice driving into the park.

A 5.7 magnitude earthquake with an epicenter not far from here woke us at 1:52 last night, but as far as we can tell it caused no damage. Just part of the excitement of the wild west.

5 minutes ago, Unibok said:

Hi Terry, Yes, Hurricane Gulch is quite something -- I imagine even moreso in clear weather to sharpen all the edges. Even in our misty haze, it was spectacular.   When you board, there is a magazine (Panoramas? Something with a P) with interesting articles and also highlights at different mile markers. An on-board tour guide will also point out various items of interest and any wildlife spottings. The tour guides are actually high schoolers who excelled through a highly competitive process for the chance to take a course in Alaska history and tourism, be trained, and then eventually selected for the job. There were two on our train, both very impressive. They do a lovely job of conveying information while also making it interesting and sometimes personal to them.  Once in the park, whether you take the Transit Bus or the Tundra Wilderness Tour, my sense is that you stand a better chance of being closer to the action if you sit on the LEFT side of the bus as you enter deeper into the park. On our two days driving in and out, both sides lucked out, with wildlife coming right up to us on either side. Silver Spawn concurs: she says the left side is definitely the better choice driving into the park.  A 5.7 magnitude earthquake with an epicenter not far from here woke us at 1:52 last night, but as far as we can tell it caused no damage. Just part of the excitement of the wild west.

Double WOW! WOW!!  Such wonderful additional details and insightful tips from Unibok.  Will be copying this great info/background into my trip file and will share with others taking this post-cruise, Silversea excursion to Denali.  Might hide and keep secret till we are seat about sitting on the left side for the Tundra Wilderness Tour.  

That's a big 5.7 earthquake.  Today is BOARDING DAY for getting on the Silver Muse, right?  Good luck.  Looking forward to more great sharing of this scenic, exciting fun.  

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 45,603 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

• Haha 1

F40D11B3-A6AB-4F1E-9ECB-C605BAEFB68E.thumb.jpeg.19f950fdc51225fdcc8978e9d9142caa.jpeg

Anchorage tip: Snow City Cafe for a hearty breakfast. Reservations essential if you don’t want a lonnnnnngggg wait. We had rezzies and were seated immediately. Their Alaskan Benedicts are especially good: a tangy hollandaise, perfectly poached egg, and either salmon cakes or king crab cakes (or one of each!). Good coffee, and a shelf of hot sauces.

19 hours ago, Unibok said:

Anchorage tip: Snow City Cafe for a hearty breakfast. Reservations essential if you don’t want a lonnnnnngggg wait. We had rezzies and were seated immediately. Their Alaskan Benedicts are especially good: a tangy hollandaise, perfectly poached egg, and either salmon cakes or king crab cakes (or one of each!). Good coffee, and a shelf of hot sauces.

Looks like a great place for breakfast for when we are in Anchorage.  For Sitka tomorrow, here is what AccuWeather forecasts: WED., MAY 29, Sitka, High 61° /Low 47°, Times of clouds and sun. Historic Average: High 55°/Low 45°.  Looks like your weather there will be better than average.  Look forward to hearing more about the Silver Muse, Hubbard Glacier, etc.  

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 46,740 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Just checked at 

www dot sea (all one word) scanner dot com

for the current Silver Muse position and it looks you are getting closer to Hubbard Glacier. See the visual below.  Had to break up that website name as CC does not like it to be posted here.   Given the four-hour time zone different, I assume those on the ship are having or completing breakfast now.   

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 45,603 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

1419138304_ScreenShot2019-05-28at12_21_28PM.thumb.png.ae4527c798e0cffbd0c283eb9ab13ee7.png

Edited by TLCOhio

On 5/27/2019 at 2:32 PM, Unibok said:

F40D11B3-A6AB-4F1E-9ECB-C605BAEFB68E.thumb.jpeg.19f950fdc51225fdcc8978e9d9142caa.jpeg

I'll be in Anchorage 3 nights early September and will definitely make a rez for Snow City Café for breakfast.

Maybe for 3 mornings? Looked at the menu, and too many choices for one morning! Thanks for the recommendation. Also plan on dinner at Marx Brothers Café which my husband and I dined at two different stays in Anchorage many years ago.

• Like 1

And we are LIVE on the Silver Muse! Unibok and Silver Spawn have settled into our 5th deck suite, complete with all the usual comforts of Silversea: a spacious suite, a much deeper veranda than on the smaller ships, chilled champagne, and a lovely orchid waiting to greet us. Our butler and room assistant seem to be excellent, certainly up to standard. Most happily, we have found zqtchas and Elaine and look forward to meeting other CCers if they ever announce our Meet & Mingle.

She is a handsome ship, this Lady Muse. We have responded well to the muted color scheme, and even to some of the ridiculous and the sublime art around the ship (hair dryer sculptures, anyone?). The CD is brand new, the delightful Chelo from Argentina -- he is charming and somewhat campy-in-a-good-way and self-effacing and very high energy. He's adorable. We haven't learned much more about him, but I'll report what I learn (and, please, I invite others to do the same!). Jimmy Kovel has been promoted to HD, and appears to be happy in that role so far.

As usual, embarkation was effortless. Silversea had chartered no fewer than 6 motor coaches from Anchorage to Seward, each leaving at 15-minute intervals. This had two important consequences: the busses were uncrowded, with everyone having the option for a window seat the entire gorgeous ride, and lines at the port were minimal. Our luggage seemed to have arrived separately, and eventually we were reunited with it. Tips for any of you taking the Anchorage --> Seward motor coach ride: sit on the RIGHT for the best views. Terry, I assume it will be the opposite for you.

Having taken two legs of the Alaska Railroad (from Fairbanks to Denali, and then Denali to Anchorage), we wholeheartedly agree with others who have said that the Anchorage to Seward is the most spectacular of the routes. In addition to the mountains on all sides, we were treated to twenty (yes 20!) bald eagles just hanging around on the side of the road, and a handful of bison at an unexpected preserve established to help reintroduce them to the region.

Embarkation took about two seconds, and we found ourselves with 20 minutes to explore the ship before the suites would be ready. It is interesting how large the Muse seemed on embarkation, and how it already feels familiar after 24 hours onboard. There are so many choices, and we hope to try them all before Vancouver. Last night, we settled on Tor's Observation Lounge for cocktails, canapés, and sailaway. We then dined at La Terrazza, enjoying the antipasto board while continuing to peruse the menu. We settled on the duck pappardelle for Silver Spawn, and the rigatoni al greicia for me. She then had the eggplant for a main, and I greatly enjoyed my branzino (thank you all for the recommendation on that one!). All was delicious, although I have to report that the pappardelle is a far cry from what it used to be. It is still good, but different. 

I apologize for the lack of photographs, but we were so in the moment enjoying the day that we didn't stop to pull out our cameras. So that is the report for 27 May, and we'll catch up on today's report later ... perhaps after dinner.

Cheers,

Super glad to read you’re on board and safely ensconced in the Muse.  Absolutely love that ship.  Especially the Arts Cafe!

Silver Princess chimes in from San Diego and says Silver Spawn should join us on the South Georgia to Antarctica voyage in January.  Surely, with degree in hand, Mom will agree. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Unibok said:

And we are LIVE on the Silver Muse!   She is a handsome ship, this Lady Muse. We have responded well to the muted color scheme, and even to some of the ridiculous and the sublime art around the ship (hair dryer sculptures, anyone?). The CD is brand new, the delightful Chelo from Argentina -- he is charming and somewhat campy-in-a-good-way and self-effacing and very high energy. He's adorable. Jimmy Kovel has been promoted to HD, and appears to be happy in that role so far.  Tips for any of you taking the Anchorage --> Seward motor coach ride: sit on the RIGHT for the best views. Terry, I assume it will be the opposite for you.  Having taken two legs of the Alaska Railroad (from Fairbanks to Denali, and then Denali to Anchorage), we wholeheartedly agree with others who have said that the Anchorage to Seward is the most spectacular of the routes. In addition to the mountains on all sides, we were treated to twenty (yes 20!) bald eagles just hanging around on the side of the road, and a handful of bison at an unexpected preserve established to help reintroduce them to the region. We then dined at La Terrazza, enjoying the antipasto board while continuing to peruse the menu. We settled on the duck pappardelle for Silver Spawn, and the rigatoni al greicia for me. She then had the eggplant for a main, and I greatly enjoyed my branzino (thank you all for the recommendation on that one!). I apologize for the lack of photographs, but we were so in the moment enjoying the day that we didn't stop to pull out our cameras. So that is the report for 27 May, and we'll catch up on today's report later ... perhaps after dinner.   Cheers,

Super great details and reporting from Unibok.  Excellent sampling for your first day on the Silver Muse. I have highlighted above some of the area of special interest to us, including the promotion up for Jimmy Kovel.  

Did you see Hubbard Glacier yesterday and how did those new zodiacs work?   Is today your port stop in Sitka?  Being there 9 am-4 pm?  What are you planning for this scenic location?  Then tomorrow will be Haines, 8 am-6 pm?  Plans there?  Is branzino a fish dish?  How prepared and done?  Know you've absorb much on your first day on the ship, but don't forget your camera!!  How does the Internet seem to be working?  Assume the staff is very skilled, friendly and nice, right?

Keep up the great sharing!!  Very much enjoying and helping us be prepared for our late July sailing on the Silver Muse. 

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 235,488 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

3 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

Thanks for posting Unibok, if you have a chance can you find out if Jimmy’s promotion to HD is a permanent one. Safe travels and enjoy all that the Muse has to offer.

YES, excellent question above suggested by Mr. Silver.  Plus, I am also interested as to how long Jimmy and the new CD will be on the Silver Muse for this summer?  Through till early August?  Or, late August or September?  When handy, interested as to the on-ship speaker, plus how the evening entertainment offerings are being done these days.  Still the Voices of Silversea?

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 28,602 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

14 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Did you see Hubbard Glacier yesterday and how did those new zodiacs work?  Is branzino a fish dish?  How prepared and done?  Know you've absorb much on your first day on the ship, but don't forget your camera!!  How does the Internet seem to be working?  Assume the staff is very skilled, friendly and nice, right?

I'll try my best to answer everyone's questions -- first off, the Jimmy-as-HD issue. He has said it's just for a short time, but just how short I don't know. Zqtchas has some good leads on the staff questions in the "Muse Now" thread.

DW, I'm checking on the Pink Gin question. It's Day 3, so we're starting to feel like we have friends in particular bars. With Dolce Vita practically right next to our suite, it is like having a personal bartender as a neighbor.

For now, I'd like to gush about the added expedition excursions on this sailing and the next few to follow. There are a LOT of expedition staff on board, and they brought a lot of toys with them. Anna and Chenaz are our ORCA whale watching experts, and they are fabulous. Whenever the ship is sailing during daylight hours, they are up ABOVE the Tor's Observation Lounge on Deck 12, watching for anything they can see. Remember, daylight is about 20 hours long this time of year, and they are out there in all kinds of weather. It appears that they are also our enrichment speakers for this trip, although I'll let you know if that changes. Chenaz gave a very helpful overview of orcas versus humpback whales, with tips for what to notice when you try whale-spotting for yourself. All suites are equipped with binoculars (to borrow) provided by their ORCA organization, and they presented a whale watching book to everyone who attended their morning talk.

As we would not reach Hubbard Glacier until early afternoon, we opted for a sushi lunch in Kaiseki. I have heard, but never fully appreciated until today, that the sushi rice must be perfect for the entire sushi experience to work. As I've never had bad sushi rice, I hadn't fully appreciated that truism. Now we know better. Kaiseki is a gorgeous and intimate space with terrific service, but the rice was beyond dry -- resulting in some very disappointing sushi indeed. We'll try it again later in the voyage to see if that was just a one-time error. We ate what we ordered, and the fish was excellent, but we then opted to head to the Arts Cafe for a little something to finish off our meal. (And, yes, huge shout-out to the Arts Cafe!!!) While we were there, Silver Spawn spotted several fin whales, looking aft.

Beyond the ORCA folks, Silverseas' expedition staff is also here in full force. Yesterday was the first day they had the opportunity to truly blend classic cruising with expedition adventure. As far as I could tell, it was a very successful pilot program. Under cold and drizzly conditions, we were in Hubbard Glacier from 2:00 to 5:30 or so. The Norwegian Jewel was also there. Pic of our weather conditions close to the glacier:

IMG_4927.thumb.jpg.b382f492ac7e646ac88bda8f5765ad39.jpg

Three types of excursions were offered: zodiaks, kayaks (reached by zodiaks), and a new vessel from Allen Marine -- the St. Theodosius. This Silversea excursion was actually the inaugural sailing of Allen Marine's St. Theodosius, which was built especially for viewing Hubbard Glacier. It had a large lower area for seating and concessions, a smaller second-level seating area and back deck, and another open-air viewing area on top. The excursion was nearly 3 hours long in the saturating rain, and during that time we were able to see some incredible glacial calving, a steadfast sea lion, and a flirtatious otter. The ship also turned around so that those inside would be able to get equal time with the views of this massive glacier -- one of the only glaciers that is still growing each year. It was clear that Silversea had a choice between filling the vessel so that more people could get off of the Muse and closer to the action, and not filling it so that that everyone on board would have an amazing view. This time around, they prioritized giving the opportunity to as many people as possible, and I would say I agree with that decision. It felt pretty special to be on their very first sailing. The Allen Marine folks were excellent tour guides, and provided hot beverages and donuts in addition to local smoked salmon. 

At the same time, 6 or so zodiaks took smaller groups close to the glacier, while another group of 2 kodiaks brought different group to the kayaks, which were already positioned close to the glacier. Three very different experiences, with 3 very different ways to get off the ship and closer to the action. For those who remained on board the Muse, the captain turned the ship around so that everyone would have ample opportunities to view Hubbard from what was still a prime location -- just not quite as up close and personal as the other 3 excursions.

From what I could tell, all three were a smashing success, despite the challenging weather and low visibility. I am very hopeful (as I suspect some of you are as well) that a successful pilot on our voyage means an extension of these opportunities throughout the summer Alaska season. Although it may not seem like we had very many hours at Hubbard, we certainly made the most of it and felt very satisfied at the end of the day.

We chose to dine at Indochine, which we loved!!! When we asked for extra spice, that was readily granted, and our dishes were perfectly prepared and absolutely delicious. It is our favorite dinner spot onboard so far.

After that, we took in the Voices of Silversea show, "Uprights and Grands." Whereas many of the other Voices shows I have seen include only nostalgic oldies, this one integrated more contemporary songs as well, and also included more choreography than past shows I have seen. We thoroughly enjoyed the entire hour-long performance, and are likely to return for more. We do have a few favorite singers already, but they are all quite good.

Since I mentioned public art yesterday, let me leave you with this final image of hair dryer art in the main stairwell. Some of the staff HATE it, but it makes me giggle every time.

IMG_8896.thumb.jpg.8d2b9e22404c41bf12b6dd4e6315ed05.jpg

Next up is Sitka. Until then, my best regards to you all,

Edited by Unibok
  • Like 1

To answer some of your other questions, branzino is a type of sea bass. It was grilled and served over a bed of roasted eggplant and peppers, topped with a tomato reduction. Delicious and very fresh tasting. I would get it again in a heartbeat.

As for the internet, I'm in the process of testing it -- trying not to upload too many pics at once to see what the saturation level might be. So far, so good. I have noticed that the staff make frequent jokes about the terrible internet, which both relieves the tension and shows that they experience it too.

One other note about the staff -- from what we have seen on the Muse so far, there is a great bit of affection for one another, and quite a bit of good natured teasing among them. It seems very positive, very sweet. Service has been uniformly excellent everywhere we have gone. 

• Like 1

So nice to hear about your experience at Hubbard Glacier and your positive impressions of the Muse! You're fortunate to have gotten so close to the glacier - last year we were about a half mile away at the closest. It was a non-event. Although we did enjoy the beautiful blue large and small icebergs on the way into the bay. We were shocked that the temp was about 40 and the wind chill was maybe 25, so we didn't spend too much time on deck.

Looking forward to hearing about your continued adventures! Thanks for taking the time to post.

fullsizeoutput_5dd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5de.jpeg

• Like 1