Upgrade After Final Payment

Particle_Penguin

I know I you usually can't get a refund if there is a price drop after final payment date, but are you able to pay the difference to move into a higher category?

For example, if I pay $500 for an inside cabin now, and a few weeks before the sailing date, balcony cabins go on sale for $600.  Can I pay $100 for the upgrade, or does the "new bookings only" restriction apply here as well?

33 minutes ago, Particle_Penguin said:

I know I you usually can't get a refund if there is a price drop after final payment date, but are you able to pay the difference to move into a higher category?

For example, if I pay $500 for an inside cabin now, and a few weeks before the sailing date, balcony cabins go on sale for $600.  Can I pay $100 for the upgrade, or does the "new bookings only" restriction apply here as well?

What are the Insides selling for when those Balconies dropped in price? They may want that difference.  I am not an expert on this particular question, but I think the answer is going to vary from cruise to cruise and it will depend on the situation of sales at the time you ask.  Princess is always happy to have you self-upgrade to a more expensive cabin, but what you have to pay for that can well be unpredictable until making an inquiry.

4 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

What are the Insides selling for when those Balconies dropped in price? They may want that difference.  I am not an expert on this particular question, but I think the answer is going to vary from cruise to cruise and it will depend on the situation of sales at the time you ask.  Princess is always happy to have you self-upgrade to a more expensive cabin, but what you have to pay for that can well be unpredictable until making an inquiry.

it may also be a re-book, then the perks may come into play  along with the fare

We've oftentimes upgraded to a better cabin category after final payment when there is a significant price drop.  The cruiseline has a little '1' footnote on the pricing indicating it is for new bookings only.  But, sometimes, it pays to ask them what the penalty is to cancel and rebook ... it may save you money.  But ... when asking this, I might be met with a little resistance but they've never refused to just let me pay the little bit more for the upgraded cabin under the original booking in the end.  Never hurts to try calling back and talking to someone different if at first you don't get what you want.  

• Like 1

We had the price drop so much on our recent 3 day, that the mini suites were less than we had paid for an inside. We were able to get upgraded. Great surprise for my DD, I didn't tell her.  No extra perks were involved, though I did have to resubmit my stockholder credit request.

16 hours ago, Particle_Penguin said:

We just tried this on our upcoming Alaska trip (inside to balcony) paying additional money on top  of what we had already paid .  It was after final payment.  We were told we would lose all our perks under our original booking.  We do not have the sip and sail but have generous OBC and prepaid gratuities for 4.   So no upgrade for us.   Just over a week until our sailing and they are still showing balcony rooms available.   I guess they just don't want our money....  you would think us paying more vs an empty room the more $$$ would win out.   Oh well, we are still very happy just to going to Alaska!!!

We tried calling our TA and Princess no luck from either.

Edited by Gaynors

A little different but similar. We were offered an upsell from an interior to an ocean view, which we were not interested in because of the location.  I suggested that we would pay more for a balcony in the same area we were in.  

They found a balcony cabin cabin for us and we kept our free Medallion Net and free gratuities.  I guess it depends on who makes the phone call... Princess or the customer.

• 1 month later...

Update:  I ended up booking the inside cabin so I could at least start making flight and hotel reservations.  About a week after final payment, the prices dropped as expected.  The balcony prices were still a little bit more than I had paid for my inside.  I called and talked to a very friendly agent who tried to do the upgrade but said she was getting a validation error that I wasn't eligible for the new prices, since it was for new bookings.  She was apologetic but said she couldn't do it.

I tried again the next day and got a different agent.  I explained the situation again and mentioned that the agent I made the original reservation had told me it would likely be possible.  I ended up on hold for quite a while, but she came back with the new pricing.  We went through the entire thing like doing a brand new reservation.  Bed configuration, dining times, vacation protection, the works.  When she finished, she sent me to customer service where they did some behind the scenes magic and applied my previous payment to the new balance and took my payment for the difference.  About 45 minutes on the phone in total, but completely worth it in my opinion.

You may have to call a few times before you get somebody who can help, but its possible.  YMMV.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Particle_Penguin said:

Update:  I ended up booking the inside cabin so I could at least start making flight and hotel reservations.  About a week after final payment, the prices dropped as expected.  The balcony prices were still a little bit more than I had paid for my inside.  I called and talked to a very friendly agent who tried to do the upgrade but said she was getting a validation error that I wasn't eligible for the new prices, since it was for new bookings.  She was apologetic but said she couldn't do it.

I tried again the next day and got a different agent.  I explained the situation again and mentioned that the agent I made the original reservation had told me it would likely be possible.  I ended up on hold for quite a while, but she came back with the new pricing.  We went through the entire thing like doing a brand new reservation.  Bed configuration, dining times, vacation protection, the works.  When she finished, she sent me to customer service where they did some behind the scenes magic and applied my previous payment to the new balance and took my payment for the difference.  About 45 minutes on the phone in total, but completely worth it in my opinion.

You may have to call a few times before you get somebody who can help, but its possible.  YMMV.

Thats great!

MMV  (My Mileage Varied) for sure.  Just tried that on my upcoming cruise and couldn't do it.  Princess was not willing to move me up despite the cabin I booked now being about $500 less than I paid.  I got a whopping $100 OBC instead.  Sometimes it works, but this time it didn't.  :classic_wink: