Golden Gate View - Suite or Deck?

ian441672

Hey - We are fortunate enough to be sailing on the Grand on July 15, on a 10 day round trip to Alaska, departing San Francisco.

We have booked one of the Owners Suites at the aft and was wondering where would be the best place to view the iconic sailing under the bridge - from the comfort and privacy of our nice large balcony but perhaps a lesser view, or from an atmospheric top deck with a more panoramic view with being able to dart from one side of the boat to the other?

Perhaps in typing this, I have just answered my own question!

Views would be welcome. Thanks.

Ian.

Recently, on the Royal Princess, fellow CC members invited us to a SF sail away party on their aft suite.  The views were lovely, but I will say that when sailing under the bridge, there's nothing like being on the highest deck.  It feels like you are so close to the bridge, that you could just reach out and touch it.  I would stay on my balcony, but when you get close to the bridge, it's worth it to run up to the top deck for a minute. 

We were on the Island Princess in a suite on deck 12 and I took this picture with my iPhone.  I enjoyed my balcony while we sailed away from SF, but I think is a personal preference on where you would think the best viewing of the bridge will be. Have a wonderful cruise.

fullsizeoutput_2ba7.jpeg

If this is your first time going under the Golden Gate, getting the full experience of approaching, then going under then past the bridge is a pretty wonderful experience. Sitting aft is a pretty plain experience because you will only experience the going under then leaving.

You are correct, you pretty much answered the question yourself.

Happy Cruising!

John

DSCN3990.jpg.ea501bcc0a1fd5b958c9244a0734558f.jpg

Personally, if this is your one time sailing in, I wouldn’t do it from an aft balcony. You’ll miss all the beauty of sailing in. For me, sailing in before you go under was the most spectacular part. We had great timing and sailed in at sunrise. Just beautiful. 

Edited by KruzPrincess

Do both🙂  Watch from up top when approaching and going under, and then go to your suite to watch it recede into the distance.  I have done it this way at least five times.

No matter what, enjoy!  ⛴️🛳🐳🌈🌅🐋🎥⛴🛥🚢📷

• Like 2

We’ve sailed out of San Francisco many times and always stay in an aft suite, and are always on deck, up high, in the front of the ship when we approach and then go under the bridge. There’s an excitement generated from all of the people, and the view is far superior to a balcony. We also wake up early when we return and experience going under the bridge pre-dawn. Another exciting experience with not as many people and great picture ops!

Another thing about being on deck for sail away - you can see 360 degrees of the sights. From your balcony, you only have 180 degrees. 

That said, no matter where you are for sail away, going under the bridge is exciting!

• Like 1

Seven years ago we did a California coastal cruise with an aft suite.  For arrival in San Francisco we were up on deck at the front of the ship.  For departure - as the sun set - we were on our balcony as the sky and all the buildings in the city turned gold.  It was breathtaking.  We had dinner (full suites can order off the MDR menu) on our balcony as we sailed under the golden gate bridge.  Truly memorable!

We have done this twice on Grand.  We stand at the very front of the ship on deck 15 (or 16?).  We did it in November and we did it a couple weeks ago.  I just have to warn you that it is unbelievably windy and cold. Very cold. I thought it might be slightly warmer in May, but no. Also,  anyone with long hair needs to have it fully secured.  Any loose hair will be an absolute rat's nest by the time you get under the bridge! The first time we did this, it took my husband and I both working on detangling my hair for 45 minutes to get it presentable for dinner.   It's totally worth it, but you need to be properly prepared.  

• Like 2

On the topmost deck with unobstructed views is absolutely the best.  Once sailing under the bridge you can always move to the back of the ship to get the aft views.  And once you get up to Alaska and are fortunate enough to be in Glacier Bay you absolutely want to be on top on the open decks to enjoy the 360 degree vies that is available to fully appreciate the splendor of Alaska.  We've done several cruises to Alaska in an oceanview cabin and have never once regretted not having a balcony when there are so many great viewing spots on the open decks.  But of course we've never been there with rain.

Arriving and departing, breathtaking. Yes, get up to highest deck! This was on the Grand to Hawaii 4/19. We were also thrilled to see whales, however brief. 

1FF3D1EB-2FE1-4B6A-8D70-DF8888E0FD2C.jpeg

A777F435-7128-490F-A4E0-DD64F71ECD95.jpeg