No more ice buckets/ice for rooms

fstuff1

i knew about no more animal towels.

but on my cruise on the Dawn last week, there wasnt any ice/ice buckets either.

(both still available upon request.)

i'm glad they stopped both.

i didnt need either but on previous cruises when i asked my cabin steward to skip them for me, he still did both. 

waste of time/effort. 😞

now, being cynical, does this mean more cabins assigned to stewards thus less labor costs for NCL?

Edited by fstuff1

If NCL is going to do away with the room steward filling the ice bucket every night then the simple solution would be to provide ice machines on each deck so passenger can refill their own bucket.

I'll be leaving on Saturday to fly to Vancouver for an 11 day cruise/tour on the Holland Westerdam.  Since this will be my first time on a Holland ship it will be interesting to see how it compares to NCL.  I will be needing ice every evening so I can ice up my ankle to keep the swelling down.  I'm still recovering from broken ankle surgery that was done in mid-January.  I already know about one negative and one positive with the Westerdam.  The negative, no coffee maker in the cabin, NCL has me spoiled.  The positive, 14 elevators for just 2000 passengers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

i knew about no more animal towels.

but on my cruise on the Dawn last week, there wasnt any ice/ice buckets either.

(both still available upon request.)

i'm glad they stopped both.

i didnt need either but on previous cruises when i asked my cabin steward to skip them for me, he still did both. 

waste of time/effort. 😞

now, being cynical, does this mean more cabins assigned to stewards thus less labor costs for NCL?

That is how we feel as well, but will it mean more cabins for the cabin stewards, we will never know. No matter what we are told,  does't always result in the truth, regardless as to who tells this to us. 

I was just thinking, on our last cruise which was Feb, our cabin steward knocked on our door every afternoon to ask if we wanted fresh ice. I almost was getting annoyed. If we are in our cabin during the day it is to rest. We had never before had one do this. WE did have ice morning and again at night Now, I wonder if they were doing a survey on how many people really use the ice that much? If makes good sense and maybe they figureed out there wasn't enough demand to bother. Just a thought.

5 hours ago, casofilia said:

We have just had 6 cruises, Inside, on the Sky, the Jade and the Star and never saw a towel animal at all.   We did have an ice bucket on each one and it got plenty of use.

Out of curiosity why do you not get towel animals (not that I want them) in an inside cabin but you do in a Balcony when the service charges are the same are they not :classic_rolleyes:

Why is this a topic.  If you do not care......... you do not care.  And if you do care........Just Ask and you will receive and quit complaining on CC.  Just another reason to blame a cruise line for a bad experience.   Now lets end is thread.   This is silly.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

Why is this a topic.  If you do not care......... you do not care.  And if you do care........Just Ask and you will receive and quit complaining on CC.  Just another reason to blame a cruise line for a bad experience.   Now lets end is thread.   This is silly.

Agree 100%!

I always take care of my cabin steward before and at the end of the cruise.

I have never had an issue getting an ice bucket and never will!:classic_biggrin:

But I do like the ice machine idea....makes sense if they can find space for it.

• Like 1

I have seen people post here before that for an entire cruise, they didn't realize they had ice being left in their cabins, or didn't realize until the end. Many people don't use this amenity. I think it makes sense for the stewards to only bring it upon the request of guests who will actually use it.

Whomever suggested having ice machines:  that is unnecessary. They will bring you a bucket with ice if you ask for it. That is what is being reported here, for those who have been in cabins without.

1 hour ago, jskinsd said:

how about dont come into this thread?

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

So your original headline is wrong...there are in fact ice buckets to be had...just more drama with your wording I suppose. 

what r u talking about?

i was on the dawn last week. 

there was no ice bucket.

none of the stewards on my floor had those Igloo ice chests they normally use to fill the ice buckets.

what part of 'I was on the Dawn last week and there was no ice bucket' do you not understand?

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

what r u talking about?

i was on the dawn last week. 

there was no ice bucket.

none of the stewards on my floor had those Igloo ice chests they normally use to fill the ice buckets.

what part of 'I was on the Dawn last week and there was no ice bucket' do you not understand?

Re read your thread title..that’s all I’m saying...

See .... we realized, walking around.

On the Dawn this month, RS on Deck 4 or 5 (steerage deck ?? with no balconies 🤔) has no ice cooler what so ever on a daily basis. Feel free to ask, for your convenience 🙄 but, as always YMMV - go ahead, just saying & ask.  Welcome to the new world like economy basics.  Dawn was 1 of 4 ships doing the towel animal experiment.

IMG_20190515_141006458.jpg

Edited by mking8288

1 hour ago, LrgPizza said:

I have seen people post here before that for an entire cruise, they didn't realize they had ice being left in their cabins, or didn't realize until the end. Many people don't use this amenity. I think it makes sense for the stewards to only bring it upon the request of guests who will actually use it.

I totally agree.  Celebrity does the same thing; no ice bucket in the cabin, but if you want one, you just ask.  Why waste the Cabin Stewards time filling and refilling an ice bucket if someone doesn't want it.

If NCL is going to do away with the room steward filling the ice bucket every night then the simple solution would be to provide ice machines on each deck so passenger can refill their own bucket.

That will help contribute to the increasing 'you're staying in an airport motel' vibe. 😉

4 minutes ago, perditax said:

That will help contribute to the increasing 'you're staying in an airport motel' vibe. 😉

Exactly, and who wants the room near the noisy ice machine and the people talking over the noise?

• Like 2