Symphony for seniors

I want to go on a cruise with at least one port we haven't been to. DH wants to go on the biggest newest ship.  I booked Symphony that stops at St Thomas, been there several times, St Kitts never been and Perfect Day Cocoa Cay never been.   We are partial to newer ships with good entertainment have been on Oasis & Allure a few years ago and liked them. Some reviews I recently read said the Symphony is more for families. We are seniors in our mid 70's do you think we made a mistake? 

You will have a fantastic time!  There is no min or max age or group number for enjoying what a ship offers. It sounds like you have done your homework and know what you like and you chose wisely. 

Any ship will have families of course. We sailed Symphony last Christmas and are going on her again for New Years, and there is a big mix of couples, families and everywhere in between. 

Enjoy!

53 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

I want to go on a cruise with at least one port we haven't been to. DH wants to go on the biggest newest ship.  I booked Symphony that stops at St Thomas, been there several times, St Kitts never been and Perfect Day Cocoa Cay never been.   We are partial to newer ships with good entertainment have been on Oasis & Allure a few years ago and liked them. Some reviews I recently read said the Symphony is more for families. We are seniors in our mid 70's do you think we made a mistake? 

If you enjoyed the Oasis and the Allure, you already know what these big ships offer.  Symphony should please you also.  🙂

(Reviews would say that same thing about Oasis and Allure being good choices for families)

14 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

Both Oasis and Allure were built before the recent fad of water parks and slides, laser tag, virtual reality, and other interactive activities, so they don't have as many of their areas dedicated to such "amusement park" features. Oasis class ships built later have more of these features which makes them more kid family friendly. Water slides now dominate the view in several places, and the pool deck has slides close to two of the pools. So the atmosphere is different, especially for non-family cruisers. Oasis is scheduled for a major 63 day refurbishment in October which will add all these "amusement park" features, and more, which will change the feel of the ship in several areas.

We have an Oasis cruise booked for next March. Now that the ship will have all these new kid focused features added, we are rethinking our plans. The cruise was to celebrate a 70th b-day.  

Image result for symphony of the seas pool deck

Image result for symphony of the seas boardwalk

Image result for symphony of the seas slides

Image result for royal caribbean sky pad

52 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

Image result for royal caribbean sky pad

Edit to my post immediately above:

This is the Sky Pad, a virtual reality trampoline/bungee cord experience. It is NOT on Symphony. But I have read that it will be added to Oasis during her refit. 

Sorry for any confusion about what is on Symphony of the Seas. 

Royal Caribbean markets to families. I would certainly never rule out the ship because it had waterslides. 

We recently returned from the symphony of the seas. We are seniors  traveling alone.   We had one of the most fantastic cruises we’ve ever had, and we take quite a few cruises.      We didn’t care if there were slides, Flow riders,  kids club etc. What we enjoyed was some of the fabulous specialty restaurants and the most unbelievable entertainment we’ve ever seen on a cruise ship

m

• Like 1

If you liked the entertainment on Oasis and Allure, you will LOVE the shows on Symphony!  The amount of young families w/children all depends on the time of year.

Relax and enjoy your cruise 🙂

p.s. Even if you've already seen Hairspray on Oasis, don't miss it on Symphony - it's been re-done and is even better!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

No.  The ship has a mixture of everyone on board.  Being the ship is so large there are still plenty of spaces where seniors can enjoy quiet time away from kids.

The schooner lounge on Deck #6 is usually very quiet.  There is a Jazz club on Deck #4 and of course the solarium offers plenty of "kids free zone" space to relax.  The main hot tub/pool at the front of the solarium is usually crowded but the hot tubs to the sides of the solarium (by the entrances) are usually relaxing.  If you sail suites there is even more quiet space available. 

Absolutely go enjoy a trip on an Oasis class ship! DH and I are seniors, but we love the shows and food on this class ship.

We've been on all 4 sisters, and have Harmony booked again for September.

We enjoy the ability to move between areas with lots of activity and to have multiple places to read and chill.

The music choices are unmatched by any other class of RCI ships--Jazz on 4, the variety of clubs and bars, and the music in Central Park.

Enjoy what we find to be the greatest floating resort and entertainment center.

Barb

Since you have been on the Oasis and the Allure, you know the basics.  Think of the "family friendly" parts on Symphony as additions to what you have experienced on Oasis/Allure without detracting from the adult side.

You should be fine.