Just off Pursuit

excitedofharpenden

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just off the Quest a week ago and made good use of the gym.  Nothing like seeing whales while running on the treadmill!!  I travel a lot for work - almost each week - so gyms in hotels are very important - many are not as well equipped for it's size as the Quest and Journey.    There was a treadmill out of order the entire cruise but I have to assume a new part was on order.   I also took advantage of the Spin classes - which no longer cost extra as they did the last time I was on the ship (and therefore, I did not do)      Quest opens their gym at 6am, which I love and Journey not until 7am  (at least last Christmas when I was on)  - which meant a shorter or not at all work out for me if we were heading into port.       I certainly appreciate having the gym - easy access to water, Purell wipes and towels.    And, it was never so busy that I had to wait on a machine but there was always a number of people working out. 

41 minutes ago, PAtravelbug said:

I'm just off the Quest a week ago and made good use of the gym.  Nothing like seeing whales while running on the treadmill!!  I travel a lot for work - almost each week - so gyms in hotels are very important - many are not as well equipped for it's size as the Quest and Journey.    There was a treadmill out of order the entire cruise but I have to assume a new part was on order.   I also took advantage of the Spin classes - which no longer cost extra as they did the last time I was on the ship (and therefore, I did not do)      Quest opens their gym at 6am, which I love and Journey not until 7am  (at least last Christmas when I was on)  - which meant a shorter or not at all work out for me if we were heading into port.       I certainly appreciate having the gym - easy access to water, Purell wipes and towels.    And, it was never so busy that I had to wait on a machine but there was always a number of people working out. 

Great to hear the spin classes are now included!

As an aside, I'm from Ridgway  My parents used to take us to the Penney's in Bradford for school shopping 😃

On 5/28/2019 at 10:45 AM, excitedofharpenden said:

Sitting at Rome airport. It's time to go!  We had a lovely back to back on Pursuit. Good food, great service and totally friendly atmosphere. Very different guests on the second 5 night Grand Prix cruise to the 9 night Athens to Nice. Louder, but everyone seemed very well behaved. 

One real disappointment. The only rowing machine is broken. It's been like that for a number of weeks and gives a bad impression with an "out of order" sign on it. My understanding is that it is not going to be replaced because of the cost. If this is the story then my message is clear. A premium line like Azamara should have a fully equipped gym.  It's not without this equipment. 

Because the low impact nature of the rowing machine suits my fitness it is a great way for me to keep the pounds off. I can't use the treadmills. 

I've taken this up the line, but to be honest have not received a satisfactory response. Post here if you agree that if it's broken then Pursuit needs a new rowing machine ASAP. 

Aside from this and as I intimated earlier, Pursuit was great. 

Phil 

On 5/29/2019 at 6:21 PM, Ithikan said:

Bonnie, may I ask your thoughts on this?  Do you have any insight as to the age and condition of the exercise equipment now in Pursuit's gym?  Were these items purchased new, or are they "refurbished" P&O pieces?  If possible, could you please check with Miami and get back to us on this forum?

Granted, one cannot simply toss a rowing machine overboard if broken.  If beyond repair, it must be dealt with appropriately but before that, any piece of gym equipment should be properly cleaned and maintained throughout its 2 to 5 year lifespan.  What is Pursuit's maintenance schedule, and how many machines are on their last threads??

Thank you, as always, for your time and attention.

Teri

Dear Phil

I am not surprised that you have not had a response from Azamara.  After our first and last time on Pursuit I wrote a very pleasant letter to the UK MD and never had a reply.  Considering we helped Pursuit out enormously by taking an extra two bags with us back to Blighty that belonged to a passenger who had to leave due to ill health in Brazil I was a tad surprised.  The old Azamara firstly would not have allowed themselves to find themselves in that position with the luggage and  secondly the UK MD would have replied immediately to my message.  

I think it is appalling that the rowing machine is not being replaced - would not happen on Seabourne.  There again the sloppy way badly dressed passengers are allowed into Discovery would not happen on Seabourne ether.

Belinda

9 minutes ago, Belinda-Jane said:

I think it is appalling that the rowing machine is not being replaced - would not happen on Seabourne.  There again the sloppy way badly dressed passengers are allowed into Discovery would not happen on Seabourne ether.

Belinda

Please see post#33 in which Bonnie confirms that the rowing machine is being replaces.

1 minute ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Please see post#33 in which Bonnie confirms that the rowing machine is being replaces.

Thanks for letting me know and so it should be.  How typical of the middle management on Pursuit to allow Phil to think it would not be.  Not very professional.

2 hours ago, Belinda-Jane said:

Thanks for letting me know and so it should be.  How typical of the middle management on Pursuit to allow Phil to think it would not be.  Not very professional.

Hey Belinda!  I'm not going to lay blame with the crew on Pursuit. The impression I got was they'd tried and nothing had happened. I was more disappointed in the way my raising the issue was handled up the line. You'd think that at least I should have received a courtesy definitive answer rather than reading about it here.

The broken rowing machine was removed from the ship after I posted about it here and subsequently Bonnie confirmed that it would be replaced (any word from a recent cruiser on whether it has or when?).  I'm not saying it was my intervention that got a result and to be honest I am not worried about that, but I am rather miffed that nobody bothered to close the matter with me, but rather just gave me a brush off response for me to read about it later on Cruise Critic. That is not very professional.  It's not as if I'm a first time cruiser who they don't know from Adam and my only intention was to be constructive, to both Azamara and its guests. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 3

On 6/13/2019 at 7:41 PM, hiccups said:

Great to hear the spin classes are now included!

As an aside, I'm from Ridgway  My parents used to take us to the Penney's in Bradford for school shopping 😃

whoa.  I don't "meet" many people who know this part of PA!   I lived in Ridgeway for a few years in advance of Kindergarten.    Alas, the Bradford Mall is not what it used to be.

There was still at least one class that cost money - A boot camp class.    But yes - game changer for me with the no charge for spin classes.

Edited by PAtravelbug

1 hour ago, PAtravelbug said:

whoa.  I don't "meet" many people who know this part of PA!   I lived in Ridgeway for a few years in advance of Kindergarten.    Alas, the Bradford Mall is not what it used to be.

There was still at least one class that cost money - A boot camp class.    But yes - game changer for me with the no charge for spin classes.

I call tell you lived there before you learned to spell, because you stuck an "e" in Ridgway  🙂   My parents only recently left after 54 years there (they didn't go far--moved to DuBois to live with my brother).  When I was in HS our ski club would go to Holiday Valley and stop at Fox's Pizza Den in Bradford; when Ridgway got its own Fox's, it was like we'd hit the big time!  LOL.

Eventually the trips to the Bradford Mall gave way to shopping from the Sears catalog because it was eaiser.  Another relic of bygone days!

On 6/18/2019 at 6:09 PM, hiccups said:

I call tell you lived there before you learned to spell, because you stuck an "e" in Ridgway  🙂   My parents only recently left after 54 years there (they didn't go far--moved to DuBois to live with my brother).  When I was in HS our ski club would go to Holiday Valley and stop at Fox's Pizza Den in Bradford; when Ridgway got its own Fox's, it was like we'd hit the big time!  LOL.

Eventually the trips to the Bradford Mall gave way to shopping from the Sears catalog because it was eaierer.  Another relic of bygone days!

Yep - never really considered the spelling of Ridgway! - It was auto-corrected for me anyways to the wrong way.     We just got a Fox's Pizza Den on East main street where it meets South Kendall.  There must of been one in Bradford once before.   

Holiday Valley is still going strong.  Ellicottville is quite the charming town.   We just lost our Sears Catalog store! 

• Like 1