Just off Pursuit

excitedofharpenden

Sitting at Rome airport. It's time to go!  We had a lovely back to back on Pursuit. Good food, great service and totally friendly atmosphere. Very different guests on the second 5 night Grand Prix cruise to the 9 night Athens to Nice. Louder, but everyone seemed very well behaved. 

One real disappointment. The only rowing machine is broken. It's been like that for a number of weeks and gives a bad impression with an "out of order" sign on it. My understanding is that it is not going to be replaced because of the cost. If this is the story then my message is clear. A premium line like Azamara should have a fully equipped gym.  It's not without this equipment. 

Because the low impact nature of the rowing machine suits my fitness it is a great way for me to keep the pounds off. I can't use the treadmills. 

I've taken this up the line, but to be honest have not received a satisfactory response. Post here if you agree that if it's broken then Pursuit needs a new rowing machine ASAP. 

Aside from this and as I intimated earlier, Pursuit was great. 

Phil 

• Like 2

The gym equipment on Pursuit was in a very poor state last year. It’s shocking that a premium line doesn’t recognise the importance and need for guests to maintain a health regime and that treadmills don’t work for everyone 

29 minutes ago, Belfastman said:

For anyone who remembers Mustafa he has been promoted to F&B manager. Well deserved IMO.

We have know Mustafa since the early days the line, he has been promoted several times, very well deserved, looking forward to seeing him again next month.

Edited by Bloodaxe

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

One real disappointment. The only rowing machine is broken. It's been like that for a number of weeks and gives a bad impression with an "out of order" sign on it. My understanding is that it is not going to be replaced because of the cost. If this is the story then my message is clear. A premium line like Azamara should have a fully equipped gym.  It's not without this equipment. 

Because the low impact nature of the rowing machine suits my fitness it is a great way for me to keep the pounds off. I can't use the treadmills. 

I've taken this up the line, but to be honest have not received a satisfactory response. Post here if you agree that if it's broken then Pursuit needs a new rowing machine ASAP. 

Phil 

Good grief times must be hard for Azamara if the cost of a rowing machine can't be met!

Yes, replace the broken rowing machine now!

Edited by Glenndale
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Sitting at Rome airport. It's time to go!  We had a lovely back to back on Pursuit. Good food, great service and totally friendly atmosphere. Very different guests on the second 5 night Grand Prix cruise to the 9 night Athens to Nice. Louder, but everyone seemed very well behaved. 

Phil 

Glad you had a great time on Pursuit Phil, however it’s really not good enough to have broken equipment in the Gym or anywhere else for that matter. Hopefully those up the line will listen and get something done, can’t help feeling after seeing all the hoo-haa over Edge in Southampton that Azamara is definitely the poor relation in Royal Caribbean. 

52 minutes ago, Belfastman said:

For anyone who remembers Mustafa he has been promoted to F&B manager. Well deserved IMO.

Congratulations to Mustafa, certainly well deserved hopefully we’ll catch up with him soon.

24 minutes ago, Glenndale said:

Good grief times must be hard for Azamara if the cost of a rowing machine can't be met!

Yes, replace the broken rowing machine now!

It absolutely should be repaired or replaced--there's no excuse for that.  We'll be on Pursuit in October and I certainly hope the situation is remedied by then.  The gym is usually crowded and having a piece of equipment out of service matters.

Premium lines have extensive fitness facilities.

If you can't maintain a piece of gym equipment, maybe you're not a premium line.

That's perfectly fine, we need lines at all levels, but it's a shame to market yourself as A when you're B.

• Like 3

Well I think you know my thoughts Phil on the gym. 

As a regular daily user of this facility I would expect the equipment to be maintained and replaced promptly.

It can get quite busy in there so it’s important to have safe functional equipment. We have to wait until November for our next Pursuit outing, so I’ll watch this space!

vicki

My husband, too, is a daily gym user and the rowing machine is an absolutely essential part of his regime.  

For LOTS of travelers, the availability and condition of work-out space is key to hotel selection.  That Azamara has allowed their equipment to break down and then languish, unusable, for "several weeks," is seriously concerning.  What on earth has happened to this cruise line? 

I sure hope Azamara keeps the gym equipment up to snuff. This is an important part of my cruising decision, and if the gym falls into disrepair, it would be very unfortunate.

John R.

It sounds like the equipment was not new if it was in a bad state last year as a poster mentioned?  Which is odd because I thought everything was new on the ship when it was completely redone prior to the Maiden voyage in August 2018.  If it wasn't new then where did it come from?  Leftover from previous cruise line AZ purchased the ship from?  If so that's ridiculous.

Well I'm glad I'm not alone in my thoughts. Several of the spinning machines also don't adjust properly. I think that Pursuit is suffering from a lack of maintenance as a throwback to its P & O days which manifested itself elsewhere too.  On a ship that has had such a huge investment to Azamarify it I really don't get it.  It needs sorting. 

Phil 

Are you kidding me .... replace the rowing machine right away! How can you claim to be a premium line and let broken substandard devices or equipment of any kind linger? My hubby and I use the rower at least 3 to 4 times per week.

Come on Azamara...

A.

Just saw the post re the spin bikes. Those are less than satisfactory as well? Getting very nervous about our upcoming B2B cruise. Hope the experience as a whole isn't lacking. I love my gym time and especially want to enjoy it on my vacation. Yikes.

A.

I too, use the rowing machine and hearing that Azamara won’t be replacing it because it’s too expensive strains credulity. It’s insulting to pay premium prices and be offered second rate, non-working or poorly working fitness equipment. Leaving the broken machine in place is tacky as well. Please, Pursuit, get your act together. I’ll be on board in a couple of months and expect more than this.

Glad you had a great time otherwise, Phil, and sorry you have to do a fitness catch-up at home now!

Melissa

Given the prices Azamara now charge to guests, they should have state of the art gym equipment - they have to do some reinvestment. They save a hell of a lot of money on their “free” movie and TV show offerings, so at least provide quality, working gym equipment.

Bonnie, may I ask your thoughts on this?  Do you have any insight as to the age and condition of the exercise equipment now in Pursuit's gym?  Were these items purchased new, or are they "refurbished" P&O pieces?  If possible, could you please check with Miami and get back to us on this forum?

Granted, one cannot simply toss a rowing machine overboard if broken.  If beyond repair, it must be dealt with appropriately but before that, any piece of gym equipment should be properly cleaned and maintained throughout its 2 to 5 year lifespan.  What is Pursuit's maintenance schedule, and how many machines are on their last threads??

Thank you, as always, for your time and attention.

Teri

• Like 1