Hype over Ocean Cay fizzling since everything a la carte

LMaxwell

When I was looking at the renderings I did a quick calculation based on that it looked like they had four of those four top picnic tables and ten two top tables under each of those umbrellas, totaling about 36 people per umbrella.  I also figured there would never actually be that much empty space and reality would probably be closer to 50 people crammed in a bit closer.  It looks like at least 10 to 12 umbrellas in the area and I was guessing seating for 500 to 600, so I laughed when I read your actual number.  They would need to turn those tables over four times during lunch hours just to be able to seat about half of the people from Meraviglia.  I can't see anything even close to that actually happening in the 3 1/2 hours it's open, especially when looking at the size of the food serving area.  The best solution to me would be to also have a ship MDR open for lunch, like on a sea day.  If you only give people a choice between the same old ship buffet and Seakers Bahamian buffet it's going to be overwhelmed.  I'd be more likely to consider going back to the ship for a sit down MDR lunch.

Edited by Até
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Até said:

I think MSC originally planned on the majority of people going back onto the ship for lunch and to encourage that they set the island buffet price at $19.  Perhaps I'm misreading the size of the Seakers facility from the renditions, but if they are now making it complimentary I worry about problems because as depicted it does not appear adequately sized to handle the number of people that will now plan on eating there.

Thank you for the explanation.  I did not realize that MSC's crew to passenger ratio was so much lower than other cruise lines.  When comparing it to other ships, it sure it!  Also, with only seating 600 people I can see where a problem would come in.

On 6/9/2019 at 9:41 PM, Fogfog said:

Any updates on how the facilities are coming along?

I spoke to MSC UK today concerning an itinerary which said it included OC in early November, she advised the first cruises will not stop there until 16th or 18th November 2019. She didn't sound 100% certain but said that was the information on her system.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 11:15 PM, Até said:

MSC still talks about Deluxe and standard versions, with the difference being included service amenities, even though currently only the standard ones are available.  Then additionally there are the YC ocean view and oceanfront versions which will be in a separate area developed later in Spring.  I see some specific ones shown at the Aurea spa area, but the standard ones are a little obscure,  my guess would be in the North and South beach areas around the lagoon.

Any idea on when the YC facilities will be available? We have B2B booked and so 2 stops at O.C.

Would hate that we paid for something and it isn't there yet

14 hours ago, Até said:

When I was looking at the renderings I did a quick calculation based on that it looked like they had four of those four top picnic tables and ten two top tables under each of those umbrellas, totaling about 36 people per umbrella.  I also figured there would never actually be that much empty space and reality would probably be closer to 50 people crammed in a bit closer.  It looks like at least 10 to 12 umbrellas in the area and I was guessing seating for 500 to 600, so I laughed when I read your actual number.  They would need to turn those tables over four times during lunch hours just to be able to seat about half of the people from Meraviglia.  I can't see anything even close to that actually happening in the 3 1/2 hours it's open, especially when looking at the size of the food serving area.  The best solution to me would be to also have a ship MDR open for lunch, like on a sea day.  If you only give people a choice between the same old ship buffet and Seakers Bahamian buffet it's going to be overwhelmed.  I'd be more likely to consider going back to the ship for a sit down MDR lunch.

Aren't there supposed to be "food truck" style options as well?

Families picnic-ing on the beach etc?

I suspect the capacity isn't much different from other cruise line private islands, correct?

15 hours ago, Brendaflamingo said:

Thank you Bret, that was very informative. 

How did acquire this information?  It seems very hard to find out what you know.

thanks

Brenda

Let's just say it helps to have friends in high places at the cruise lines. 🤫

3 hours ago, Fogfog said:

Aren't there supposed to be "food truck" style options as well?

Yes, during the day there will be 3 food trucks available at a cost but will have several selections of both hot and cold food. Additionally, the Lighthouse Bar (which seats 260) opens at 11:30 and is scheduled to be open until the ALL ABOARD time. This one serves snacks at a cost and has a good selection of cocktails, beer and spirits. Here's the tentative snack menu from the Lighthouse Bar:

Conch Fritters
Ocean Cay Secret Sauce
Conch Chowder
Served with warm Johnny Cakes

Salad Jar From The Sea
Shrimp and Avocado with Lime and Cilantro

Salad Jar From The Land
Grilled Chicken, Mango Pesto

Shrimp Cocktail
Spicy Tropical Relish

Bahamas Jerk Chicken Sandwich
Jamaican Rice Wrap

Chicken Wings
Garlic, Lime, Tamarind

Hope this helps.

Bret

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/10/2019 at 8:01 AM, Domen said:

I will be visiting Ocean Cay in November 9th (first visitors 🙂) with Meraviglia. Cant wait!

From what I read it should be great experience. Personally I love that we will dock for a full day, because I think I will be able to explore the whole island.

Regarding buffet there is inconsistency with info on the fee. In the FAQ area it states:

"Yes, the island will offer a family buffet restaurant, food trucks, bars, and an ice cream parlor. Seakers Buffet (family buffet) is complimentary for all guests, while the food trucks, bars and ice-cream parlor will charge a nominal fee ($). "

But when you click on "Explore the Island" and than on Seakers Buffet it is written:

"At Seakers Food Court, guests will find freshly prepared meals and authentic Bahamian flavors for a small fee."

Its an "MSCism".  lol.  The left hand and right hand don't always communicate, and when they do, sometimes it's in two different languages (or smoke signals).. I'm quickly learning the MSC way, and it's not intentional, it's a learning curve to an extent.  I'm sure it will be complimentary, the competition still is.  

9 minutes ago, Norwegian Cruiser 73 said:

I'm curious if there will be any inhabitants on the island once finished. I believe there are a couple of inhabitants on the Great Stirrup Cay of NCL. 

Is your avatar from a photo of Seaview, NC?

To answer your question:  I believe that they're building accommodation for a small number of staff that will live permanently on the island for maintenance purposes, etc.

9 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Is your avatar from a photo of Seaview, NC?

To answer your question:  I believe that they're building accommodation for a small number of staff that will live permanently on the island for maintenance purposes, etc.

Thank you for the information, I was thinking the same. Yes, it's from the Sunset Beach Pool in the aft part of the ship. Awesome pool area with a great bar with gelato from Venchi. Soon 🔜 Bea 🤗

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

I spoke to MSC UK today concerning an itinerary which said it included OC in early November, she advised the first cruises will not stop there until 16th or 18th November 2019. She didn't sound 100% certain but said that was the information on her system.

The first ship will be Mereviglia on her repositioning cruise from NYC to Miami.

6 hours ago, ssmea03 said:

The first ship will be Mereviglia on her repositioning cruise from NYC to Miami.

And so does the clockdown timer shows.

Maybe there is a delay with last minute work, but there is still 4 months to go. That should be enough to cover the difference of one week.

7 hours ago, ssmea03 said:

We'll be on that cruise, Matt ... I'm not banking on the island being ready, though.  Hopefully no-one's booked it just to be the first on the island.  Otherwise it'll end up with a similar fuss to the one going on about the Cuba  cancellation  😱 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beamafar said:

We'll be on that cruise, Matt ... I'm not banking on the island being ready, though.  Hopefully no-one's booked it just to be the first on the island.  Otherwise it'll end up with a similar fuss to the one going on about the Cuba  cancellation  😱 

I will be on the same cruise 🙂

If they cancel the Ocean Cay I hope we will get some other island in the Bahamas. Extra day in Miami would be a great dissapointment... But I am an optimist for Ocean Cay

33 minutes ago, Domen said:

If they cancel the Ocean Cay I hope we will get some other island in the Bahamas. Extra day in Miami would be a great dissapointment... But I am an optimist for Ocean Cay

I doubt if they would do an extra day in Miami, usually Nassau or Freeport or even a sea day.  We are on the Seaside the 4 weeks after you so hoping we will make it at least once out of 4 times LOL.

31 minutes ago, Domen said:

Have you joined the roll call?:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2480345-msc-meraviglia-10282019-13-night-repositioning-cruise-nyc-to-miami/

There's also a spreadsheet which you can add your name to, if you wish, and some of the activities planned:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OGrpz7fVw6rum1Mvz3qpzLbVAXPGFgKDSozJlo5O8Mg/edit#gid=0

We have 13 other ports to focus on, most of them firsts for us, so we won't be too disappointed if Ocean Cay isn't ready.  As I've said before when the subject was discussed, I'd be fine with it being substituted with Nassau just to find out for myself what's to dislike about it.  😂

27 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

I'd be fine with it being substituted with Nassau just to find out for myself what's to dislike about it.  😂

Now that is funny! 🤣 You will probably like it if you have never been there, they have great conch fritters at Fish Frys (they also have an amazing Tropical Conch Salad). 

We loved it about the first 7 times, after about 20 or more, we just stay on the ship usually.  We still get off and walk around every once in a while but that is about every few cruises. 

Edited by ready2cruzagain

17 hours ago, Norwegian Cruiser 73 said:

I'm curious if there will be any inhabitants on the island once finished. I believe there are a couple of inhabitants on the Great Stirrup Cay of NCL. 

Yes

From other video/news sites etc

There will be people living on the Cay-- resort workers/dining workers, lifeguards etc

Part of the island dev is housing for all of those people

On 6/10/2019 at 7:58 AM, sidari said:

Fewer staff overall on the ship.

With fewer people using ship board facilities.  Also I would wonder if MSC will have staff dorms for people that stay on the island "full time".  Royal Caribbean does that, so the staff you see manning the bars and buffets are not necessary from the ship.

7 hours ago, Beamafar said:

I work in construction,  there is a time when dates are put back, because the problems are big and solutions have to be planned, and there is a time when men and hours are thrown at a job. Ocean Cay has definitely been through the first phase, but now I think its in the second phase. I believe Mereviglia will definitely call there regardless. You might still see workmen and landscapers, and it might not be 100% ready, but I believe it will open on time.

PS Hurricanes and giant kraken allowing.

Thanks, Matt - that's reassuring.  MSC is obviously concentrating on having the main areas on the island at least usable on the date they've announced, seeing as the YC area is being delayed.  I'd love to think that our cruise would be the first to visit as we certainly won't be sailing in the region for the foreseeable future, so I won't get another opportunity for some time to experience it.